• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Major Rep Dealer Cop Out

Taze00

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/8/13
Hey all, I'm fairly new to the forums so if you haven't met me...Hi

I've been researching and reading for about a month or so now. Really enjoying this hobby!! Still haven't bought my first researched rep yet but I will eventually :)

FIRST I feel it necessary to mention that I'm not needlessly dogging any one person, seller/forum member/TD etc. These ideas expressed hereafter are a culmination viewpoint of the research and knowledge acquired from these forums over the past month.

Ok... to the matter on my mind. In many different occasions I see forum members referring to DOA or damaged watches and that it should be expected. This seems to be said based off the idea that this hobby is dealing with replicas and not the genuine products. Therefore dead movements and or damaged parts/movements should not be a surprise. Further I see complaints of how grimy the movements are and how they are not lubricated.

I cannot agree with this line of thinking at all.

I feel it gives dealers a feeling of not having to be responsible for DOA/damaged product. I have seen many threads of dissatisfied customers and how that basically it's a loss. This ultimately lessens the potential value of their products.

Regardless of the nature of the hobby or the fact that they are replicas, the dealers claim to be selling moderate quality products. Further the movements put into these watches are not "low quality". I see the same type of comments being made of the supposed Swiss Eta movements that are either not Swiss all together or refurbed or frankened movements. WE EXPECT MORE!!

The problem comes down to lack of QC and lack of concern for customer satisfaction. At least that's the vibe I'm getting.

I have purchased Asian made watches (not replicas) and the quality was good. Never had a problem. There are many respectable Asian made watches... Seagull, Memorigin, Sturhling Original, Steinhausen, etc. These watch companies occasionally may have a DOA watch, however from my research it is not very common. At least not as common as I see on these forums.

These watches are not inexpensive by any means. The quality does not seem to match the price tag. I know that some people get "lucky" and never have problems. My point however is that someone shouldn't be considered lucky for getting WHAT THEY PAID FOR.

The fact that the ideas expressed above are said to be expected and further these ideas are promoted lowers the value of the watches in my opinion all together.

Reputation is everything in this business. We all know this, and yet we allow and share these thoughts. I say NO

For 500$ we could buy a Sea-Gull Triple Date Moonphase Chronograph. WITH A WARRANTY! :jaw: Not to mention its a beautiful watch. In my opinion its a very good buy.

For 300-600$ we could buy a Vintage Chronograph off the bay. Usually a Valjoux 7733, 7734, 7736. In a Bulova, or Hamilton, or Waltham, or some other Brand from those times. Normally Diver Chronos.

For 200-500$ we could buy any number of Seiko or Citizen watches that are superb in quality and functionality.

For 100-700$ we could buy endless styles of Asian made watches that come with a 2 year warranty, and that are very classy, very rugged, very sporty, or whatever you prefer.

Anyway I think the point is well made... to reiterate.... The price to quality ratio is not equal. If people are buying these watches just for the appearance... I feel that is very sad, and a disgrace to the watch collecting community. I would dare say that we ARE ABOVE THAT.

Now it wouldn't be fair for me to post this huge long rant and not even suggest any sort of solution... which is what I'm doing now.

It is very simple... Add another layer of QC.... and for goodness sake.... Please clean the movements.... Its so much easier to do while the watch is apart. Acquire an ultrasonic cleaner or have the assemblers rinse the parts in Naphtha during the assembly process. These suggestions although costing some money.... are very simple implementations, and are cheap. I have recently read that the replica industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, so the money is there. Just think how f much happier your customers could be!!!

I'm very interested to see all your thoughts on this subject. :thud:

To the moderators, I want this thread to be a poll if possible. Just a simple agree or disagree would do the trick. Thanks in advance :)

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
The difference is that legitimate brands have higher end factories and equipment. Thats why there is a difference in quality.

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
The difference is that legitimate brands have higher end factories and equipment. Thats why there is a difference in quality.

How does that justify grimy un-oiled movements??

