• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
First rep based entirely on Raffles parts (case, dial, hands, bracelet, A2824) - looking to achieve "tired and worn beater found at the bottom of a box of watch parts at a flea market".

Case, bracelet and crystal aggressively softened and aged (Yukis 5500 dial, used to keep me motivated):

Dial and hands aged (oven and coffee):

All in all not too bad at all, the Raffles parts are quite impressive - I'll redo the dial and hands to get a more even patina.

Next steps are to replace and fit with an incoming Yuki dial and incoming 2840 low beat movement, and I think this will bring me as close to where I would like to be for a 1016 rep. It has been a real pleasure for a noob like me to work with the Raffles parts - everything just works and fits together (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

vintagepassioneurope

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Europe
what hands did you use? been trying to find the perfect set for a 1016 but having some trouble
Hello
They are from WSO (ebay) and they fit the gen 1560 cal.
They were relumed to match the colour.
They are not perfect (with the gen i would make a huge step forward) but they are ok (for the price!)

Reactions: rickyman94

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
SInce the last update I have installed the slow beat ETA 2840 with dial and movement holes I was fortunate enough to purchase from @HootschiGootschi:

The coffee ageing was a little too much, so while I had the movement out I cleaned up the dial and hands so only the light oven ageing was left, after which I scuffed the crystal to age it in line with "worn and battered" case and bracelet:

Much better than before! I really love the 1016 font - reminds me of the font used on vintage speedometers:

Looking forward to receiving the Yuki dial, as the font is much closer to gen!

Last edited:

Vitto2

Known Member
Patron
Certified
14/1/22
what hands did you use? been trying to find the perfect set for a 1016 but having some trouble
HI,
having a 1560 cal, I preferred to use the original supply dial and hands. Excellent result.
I also have another dial with set aside, original, set spheres.

vintagepassioneurope

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Europe
Great result!
My compliments!
Just a question: the Swatch ETA 2840 movements normally don't have the holes to fix them into the case with screws and clamps (the plastic case of the Swatchs doesn't need them)
So... did you drill the main plate?
Thanks

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
Great result!
My compliments!
Just a question: the Swatch ETA 2840 movements normally don't have the holes to fix them into the case with screws and clamps (the plastic case of the Swatchs doesn't need them)
So... did you drill the main plate?
Thanks
Correct - they normally don't have the holes, which I why I thought I had better snap some up. Under the loupe, I could see these appear to be drilled post-production. Everything fits perfectly though!

1016 lover

4/10/22
Wip, finish the shaping process on my third attempt, I tried to be as close as possible to my gen 114270, for the crystal, sternkreuz t21, the t22 I received are 31mm, and I am not sure if it's not the right diameter, I ve found a Rolex document on internet, long time ago, and t22 was at 30.3mm... Here, all t22 replacement I ve found are quote to 31mm, confusing....
From left to right first, third

1016 lover

4/10/22
I would like to do this one fit the t22, but not sure of the result as the inner diameter of the bezel have to increase to 31mm, the bezel will look very thin, someone have a t22 from Clark fit on a 1016 case?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
@1016lover Nice work on the lugs, they look great. I do have a clarks t22 on an early raffles/ jmb case I can take measurements if you need.

1016 lover

4/10/22
@1016lover Nice work on the lugs, they look great. I do have a clarks t22 on an early raffles/ jmb case I can take measurements if you need.
Thanks my friend, finally go directly for the t22 as I wait for custom bezels, and here we are, bezel sand to 30.9mm, crystal fit and I find the bezel is too high for the t22, just enough to see the bevel start, but really, 0.5mm of height thickness is there

rickyman94

Known Member
21/10/17
Thanks my friend, finally go directly for the t22 as I wait for custom bezels, and here we are, bezel sand to 30.9mm, crystal fit and I find the bezel is too high for the t22, just enough to see the bevel start, but really, 0.5mm of height thickness is there
this looks great! is this the custom bezel you ordered or just the same Raffles with the base shaved down?

1016 lover

4/10/22
this looks great! is this the custom bezel you ordered or just the same Raffles with the base shaved down?
Hello, it's the raffle bezel enlarge to 30.9mm, I think it is too high, the bezel I drawn are 2mm height and have a different angle.... Will ask to another source, the prototype are in my job workshop, but it s really overbooked, will try to find an alternate source as I want this one with the t22 with a better bezel

1016 lover

4/10/22
Hello, it's the raffle bezel enlarge to 30.9mm, I think it is too high, the bezel I drawn are 2mm height and have a different angle.... Will ask to another source, the prototype are in my job workshop, but it s really overbooked, will try to find an alternate source as I want this one with the t22 with a better bezel

Reactions: 369mafia

Action_Jensen

Known Member
20/4/21
That looks really nice @1016 lover. Just a question if you do not mind. Do you have measurements for the t22? Preferably inner diameter? I cant really find any good sources on measures or were to buy one.

I thought a lot of reps used a t21 because it fits on a raffles/JMB case?
Or is it a question of "vintage domed look" (t21 for lack of alternative ) vs "service crystal" (Clark T22 with the hard flanks)?

I know that gens take t22s but somehow i was stuck on the thought that i have to build with a t21 due to fitting issues (with raffles/JMB case not Viet obviously). Seems I never stop learning ;-)

Oh and by my research the bezel height should be arround 2,5mm with an angle of about 35° for the upper sloping. I am working on a custom one too... but now there is the question for which crystal/ inner diameter ;/

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
That looks really nice @1016 lover. Just a question if you do not mind. Do you have measurements for the t22? Preferably inner diameter? I cant really find any good sources on measures or were to buy one.

I thought a lot of reps used a t21 because it fits on a raffles/JMB case?
Or is it a question of "vintage domed look" (t21 for lack of alternative ) vs "service crystal" (Clark T22 with the hard flanks)?

I know that gens take t22s but somehow i was stuck on the thought that i have to build with a t21 due to fitting issues (with raffles/JMB case not Viet obviously). Seems I never stop learning ;-)

Oh and by my research the bezel height should be arround 2,5mm with an angle of about 35° for the upper sloping. I am working on a custom one too... but now there is the question for which crystal/ inner diameter ;/

I took some quick measurements of the T22 I have with JMB bezel on my first 1016

crystal T22 clarks
OD 30.9 mm
ID 29.4 mm

JMB Bezel for T22
ID 31.00 mm
Height 2.0 mm

Reactions: Action_Jensen

1016 lover

4/10/22
Here some spec for Rolex crystal

To me, the bezel have to be lower in height than the raffle one, 2.5mm not fit right with the t22 as it is the height of the raffle one, for me the raffle case is design to receive saphire crystal, that's why the bezel is 2.5mm, to have a suffisant fit on the upper part of the bezel.

Not sure but I suspect raffle acrylic case to be some case that are out of spec for saphire and recycle with acrylic glass glued on... It's really a speculation, I will order some saphire version to measure the diameter on the crystal fitment.

Raffle told me that the acrylic crystal are glued to have a better water resistance, from a crystal to another the fitment on the middle case varies, I have a sternkreuz t21 that fit well, and my other replacement crystal are a bit loose on the this part. You can check here, the most complete information I ve found for Rolex tropic diameter