• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Star-Crossed (Snakebit?) TS 6542 Review

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
I ordered a 6542, my Dream Watch, from TS Station in May. The first one got seized by U.S. Customs, and one of their sales people told me tough luck. Then, after much back and forth, they sent me a new watch (I've written about all of this here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...eviews/7834749-tswatch-6542-siezed-by-customs). Needless to say, I have a lot on my mind when it comes to this piece, so instead of hijacking the current 6542 threads, I figured I'd post a review of my own.

On Friday, I received notice that the new watch had been delivered to my brother's house across town. At first, I couldn't believe that it was actually here. In fact, I had resisted every urge to post updates on the forums while it was being re-sent, lest the Federales found a way to nab this one too. I wanted to have watch-in-hand before I wrote anything about it.

So, I raced down, picked it up, and tore it out of the box as soon as I got home. It was in that very nice little brown leather box, just as I expected. And under all the cellophane, there was the watch, my 6542. It looked great. Then I unwrapped it, and the disappointments began.

Here it is. The Dream Watch. First thing I do is unscrew the crown, pull it out to first click, and ... nothing happens. THE TIME WON'T SET. Sure, the date wheel and GMT hand adjust easily – that's great! But what good is that IF I CAN'T SET THE F@#%ING CORRECT TIME?!? If the watch came from a TD, I would've sent it right back. But after the hassle of getting this watch to me, I'm just going to crack it open when I have the time and figure out what's wrong with it myself. I bought this one (aged, with the Asian 2836) after the prices went up a bit, but luckily before they hit the Rep stratosphere with that Vintage Power crap. Still, for the price I paid, I don't think it's too much to, you know, expect a working watch.

Onto the aesthetics. The dial accomplishes the rare feat of looking about 10 times better in photos than it does in real life. I can't quite put my finger on it, but to me, it just looks flat and lacks any real contrast. It looks cheap. The lume looks nice, but it isn't enough to redeem the dial for me. I was thinking about splurging for a Ruby's 6542 gilt dial when I ordered this one. After spending some time with this watch, that's a necessity; I'll be ordering one as soon as I have the funds. Also, can we talk about these lugs? I expected them to be long, but the overhangs after the end links are just ridiculous. Once I get this one sorted, I'll be looking for a CONUS modder who would be willing to reshape them as much as they can be reshaped.

Then there's the bracelet. I don't expect much from your baseline Rep bracelet, but man, this thing is chintzy. The jewel of my collection is my Gen '72 5500 Air King with a rivet bracelet, so I had the rare opportunity to compare 1:1 here. Next to the Gen, this thing is a freaking joke. Like the dial, it looks okay, but I'm not sure how long I'm willing to live with it rattling on my wrist in the real world. Well, when it's on my wrist in the real world, that is.

This bracelet is freaking huge and there are only two removable links. I'm a man with big hands and small wrists, which means that I'll be spending a lot of time with a loupe, an Exacto knife and jeweler's screwdriver prying rivets out of about three additional links. If that fails (or if I end up accidentally gouging my hands enough), I'll probably just buy a good Jubilee from Ruby's. But as it is now, the lack of easily removable links is another thing that makes the watch unwearable for me.

For scale, here's a photo of my Gen Speedy Reduced nesting comfortably inside the 6542's mammoth bracelet.

So there's a lot of bad here, but I don't want to sound like I'm completely trashing the watch. Believe it or not, there's actually a lot I like about it. For starters, the bezel looks great. Yes, it does feel chintzy and sharp, but here, it's good-looking enough to actually redeem it – especially the insert. And luckily, mine came attached nice and tight, unlike many of the reviews I've read. The roulette date wheel is absolutely gorgeous too (those open 6s and 9s...), and the plexi crystal looks good and is nicely aligned. I may want to upgrade it in the future, but for now, it'll do nicely. Ditto the hands. They look nice and I'll probably keep them around for a while.

VFtCoy.md.jpg

I also really like the crown (apologies for the blurry photo). Compared to a lot of vintage Reps I've seen, it feels good here and has a nice vintage look. The Coronet isn't too far off to my eye either. The caseback is nice too. And as much as the lugs bother me, the stampings/engravings between them look pretty good to the naked eye and at least have a Gen-ish vibe. Still, look at the overhang of those lugs in the photo above – yeesh...

So I own a fairly good looking Rep of the Dream Watch. If the thing actually worked, I would've just thrown it on a NATO strap as soon as it came out of the box, dealt with the bracelet later, and would probably have a much higher opinion of it. But as of now, it's an expensive paperweight that I'm more than happy to pick apart. Kudos to TS Station for sending me a replacement watch. But my other Rep, a 6263 ROC (I've written about that one here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/eyecandy-wristshots/7820669-first-rep-first-review-my-6263-pn) came out of the box ready to go and I've had over a year of happy, trouble-free wrist time with it. I would think that for nearly $500, I should be able to expect the same from TS. As it is, I'll need to perform surgery on this watch to set it to right. Then, I'm looking at maybe another $400 (more or less) to get it the way I like it. For that kind of money, I' could've just spent a little more and had a builder put one together to my specs.

