• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APSF and ZF Royal Oak 15500 w 4302 clone caliber

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Thanks for weighing in and confirming! I contacted the TD earlier today to see about getting the black one. As much as I think this one is nicely made, I think I really want the contrast of the black dial. I guess we'll see...
I hope you didnt peel the stickers off the grey dial otherwise returns are void - but since this is a TD mistake i think they'll take care of it..... but still...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
All of that aside, the grey doesn't seem that far off to my novice eyes. I haven't been able to assess the sunburst effect yet, but the color looks fairly close to my eyes.
The color of the gen and rep greys are as far off as can be, trust me. If you look at them side by side, you will instantly be able to tell which is which.
The material of the dial, the way the tapisseries are created, the color and the finish all combine to give you the visual effect which only gen dials can have.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Sorry, not an expert opinion as your code in the box 15500ST.03 does correspond to black dial. But from your photos it definitely looks much closer to gray than black.

This is a gen black 15510 (I know, different model again, but it looks noticeably different than the gray one that I have)

How was the feel trying on this vs the rep? For me the feels of the gen and rep are totally different for the 15510.

BillyMadison

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
26/4/16
Worst case, it'll be a c&r m2m sale.
The color of the gen and rep greys are as far off as can be, trust me. If you look at them side by side, you will instantly be able to tell which is which.
The material of the dial, the way the tapisseries are created, the color and the finish all combine to give you the visual effect which only gen dials can have.
I absolutely defer to you on this point. It comparing photos, I thought it looked close, but I don't doubt your assessment for a second.

speedywombat

Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
How was the feel trying on this vs the rep? For me the feels of the gen and rep are totally different for the 15510.
Bracelet actually feels a little sharp, which I don't mind. I do like the tapered off, thinner bracelet of the gen 15510, but then again I also like the feel of the rep 15500 bracelet lol. Wish the 15510 would come with the correct bracelet!

speedywombat

Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
I appreciate your perspective as someone with black and grey AP reps. I didn't realize you also had a gen black dial, very nice! I'm convinced they sent me grey. The date wheel, as it obviously doesn't have the texture playing tricks with the light, seems to be the most accurate place to judge color. It is definitely grey.

This while thing is a bit ironic because at one time I was going to buy the grey and only settled on black after spending a week or so reading as much as I could about these watches. I also asked the TD to confirm that this was the updated black dial upon receiving my initial QC photos because the dial didn't look as deep a black as I'd seen elsewhere. When they confirmed, I figured it was just the lighting in the QC photos 😅. I guess maybe they only confirmed that the box was correct. Perhaps the mix up occurred at the factory...

All of that aside, the grey doesn't seem that far off to my novice eyes. I haven't been able to assess the sunburst effect yet, but the color looks fairly close to my eyes.

Gen:

Honestly to me, regarding the updated APSF gray dial, the color looks similar enough. From the pics the biggest tell seems to be the sunburst effect and the gen just seems to have tapisseries that's not as "raised" as the APSF. However, I've never compared them side by side. How is the sunburst on the APSF 15500 gray?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Bracelet actually feels a little sharp, which I don't mind. I do like the tapered off, thinner bracelet of the gen 15510, but then again I also like the feel of the rep 15500 bracelet lol. Wish the 15510 would come with the correct bracelet!
Somehow, the dial of the gen also looks smaller than the rep one. The gen wears smaller overall for me. I know they are both 41mm but the feel of the watches are somehow rather different.

speedywombat

Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
Somehow, the dial of the gen also looks smaller than the rep one. The gen wears smaller overall for me. I know they are both 41mm but the feel of the watches are somehow rather different.
Hehe no difference in size perception for me here! But then again, wombats don't have such good eyesights...

68snoopy

Supporter
Certified
24/2/24
Are you saying that all rep grey dials are completely off versus gen grey dials? Or are you referring to this particular grey dial 15500 only? I am asking because I was thinking about getting one. Thanks.