I'm asking for is a little more concern for customer satisfaction. Is that wrong?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Expectations. It's all about realistic expectations.

Don't expect gen-level "quality control" from any rep dealer. (Granted, gens are not flawless.)

That way, when a dirty, flawed, dead rep arrives, you shrug and figure out how to get it repaired or replaced at the lowest cost. Assuming you see it as a worthy pursuit.

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
These are the ideas im talking about... if they aren't the same quality as these other dealers/providers then why do they COST THE SAME.

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
Guess you still don't know what is dealer and what is maker.

Dealers sells the watches, they don't assemble or produce the watch.

Makers produces these watch and they have no time to provide to ultra sonic to every movement they use. It's illegal business and they want the quick money.

What you're looking for sounds more like BK or Vac watches. They will provide the cleaning, regulating etc.

There's also modders who will service your watch to give you a piece of mind.

So everyone has a job and we stay happy. :D

Sent from my Bezel using a 116610

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
If you want a good automatic watch for $200-$300, buy a Seiko, Orient or other value-priced brands.

If you want a rep, buy a rep.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Many are sold in their current condition....dirty movements etc. The "factories" have no reason to up the quality by cleaning movements and adding QC. That would increase their costs and reduce their profits. They have no reason to do this.

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
Many are sold in their current condition....dirty movements etc. The "factories" have no reason to up the quality by cleaning movements and adding QC. That would increase their costs and reduce their profits. They have no reason to do this.

For the price... I cant see justifying this statement

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
How can someone be wrong in expecting a new watch to be clean and working when then receive it?

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
If people are buying these watches just for the appearance... I feel that is very sad, and a disgrace to the watch collecting community. I would dare say that we ARE ABOVE THAT.

New here myself. I've purchased a couple of reps and have done a lot of reading and learning.
If I'm honest, I'd say that is the EXACT reason I'm buying these watches. I mean really, in this day of iPhone's and Droids, who really needs a watch at all? They are more a piece of jewelry than a time keeper. Also, the illusion of wearing a watch worth thousands is appealing to me. So, call me sad or call me a disgrace (just don't call me Shirley). My $.02

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
Why increase costs by adding cleaning and QC when they don't need to do so? The "factories" are out to make as much money as quickly as possible.

Simple... it leaves customers unhappy and they don't return. It actually results in loss of profit.

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
New here myself. I've purchased a couple of reps and have done a lot of reading and learning.
If I'm honest, I'd say that is the EXACT reason I'm buying these watches. I mean really, in this day of iPhone's and Droids, who really needs a watch at all? They are more a piece of jewelry than a time keeper. Also, the illusion of wearing a watch worth thousands is appealing to me. So, call me sad or call me a disgrace (just don't call me Shirley). My $.02

I may have been a bit dramatic in that statement :)
Your surely :D: entitled to your own feelings without judgement.

Taze00

Banned
7/8/13
So, are you interested owning in well made watches or reps?

The latter is not going to assure the former in many instances.

Just sayin'

This is where there is confusion . If they aren't well made, its misleading to claim for them to be.

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
He doesn't understand it's a illegal rep business.

You will do better with homage watches mate. Invicta, parnis, rotary, that's the direction you should go.

Sent from my Bezel using a 116610

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
I may have been a bit dramatic in that statement :)
Your surely :D: entitled to your own feelings without judgement.

I told you not to call me that :)

One more point: Me and my wife were in San Francisco today. She passed a watch shop and said "Tony, you've got to see these watches" They had a bunch of nice looking watches in the window, most of which I've never heard of. The prices ranged from 200.00 to maybe 500.00 dollars. I told her, "there all crap". Now, a few months ago I would have never said that. If they were 2,000 to 5,000 GENS, I probably would have went in and stayed a while. My point is, any of us can buy a Seiko or Citizen gen watch, but why don't we? Because there is no "wow" factor. So we buy the best possible reps and sometimes deal with DOA watches. In a perfect world, I guess you'd get the same QC for 1/40th the cost.