I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more about my star-crossed (snakebit?) 6542 in the future. But from here, it has a long way to go before it enters any kind of regular rotation.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Here it is. The Dream Watch. First thing I do is unscrew the crown, pull it out to first click, and ... nothing happens. THE TIME WON'T SET. Sure, the date wheel and GMT hand adjust easily – that's great! But what good is that IF I CAN'T SET THE F@#%ING CORRECT TIME?!? If the watch came from a TD, I would've sent it right back. But after the hassle of getting this watch to me, I'm just going to crack it open when I have the time and figure out what's wrong with it myself. I bought this one (aged, with the Asian 2836) after the prices went up a bit, but luckily before they hit the Rep stratosphere with that Vintage Power crap. Still, for the price I paid, I don't think it's too much to, you know, expect a working watch.

You do know that if you pull the crown out to the second position you can set the time. pulling it to the first position is only for the date and gmt setting..

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
i would like to see a comparison between the gen and rep rivet

Last edited:

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
donerix The crown only pulls out the one click. I've noticed that it keeps winding (or rather clicks within the movement) as I'm screwing it back into the case tube; I'm thinking that it may be loose (something that I've read is common on these) and somehow impeding proper function.

Jsebwc I'll post some comparo shots of the bracelets tomorrow. The 5500 has a smaller bracelet, but from a feel standpoint, they're miles apart.

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Agree with the others here, there should be three total click positions.

Regarding the time setting, I’ve found if the set wheel is installed upside down it slips when trying to set time. Could be a simple, poor QC assembly.

Reactions: W124E

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Jsebwc

Here's a quick comparo between my Gen '72 Air King's rivet bracelet and the 6542's. The Gen has a '75 C&I bracelet (it was on the watch when I bought it six years ago, I'm assuming it was a period replacement), and it's a good deal smaller than the Rep. But you can see what TS got right and wrong by looking at them side by side. The biggest things that jump out to me are the hollow rivets on the Gen, and the bigger size and sharpness of the Coronet on its clasp. As a note, I was able to remove three links last night, so the 6542 now fits on my wrist.

hanski – thank you for the set wheel tip. I'll look at that when I open up the watch!

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
W124E Thanks for posting the pics. yes definitely some differences in the way that the links are folded and the rivets.

Its funny that you say that the TS station bracelet feels flimsy I have a wso rivet and to its kinda heavy and solid...I gather that it is a solid oyster bracelet that has been modified with the rivet details to make it look vintage.

its a real bummer that your watch arrived non functioning. I assume you contacted TS station about it? Any response?
Have you had the chance to tear into it and see if reinstalling the stem fixes it?

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Jsebwc I have to hand it to TS though – theirs is a true rivet bracelet (at least the links I pulled were). After wearing it around, it seems like it will be fine until I have the funds to upgrade to a nicer Viet bracelet.

I didn't contact TS about the setting issue since it was such a nightmare getting the watch here in the first place. I figured that I would just do my best to troubleshoot the issue myself.

I ordered a new caseback tool the other night and took the watch out of my desk drawer to have another look. I pulled out the crown as far as it would go again. Still, just GMT and date wheel. Then I decided to give it a few very firm pulls while rotating the crown. I figured that if the stem broke, what the hell; I'd be fishing around inside it soon enough. Starting with the crown at the 12 o'clock position (Coronet pointing upright), I started turning and pulling. To be clear, I was pulling on this crown a way harder than I normally would with any watch.

At the 9 o'clock position I heard an audible CRACK and thought my stem was cooked. Nope, the movement was hacked, and I could set the time. I've kept the watch wound since, and tried repeating this method a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The crown will pull out two clicks, but only with the crown in that position. Since the watch has been running I've also noticed that the GMT hand slips and likes to lag 4-5 hours behind the hour hand no matter where I set it. Maybe the hand is loose?

So, the watch does work, and there is definitely egg on my face. But I wanted to own my mistake; this forum has already given me so much and I want to be as open here as possible. I'm still going to crack it open and see what's going on in there (I'm assuming the movement is probably filthy). But for now, I'm giving it some healthy wrist time. Step one is to open it up and dial it in. Step two is a gilt dial. Then, who knows...

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Could you not get the back off with a rubber ball or a ball of duct tape? I would then try and pull the crown and reinstall it..if that isnt working then a new movement..

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Maybe movement holder is not set properly and is getting in the way when you pull out the stem.
anyway, if the GMT hand has gone out of place you will have to check if dial is still seated properly and straight. I mean maybe GMT hand touched dial and got misplaced. If that's the case you just use your quick setting feature (crown in second position) and the GMT wheel should get back in place.

Last edited:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Jsebwc Since the watch has been running I've also noticed that the GMT hand slips and likes to lag 4-5 hours behind the hour hand no matter where I set it. Maybe the hand is loose?