BillyMadison

Supporter
Certified
26/4/16
Are you saying that all rep grey dials are completely off versus gen grey dials? Or are you referring to this particular grey dial 15500 only? I am asking because I was thinking about getting one. Thanks.
I think Legend's assessment has always been that the rep factories have missed on the grey dials. I thought maybe this one was closer, but I was wrong.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It’s pretty subjective actually. I do own the gen 15500 and 15510 and though both the greys are different, they are instantly recognizable as gen to me and the rep counterparts (I have worked on many rep grey 15500s) are vastly different.
But you also get members who use Google or photos to tell you (and perhaps themselves) that the dials are indistinguishable from gen in pics. I can only guarantee you that in real life, if I put the two side by side in front of you at a distance of 1m, you will be able to instantly tell the difference for the grey dials. The difference is more obvious than even the blue dial 15500 for me. But if you are only doing a picture comparo, then how close you see them to be is pretty subjective. I guess that owners of the rep would always like to convince others and themselves how accurate their rep dials are vs gen but it is actually not possible for a gen dial and rep one to look alike side by side once you know what to look for.
I’m not here to spoil anyone’s day but I did an AP factory visit two years back and witnessed how the Royal Oak dials are made. There is no way that the rep dials can come close but visually at some distance away under a crystal, I guess they can look alike yes. Again it’s subjective how close it can look. It’s different for every individual and I respect the differences.

BillyMadison

Supporter
Certified
26/4/16
Honestly to me, regarding the updated APSF gray dial, the color looks similar enough. From the pics the biggest tell seems to be the sunburst effect and the gen just seems to have tapisseries that's not as "raised" as the APSF. However, I've never compared them side by side. How is the sunburst on the APSF 15500 gray?
I'll get ya a sunburst photo soon. Weather isn't cooperating here in Cleveland. I'll try messing with some indoor lights later.

Reactions: speedywombat

68snoopy

Supporter
Certified
24/2/24
It’s pretty subjective actually. I do own the gen 15500 and 15510 and though both the greys are different, they are instantly recognizable as gen to me and the rep counterparts (I have worked on many rep grey 15500s) are vastly different.
But you also get members who use Google or photos to tell you (and perhaps themselves) that the dials are indistinguishable from gen in pics. I can only guarantee you that in real life, if I put the two side by side in front of you at a distance of 1m, you will be able to instantly tell the difference for the grey dials. The difference is more obvious than even the blue dial 15500 for me. But if you are only doing a picture comparo, then how close you see them to be is pretty subjective. I guess that owners of the rep would always like to convince others and themselves how accurate their rep dials are vs gen but it is actually not possible for a gen dial and rep one to look alike side by side once you know what to look for.
I’m not here to spoil anyone’s day but I did an AP factory visit two years back and witnessed how the Royal Oak dials are made. There is no way that the rep dials can come close but visually at some distance away under a crystal, I guess they can look alike yes. Again it’s subjective how close it can look. It’s different for every individual and I respect the differences.
Thanks for the explanation!

BillyMadison

Supporter
Certified
26/4/16
Thanks! and okay for the new APSF gray 15500, although much improved it does seem noticeably different enough than gen to me indoors. Seems like the one that seems the closest to gen is the APSF white 15500.
Since it's finally sunny here, I took a few shots trying to catch the sunburst from natural light (albeit still indoors).

Reactions: grillbrill

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Here are a few outside. I'm sure it's not gen-worthy, but it's pretty.
Reps are reps and do not need to be “gen worthy” to be enjoyed. They can be worn and appreciated on their own, let’s not forget the different price points of the two.
You have a nice looking watch on your wrist. It isn’t an AP but it doesn’t need to be one. You will get the due admiration and compliments when wearing it in real life and for me it’s very impressive how something costing $500 or so replicates something costing far more, to this respectable degree. Wear it well!