• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How I paid $100 to push an acquaintance into paying full retail for a gen Hublot

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Lol, epic story! Thanks for sharing.

Edit: wanted to add the cheers smilie, but some angry person took it off the list.

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
wait I have a better story, once I got a guy to pay $20,000 for a watch on a $50 bet....

Just kidding, this was a funny read, and I think we all know the kind of person you're talking about, I'm laughing just thinking about it, thanks for sharing :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
HAHAHA - DO IT

I wish there was a "like" button here

Make sure he gives you the receipt, box and papers. :p

Fun read, thanks for sharing.

will-work-to-pay-off-hublot-1.jpg

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Hah, I hate wankers like that. Yeah it might financially cripple him but lets be honest. He deserved it.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
nice, he sounds like a dick. great story. he passed the receipt around? what a dick... you should wear a different watch in front of him every month. you could cost him more than 150k a year just to prove he is a giant douche to everyone else ;) or just a vintage pam and you could clear him out for a while...

tokeyx

27/3/11
nice, he sounds like a dick. great story. he passed the receipt around? what a dick... you should wear a different watch in front of him every month. you could cost him more than 150k a year just to prove he is a giant douche to everyone else ;) or just a vintage pam and you could clear him out for a while...

Now there's a great idea! :)

Cadmito

20/3/11
What a douche. I'd like to say you taught him a lesson but i'm sure he only feels even higher after "winning" the bet.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
:rofl:

rep given for trickin some poor bastard. Anybody who is willing to drop $14,000 to prove a point deserves to be abused.

nice one.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
yea then after he gets a 70-90k deep you can float rumors that they are all fake. i mean how else could a guy with his kind of money afford all those watches...

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
Great story! You kno he probably cried himself to sleep after the hype of buying it wore off, maybe he took it back the next day! I know a fee ppl who live beyond their means by buying clothes etc, wearing it, then taking it back, I mean what's the point.

Dodgy

Renowned Member
20/12/09
I like it, with guys like this i go on the offensive. Everyone knows what they are like so when they stop mine or anothers story i say things like "yeah thats great but i was listening to so and so" or "Good for you mate but this is one of the very rare things that isnt about you" Or when they are about to brag about a price i interupt and say "I bet your just about to tell us how much you paid for it."

Yes, yes...Nearly as dickish but these clowns get to me.

100 buck well spent if he keeps it!

Kinda worth telling him yours is a fake at some point!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Look, you sound like a smart guy, who is perfectly capable of diffusing the situation. Can you honestly say that you didn't bait him into this? Did you need to wager that he wouldn't buy a Hublot? This was clearly a pissing match, plain and simple, and both of you had something to prove.

Thanks. Maybe because I'm 37, I don't have those types of relationships with people I call friends. We don't bait each other into spending $15k on a credit card. I usually compliment a friend on a purchase, and likewise.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I like it!!

PLEASE make sure you wear another expensive brand rep to the next meeting - maybe a Patek?
Glance at his wrist and say, "You still wearing that same Hublot?", and it starts all over again!!

I hope he's a lawyer. He sounds like a lawyer. :)

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
Thanks. Maybe because I'm 37, I don't have those types of relationships with people I call friends. We don't bait each other into spending $15k on a credit card. I usually compliment a friend on a purchase, and likewise.

I don't think he ever called him a friend ;)

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I don't think he ever called him a friend ;)

I'm assuming these were a bunch of adults, with well paying jobs, who should have learnt a long time ago that they're no longer in high school, and there is no necessity to hang out with people you don't like. If this person bothered the OP so much, he should have found a new group of people to hang out with, it is NYC after all.

In any case, while the OP received the affirmation he so sorely needed for his less than humane behavior, deep down he should realize that the only way for him to lord this over the other person is to reveal at some point that he only had a replica all along.