• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

MtnMover

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/7/21
So can anyone confirm or deny if the CF v4 crown guards have improved enough to contend with VSF? Is there still no comparison who produces the super rep? I like CF for other reps but might be driven to them for a 116610 for sake of availability.

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
The crown guards have been improved on the latest version. I Compared in hand to a gen and took measurements, it’s much better and the difference isn’t even worth worrying about. I think people have been blind sided by the latest versions of the gen sub crown guards. I’ve owned many gen subs over the years and the guards have changed. The curve radius from the case to guard tip has changed from the early maxi cases to what we see now… literally 0.07 of a millimetre. CF had the side angular profile wrong but have now somewhat fixed it. Not 100% but much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town

Bezel one click ahead , no worries on alignment :) definitely nwbig after dental flossing the gritty crown and giving the bracelet a nice oil bath

everything else is perfect, keeps head2head time with my gen BB58

just one thing, bezel action is a bit loose, would be better if it was stiffer.. handled gen couple times and gen is definitely stiffer

Reactions: Doc.77 and Kalev007

subhunter101

Known Member
1/6/16
The crown guards have been improved on the latest version. I Compared in hand to a gen and took measurements, it’s much better and the difference isn’t even worth worrying about. I think people have been blind sided by the latest versions of the gen sub crown guards. I’ve owned many gen subs over the years and the guards have changed. The curve radius from the case to guard tip has changed from the early maxi cases to what we see now… literally 0.07 of a millimetre. CF had the side angular profile wrong but have now somewhat fixed it. Not 100% but much better.

I just had the “latest version” in my hands a few days ago and they were still wrong. Vsf crown guards are much better finished too, there no weird shaping in the curve from lug to CG.

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Please be aware, clean is back at their dodgy practices again.

From reddit: " according to Korean TD(oerep), they found 15 clean factory Submariner are fake(July 31st QC). Several customers(Korean rep watch forum)found difference of product compared to Claen product and requested the TD for verification. It turned out that this batch was delivered by one of Clean sub supplier who is a cousin of the owner of the Clean factory and the supplier used fake VSF parts"

​​​​

Reactions: Zhan_k

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
I just had the “latest version” in my hands a few days ago and they were still wrong. Vsf crown guards are much better finished too, there no weird shaping in the curve from lug to CG.

Compared to what year model of sub? I’ve owned at least five version since 2013 crown guards on the gen have changed over the years and yes have become more refined on the which the vsf represents now, CF could be modeling off an older case, not every factory creates a cad program of takes measurements from the the latest sub… they use what they have or can get. I’m a toolmaker and machinist and trust me I have proper measuring equipment
…, I’m not just using a “calibrated eyeball”
Here’s a 2013 gen against my latest CF for example. And yes finish does equate to the look and shape which can be visually misrepresenting.
0e3802adae9efd23ab3f7130f32a0578.jpg

Reactions: Kalev007

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
And here’s a 2021 sub on top of a 2013. The 2021 guards are more curved to right to the tip and more refined. The difference is minimal but it’s there
74191f6b6b46c576d2aba00c68b02c36.jpg

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
And here’s a 2021 sub on top of a 2013. The 2021 guards are more curved to right to the tip and more refined. The difference is minimal but it’s there
74191f6b6b46c576d2aba00c68b02c36.jpg

I'd disagree and say gen Sub CG's have remained the same throughout the 116610 lifetime. I have never ever seen any mention of a change on TRF ever and I have been reading every day since 2007 nor have I ever seen a 116 Sub with anything other than the CG's that I'm used to looking at.

It would be my opinion that gen LV you have used in your comparison has been polished and the CG edges (and bezel scallops) have been softened, so it does indeed look more like Clean which is still not quite there if compared to an unpolished example.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Can we really tell if the CG is slightly off with our naked eyes without a gen next to it, or without having the comparison pics magnified 10X?

Reactions: federik91

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I'd disagree and say gen Sub CG's have remained the same throughout the 116610 lifetime. I have never ever seen any mention of a change on TRF ever and I have been reading every day since 2007 nor have I ever seen a 116 Sub with anything other than the CG's that I'm used to looking at.

It would be my opinion that gen LV you have used in your comparison has been polished and the CG edges (and bezel scallops) have been softened, so it does indeed look more like Clean which is still not quite there if compared to an unpolished example.

I've understood the same they can look very different due to polishing not done correctly.

Perhaps Clean copied a badly polished case.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I've understood the same they can look very different due to polishing not done correctly.

Perhaps Clean copied a badly polished case.

I think Cleans case supplier is not paying as much attention to detail as the dial, bracelet, hands suppliers do. They missed the side taper too but I think they have fixed that now?