• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EWF 36mm new explorer 1

Faj

10/3/19
JDF is the name GMF used to keep producing after they were raided. They've kept the line even after resuming their original name so your two pieces should be pretty much identical.

Its true, but the time, I jumped in to the order, that wasn't so clear.
:thumbsup:

Faj

10/3/19
Now the question bugs me - 38 vs 36 .... there will be never peace ...

Besides: the clockwork smooth like butter !!

Reactions: KJ2020

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
At the moment the light is not good - but well, a cheap handy shot Samsung A -
so nobody could say, I am just bla bla bla.
They shine factor is just woow.

I find the bracelets great, but its still wrapped.
And I know them all model ARF BP & Co

I would think finer dimension would be to lady like to me.

It feels perfect, but maybe its just the endorphin after so long waiting time,
and world wide political situation - esp. in China.

But I am sure already that Lucy, did a great job on me - like usual.
za05Tj.jpg

about 6 month waiting time ... it has been 4 month, but certainly felt like 6 ... :eek:hwell:

Very nice! I am fairly tall but have small wrists, so 36mm work very well with me. The Explorer is indeed one of my favourite watches, congratulations!

Reactions: Faj

Faj

10/3/19
I think they wont adapt that bracelet, because it's just to much effort.
But I really do like it like it is.

SIZE growth on me by the day.
As I have the 39mm too.

Always I changed fore and back and check ... its a uhmmm... I don't know.

Like them both.

Strangely the case of the Smith Everest wears a little smoother...

I think watch enthusiasts will never be satisfied...
:eek:hwell:

:)

Last edited:

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I think they wont adapt that bracelet, because it's just to much effort.
But I really do like it like it is.

SIZE growth on me by the day.
As I have the 39mm too.

Always I changed fore and back and check ... its a uhmmm... I don't know.

Like them both.

Strangely the case of the Smith Everest wears a little smoother...

I think watch enthusiasts will never be satisfied...
:eek:hwell:

:)

I do have the 39 BP but think the 36mm would suit me better. Actually tried that at the AD and felt just right.
39mm do fit me nicely (17,5mm wrist) but that dial is just very powerful and I like a bit more subtle appearance. Plus, 36mm is my personal sweet spot, I've learned (also through this 39mm...). Feel very comfy with my OP 36mm, that says it all I guess. Still wear the 39mm regularly. Well, let's say it's just nice to have the luxury of being able to choose.

Reactions: John Williams

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I do have the 39 BP but think the 36mm would suit me better. Actually tried that at the AD and felt just right.
39mm do fit me nicely (17,5mm wrist) but that dial is just very powerful and I like a bit more subtle appearance. Plus, 36mm is my personal sweet spot, I've learned (also through this 39mm...). Feel very comfy with my OP 36mm, that says it all I guess. Still wear the 39mm regularly. Well, let's say it's just nice to have the luxury of being able to choose.

I couldn't agree more. It's about some sort of ratio between dial size (and clutter) / watch radius. A watch with no date, no diving bezel, etc, looks too big IMHO if you get close to 40mm or more. In my opinion, 36mm is just the perfect ratio for an Explorer or any "simple" watch. On the other hand, a Submariner on 36mm would look tiny, crowded, just weird. Similar to what happens with the small Seiko divers, for example.

Reactions: Feefo and johnlogan

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
I couldn't agree more. It's about some sort of ratio between dial size (and clutter) / watch radius. A watch with no date, no diving bezel, etc, looks too big IMHO if you get close to 40mm or more. In my opinion, 36mm is just the perfect ratio for an Explorer or any "simple" watch. On the other hand, a Submariner on 36mm would look tiny, crowded, just weird. Similar to what happens with the small Seiko divers, for example.

A sub at 36 would be lovely imo hahah

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU

Yup, that's it, isn't it. Plus, thickness is also a factor. I have some dressier watches that are 40mm and I feel fine with them, but they are thin and minimalistic in design. The explorer number's font is quite the statement, in the 39mm dial it's borderline to gaudiness, not yet, but nudging towards it, if you know what I mean. But we're in the realm of taste, everyone has its own, and rightly so.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
A sub at 36 would be lovely imo hahah

This is one of the things I love the most of this hobby. Every watch, even a watch that you think would be horrendous... has someone that loves it! And I REALLY love that fact. Really, I find it great that we have such a different taste all of us, haha.

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
This is one of the things I love the most of this hobby. Every watch, even a watch that you think would be horrendous... has someone that loves it! And I REALLY love that fact. Really, I find it great that we have such a different taste all of us, haha.

Does this include Hublots or RM's? :rollingonthefloor:

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Does this include Hublots or RM's? :rollingonthefloor:

Mate, I was talking about watches, not toys.

Naaah, just kidding,p! It includes all sorts of, especially those ones. I actually think that the fact that some people genuinely like Richard Milles or Hublots exemplifies perfectly what I was trying to say. I see absolutely nothing interesting in those watches, and yet they command a remarkable trail of fans.

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Mate, I was talking about watches, not toys.

Naaah, just kidding,p! It includes all sorts of, especially those ones. I actually think that the fact that some people genuinely like Richard Milles or Hublots exemplifies perfectly what I was trying to say. I see absolutely nothing interesting in those watches, and yet they command a remarkable trail of fans.

It costs me a bit to say thinking of those watches, but yes, you are right. In the end, let's be honest, watch collecting to an adult is like toy collecting to a child. Same psychology behind. They are fun, wonderful and we love to admire them, I like to think we're just smarter and go after reps instead of spending horrendous amounts of money for the real thing... That said, I'd love to have a gen Explorer 36mm, it's just not going to happen without me building a purchasing history at my AD's, which I refuse to do. But if someday they would call...

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
It costs me a bit to say thinking of those watches, but yes, you are right. In the end, let's be honest, watch collecting to an adult is like toy collecting to a child. Same psychology behind. They are fun, wonderful and we love to admire them, I like to think we're just smarter and go after reps instead of spending horrendous amounts of money for the real thing... That said, I'd love to have a gen Explorer 36mm, it's just not going to happen without me building a purchasing history at my AD's, which I refuse to do. But if someday they would call...

I got one, had zero history and was put on a waiting list when I was visiting an AD with my friend who was buying a Datejust. Four months after I got a call and went to the AD to buy it.

If you really want one, I’d say talk with several ADs and I’m sure you’ll find one that puts you on the list. It’s not as difficult as getting a Submariner, GMT or Daytona.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I hear you. I'm on a waiting list and asked a friend and my brother to put themselves on the list, too, in other cities. Just waiting...

Last edited:

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I got one, had zero history and was put on a waiting list when I was visiting an AD with my friend who was buying a Datejust. Four months after I got a call and went to the AD to buy it.

If you really want one, I’d say talk with several ADs and I’m sure you’ll find one that puts you on the list. It’s not as difficult as getting a Submariner, GMT or Daytona.

Im on the list for a SD43 at my local AD, I will order the TT 36EX1 next.

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Im on the list for a SD43 at my local AD, I will order the TT 36EX1 next.

The TT 36EX1 is the one I tried on. I was telling the ad "gold's not really my thing" but slowly transformed myself in a Gollum watching it on my wrist. I admit I liked it, after all.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
thanks for the kind words hahah.

To clarify on my point, i think no date would be best and less text. But with the sub case being what it is i reckon a 36 would actually wear like a 38mm which would be so hot imo, but im just weird like that. I've got 7 inch wrists but 36-40 is my sweet spot in terms of what i like. Sometimes 31-34mm are my sweet spot too, just depends on the day.

(i like some RMs too dont beat me up)