• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Is there any ap rep dial that even comes close? Because rhe ones I've seen so far are way off. Also, as a previous post suggested, are there any that you consider nwbig or super rep, without any modifications?

I personally find the rep ROO dials acceptable out of the box, visually speaking and without loupe comparison. The diver dials aren't bad too, and for these 2 series, the dials will not be call-outs in real life.
For RO dials, they are a different kettle of fish given the texture and finish and why many members opt to swap the gen dials in. The beauty of the royal oak lies in the dial: clean, immaculately finished, and representative of the AP DNA.
I do consider the ZF diver, the XF FC diver, and the ZF blue 15500 (latest iteration) NWBIG out of the box if you are looking for visual accuracy on the wrist.
I am personally very glad to see the clone movements for APs being developed and more people getting to enjoy the AP reps at a higher level. Yes of course rep is rep and gen is gen, but if we are getting more accurate AP reps from the factory, it is a superb direction our game is heading toward.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Great thread…
Legend I’m sure this has been discussed before but what the heck I’ll ask it here.

What is the general charge to get an A7750 sec@12 movement tefloned and have the Swiss mainspring added to make it a “bit” more reliable.

I have an AP ROO Dark knight incoming and would like to explore this option more with some expert advice and costs.

Much appreciated to all….

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Great thread…
Legend I’m sure this has been discussed before but what the heck I’ll ask it here.

What is the general charge to get an A7750 sec@12 movement tefloned and have the Swiss mainspring added to make it a “bit” more reliable.
I have an AP ROO Dark knight incoming and would like to explore this option more with some expert advice and costs.

Much appreciated to all….

Different modders have different rates, so if you wish to know the rate offered by a specific person please PM him direct.

The teflon coat is applied to the appropriate areas in the movement to reduce the friction between the gears, and the swiss mainspring presents a stronger alternative to the stock asian one.
Just 2 points to note please

1. Both mods should be done in conjunction with a movement overhaul and regulation for best results and
2. The design of the movement will naturally not be improved by the mods. The 2 mods serve to mitigate the precarious nature of the 7750 sec@12 movement. I will personally peg the improvement to be around 30-50% if I am to put a number to the 2 mods + a movement service being done collectively to the watch.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Quick question:
Are rubber straps on the JF models Roo 44mm, Roo 42mm and Divers interchangeable without modification? For Diver to include ZF model also.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Quick question:
Are rubber straps on the JF models Roo 44mm, Roo 42mm and Divers interchangeable without modification? For Diver to include ZF model also.

No. 42mm straps fit throughout models (i.e. JF) but 44mm straps will not fit a 42mm and vice versa.

Reactions: legend and g00n

Albiful

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/6/22
A question for gen owners:
how accurate are AP 2121 movements? When I started getting into watches, I was surprised to find out that no certification (e.g. COSC) is mentioned by AP.
After all, we're talking about the most famous caliber from one of the "Holy Trinity" manifacturers

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
how accurate are AP 2121 movements? When I started getting into watches, I was surprised to find out that no certification (e.g. COSC) is mentioned by AP.
After all, we're talking about the most famous caliber from one of the "Holy Trinity" manifacturers

It's what I am wondering for a long time...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I assume you are asking about timekeeping accuracy. If so, the accuracy is within 20 seconds per day. It is a vintage movement and COSC shouldn’t be expected.

Reactions: Allure

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
As far as I know the AP 2121 is well- known for its thinness, that's about it. As far as being COSC certified, the absence of a second hand could have prevented it from COSC certification. The cumbersome method of changing the calendar date did not help in it's practicality either.

Reactions: SuperLory

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
As far as I know the AP 2121 is well- known for its thinness, that's about it. As far as being COSC certified, the absence of a second hand could have prevented it from COSC certification. The cumbersome method of changing the calendar date did not help in it's practicality either.

I am not sure if the comparison makes sense as i am not a movement expert.
My Ap is 5 years old and my 5512 from the 60ies with a 1530 (Serviced two years ago), between the two, the AP is more accurate... For comparison with a more modern movement from Rolex, my recent 114060 (2020) was super accurate.......

That said, i believe the accuracy is not better than 10s per day

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
With the JF AP ROO Dark knight - I’ve seen it mentioned as V2. Was there a V1 ? What are the differences ?
Also I see the case back has a numbering system J****

Is this entirely random or is it an actual sequence to determine some sort build date or sequence ?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
With the JF AP ROO Dark knight - I’ve seen it mentioned as V2. Was there a V1 ? What are the differences ?
Also I see the case back has a numbering system J****

Is this entirely random or is it an actual sequence to determine some sort build date or sequence ?

The main difference would be the cyclop and datewheel update.
The Dark Knight in the gen are either J, K or random alphanumeric serials. They give an approximation on the production batch in the gens and in reps, these are meaningless and just replication of the gen serials.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
The main difference would be the cyclop and datewheel update.
The Dark Knight in the gen are either J, K or random alphanumeric serials. They give an approximation on the production batch in the gens and in reps, these are meaningless and just replication of the gen serials.

Thank you for you kind response.

Regarding the cyclops and date wheel update. Could you elaborate. I’ve searched to avoid duplicating too many questions here but can’t seem to validate or find a comparison.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you for you kind response.

Regarding the cyclops and date wheel update. Could you elaborate. I’ve searched to avoid duplicating too many questions here but can’t seem to validate or find a comparison.

I think my answer was clear enough. The V2 was updated with the datewheel and cyclop to look more accurate. I do not find it meaningful to describe the detail differences between the two.
If you want, you can just google "JF AP ROO" and add variations of V1 and V2 and see the difference for yourself. Expand the search beyond RWI. What you see will be a lot more meaningful than what I can describe.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi,
What do you think about this AP diver : https://trustytimewatch88.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_288&products_id=24316 ? There is another one from BF for this model... Is the difference of price due to a difference of reliability or to the accuracy of details (or both maybe:)) ?
Do you think it is better than an AP from U1 factory for example (seen around 150 $ on other websites) ? Many thanks.

I think that for $238, it does not look bad. One thing though, is that the cal 4308 used in the gen 15720 series beats at 28800bph and no longer 21600bph, the frequency of the cal.3120.
So the maker is being ignorant in their movement claim. It is a passable piece visually for me.

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
So, it will be between the U1 and the BF ? ???? The fluidity of the second hand is necessary better at 28800 bph...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So, it will be between the U1 and the BF ? ???? The fluidity of the second hand is necessary better at 28800 bph...

Honestly, I am unfamiliar with the 15720 gen and rep differences. Personally I am not a fan of the model, and passed up buying the green dial gen earlier this year when offered by the boutique.
As with all things, different strokes for different folks. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose eventually.

Reactions: Allure and Nono92

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Honestly, I am unfamiliar with the 15720 gen and rep differences. Personally I am not a fan of the model, and passed up buying the green dial gen earlier this year when offered by the boutique.
As with all things, different strokes for different folks. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose eventually.
Finally I will turn to a 26XXX offshore chrono... More symmetrical than the 15720 because there is no second crown. I went on the M2M section and read that the movement was sometimes replaced... Would it be possible to replace later the modded asian 7750 by another one with a DD module ? Thanks.

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Sorry, I meant : would it be possible to replace the modded asian 7750 by a 9015 (or something like that) with a DD module ?