I'm probably wrong about this and I mean no offence if so. But based on some of the things you've said in this thread, I'm going to say it anyway.

Are you used to GMT hands? You know that they run 'more slowly' than normal hands so it will look like they're dropping behind. The normal hour hand will do a full rotation every twelve hours, the GMT hand a full rotation only every 24 hours. It points to the time on the bezel insert, not on the dial. So it's supposed to 'drop behind'.

Anyway, general comment; I really think you're better off going to Tripdog and getting the high spec build your comparing this to. I can see you spending a fortune on modding this and still not being satisfied.

Either way, good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
kilowattore Thanks for the tip – I'm a huge fan of your builds!

GingerBubba No offense taken! This is my first GMT, and I'm sharing my experiences warts and all. Also, I'm new to this, so any input is welcome. If I'm wrong in any of my posts, I don't mind being called on it – part of the learning process. With the TS 6542, I bought it after reading as many threads I could about it. In all, (especially now that I've figured out how to get the thing working) I'm happy with it. The 6542 is one of the most beautiful watches Rolex has ever made in my opinion, and I'm just happy to own something like it. But most importantly, after diving into the forums, I wanted a Rep that I could work on myself. I'm going to crack it open and see what's going on in there ( Jsebwc my Oyster caseback kit is coming Monday), and I'm eventually going to upgrade the dial and case. Trip's builds are achingly gorgeous, and someday I hope to own one. But for now, I think my TS is a good starting point for me. Like the car that I took my user name from, it's a good running project!

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Project Snakebit strikes again! I decided to pull the trigger on a Ruby's dial, and bought this one (Ruby's took their page down so I found this photo elsewhere). The red/pink line is just perfection to me:
VTAOE0.md.jpg

When I contacted Ruby's I asked if they shipped in CONUS, and explained my recent Customs problem to them. They said yes, and that I wouldn't have to worry about any inspections. I don't fault them at all – They're tried-and-true professionals, and besides, I don't expect folks halfway around the world to have a perfect command of the English language. But, they shipped from Singapore via DHL. Again, the dial passed through Customs in Cinci, and AGAIN the f*&$ing dial was flagged by my f*&$ing local DHL branch and seized by Customs. I let Ruby's know straight away and they said they would look into getting me a refund. Hopefully they can. This went down about a week ago.

Unlike the first 6542, I actually engaged Customs on this one. I denied any knowledge of the TS watch (sent as a gift, first I've heard of it, etc.), but figured since this is a refinished dial, I might have a shot. Of course, like with the watch, I was purposely vague: Bought through a private dealer, no website, 100% private sale, claimed authentic, how dare you seize my mail, don't tread on me, etc.

Today, the Customs agent called me and said that they sent photos of the dial to Rolex (which... maybe? I smell a little BS there) and have decided that it is counterfeit. Game over. From here, I go dark with Customs. Since I've only dealt with one very ornery local officer over the phone and haven't gotten a letter in the mail yet, they won't hear another word from me.

In the meantime, I've thrown up a WTB post (https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...or-straps/7978224-wtb-6542-gilt-dial-in-conus), and am hoping that someone in these United States has something similar they're willing to let go of. Project Snakebit has been running great lately; the movement is probably dirty, but now that it's going, it's been dead reliable. I was hoping to add the gilt dial and a Viet jubilee or rivet and do something similar to kilowattore's recent excellent build (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/vintage-watches/7940250-modded-ts-watches-6542). For now, it looks like that will have to wait for a while.

In conclusion: F*&$ DHL sideways.

Reactions: Soxxgo2

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Luck doesn't seem to be your thing lately, huh?
I hope you get your refund mate.
I in the meantime stay away from DHL, they seem to put sender and/or receiver in a sort of black list so you're likely to have issues with them again. Ask me how I know this ;)

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
kilowattore you said it! I'm waiting for my luck to change any day. Hopefully, someone in CONUS will have a decent gilt dial. I had a bad feeling that DHL had some sort of blacklist, now I'm all but sure.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Damn thats a shame. I recently got a shipment from Ruby via DHL and it made it to me no issues. They declared on the customs docs "used watch parts for repair " guess that was good enough for the customs agent that day and let it slide I was however charged local taxes on the import but , why not, the man has got to get his cut! Its a relief because it was over a grand usd in parts. would really have hated to take the loss on that.

We tend to forget, that were dealing in some shady biz here ..

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Jsebwc Exactly. It's easy to forget that some people take the importation of replica parts very seriously.

The most frustrating part of it for me is that the dial initially cleared customs in Cincinnati but was handed over to them by my local DHL branch, just like my first 6542 was. When I first heard from the local customs office, they let slip that the bulk of the imported packages they inspect daily come in from DHL. It sounds like some desk jockey over at my local DHL likes to play patriot and flag as many incoming foreign packages as they can. I really can't tell you how much I dislike that shipping company right now...