• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Totally Called Out - Deservingly SO!!!

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Absolute true story.

I went to my local AD today (just to look) and I watched a gentleman, approximately 33-36 years old try on watch after watch.

When he was done, he removed and handed the salesman his two toned 36mm Rolex Datejust and confidently stated something to the effect, "I was having trouble with my... (I could not hear him exactly) on my Rolex Datejust." Then he asked, "What do you suggest?"

The salesman looked at the watch for a few seconds and stated, "May I suggest that you buy a real Rolex." He went to explain how something about the dial alerted him that the watch was not real. There was some banter back and forth and eventually the gentleman left the store (seemingly without shame).

I was floored and actually embarrassed for the gentleman. I am "ASSUMING" that he did not know or realize his watch was fake, maybe an eBay special or something. I hope he wasn't trying to fool the dealer like that.

I just can't see anyone walking into an AD and presenting his watch as authentic and knowing darn well it was a REP. I would NEVER do that!!!

This is an absolute true story...

crossbones

I'm Pretty Popular
3/6/10
what a dummy!

He probably had a Canal St. Special and wanted to see if it was good enough to fool the A.D.

Winemaker

I'm Pretty Popular
4/9/10
I've heard of wives/girlfriends who that their watches in to be serviced or repaired to be told, it's not real. Never in those words but basically the same thing. That's why you always tell someone ur giving them a rep.

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
If he genuinely thought it was real, God bless him! :facepalm:

Otherwise..........:lolcina:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
He may just simply have not known...I am sure he is not the first.

Camaro95

2/4/11
How did the AD react? Did they take the time to explain or did they try to embarass/hassle the guy?

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
"two toned 36mm Rolex Datejust".... and it was the DIAL that gave it away? I'd say that I thought it was probably a really bad rep but that would mean the gold would have given it away first. Odd

TheFrug

9/2/09
I would wear my franken SA with gen strap into an AD but I'd never hand it to them even though I've had it side by side with a gen and not been able to spot the difference without very close inspection and already knowing exactly where to look.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
How did the AD react? Did they take the time to explain or did they try to embarass/hassle the guy?

He was respectful, but firm, but he really did not try to embarrass the guy. He also seemed to know what he was talking about... he may have been a little annoyed for showing the gentleman so many watches without the possibility of a sale though...

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I wear my reps into ADs all the time.
But I make sure my Porsche keys are dangling in plain sight, I wear my Mu-Tai black belt on the outside of whatever clothing I am wearing, and I grimace menacingly at the salespeople throughout my visit. In fact, I maintain eye contact the entire time and never even look at the watches I ask to try on.
Never been called out.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
"two toned 36mm Rolex Datejust".... and it was the DIAL that gave it away? I'd say that I thought it was probably a really bad rep but that would mean the gold would have given it away first. Odd

I swear, I didn't know! I thought it looked real enough, and the Porsche keys hanging out of my pocket should've been enough to convince him that I was legit.
Man, if I only had a friend with a BMW sitting outside. Oh well, lesson learned. :lolcina:

EDIT: DAMN YOU LMR!! You beat me to the punch(line) while I was typing. :thumbsup:

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10

I have no idea what on the dial gave it away... I just overheard some of the conversation. It seems to me that the gold would have been a dead give away too.

I wish I knew what the salesman saw though.

Camaro95

2/4/11
I wear my reps into ADs all the time.
But I make sure my Porsche keys are dangling in plain sight, I wear my Mu-Tai black belt on the outside of whatever clothing I am wearing, and I grimace menacingly at the salespeople throughout my visit. In fact, I maintain eye contact the entire time and never even look at the watches I ask to try on.
Never been called out.
That only works if your Porsche is worth more than his ****ing house. I can tell you were wearing an Armani shirt and Ed Hardy and True Religion so obviously you didn't look poor, you know?

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
Poor guy...I'll bet he got burned by someone when he bought the watch.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I wish I knew what the salesman saw though.
I would have asked him. I'd tell him I have a blow-hard co-worker who is always flashing his around and I've always suspected it was fake because they guy shouldn't be able to afford it. I'd ask him to tell me some of the tells.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
QUOTE=levelmanroger;806441]I wear my reps into ADs all the time.
Never been called out.[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO

Let me get my asbestos underwear on for minute... ok ready.

The following Rant is brought to you by DarthAlex and RWI is NOT responsible for it's content...

So without cracking the case, how can the AD be sure it is a rep? Bear with me for a minute or two...

There are gens with aftermarket bracelets, 16613's with 14k aftermarket center links bracelets, Serti Dials, Franken Gens cobbled together from spare and used parts, and on and on. The dial might have been a reprint or refinished if it was an older model DJ or could have been a used dial from another model. A gen with a watch material bezel and pearl is still a gen, isnt it?. You cannot say it isnt real because of an after market bezel yet many of us zoom into that one detail and make judgement excluding all else. Yuki makes cases that fit gen movements and dials so cracking the case back doesnt necessarily tell the whole story as to authenticity. And Yuki will engrave a case with any serial you want. There are plenty of 16610 Subs upgraded with 16613 yellow gold parts and dials. Just because the case number is wrong doesnt make it fake. It just means it isnt originally a 16613, right?

All that can really be said is that a detail isnt correct without further inspection and even then how do you really know? There are seven versions of LV dial that are known. And I have seen more than one dealer claim gens as fake online because they are unaware of the different gen dials produced in a given series, like the LV. Recently there was a big fuss on this forum about DSSD dials not being matte and only being gloss only to discover that Rolex made a running production change and both versions are genuine.

I had more than one person come into my jewelry store in the 90's with a Rolex with after market parts, or to order after market parts. The majority of my customers avoided the AD 'cause they were cheap! The tendency with those owners was to get aftermarket parts or accessories (gemstone dials and bezels and bracelets) for the least possible amount. They wanted bragging rights for wearing a Rolex, and some had gawd awful blinged out DJ's. But they dont want to pay the price for Rolex service. (And jeez the other day Rolex in NY quoted me $450 to service a 116610!) Most of my old customers would service a watch only when it stopped working, and then they would go to an independent watch guy for half the price.

So here is the point after ranting on like I have: A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. We all try to use "tells" to quickly determine if a watch is fake or real; it is a fun sport no doubt. But the reality is we are making an informed guess. Often someone will post images and have us play "spot the gen" or "identify the fake." I have failed miserably at these games as many of us have because the truth is that unless there are glaring faults on a watch, it just aint that easy to tell sometimes. I have had "Rolex Experts" think my rep was gen and I have seen them think a gen was rep. And an AD in Florida some time ago took a Deep Sea in on trade which was found to be a rep after they sold it and it was sent in for service.

I think most of us are not as clever as we think we are. I know I am not. I have been wrong twice this year already and was in no way spared from being told so. :facepalm:

Maybe the watch was fake. But what if it wasnt? Calling the customer out may not have been a good business move.

BTW Check out the "Rolex" I was sent the other day to take a look at as it had quit running.

I am fairly confident that this one is a fake and will tell the customer so.

:jaw:
fake1.JPG

fake2.JPG

fake3.JPG