• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TSWatch 6542 Siezed by Customs

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Well, I played with fire and I got burned. I'll go through CONUS TDs next time.

My transaction with TSwatch went smoothly until this morning. It passed through Cincinnati customs, then made it to my local DHL sorting center on Friday. I was relieved; I've read that DHS has a mixed track record when it comes to inspections, but since it made it all the way to my hometown, I figured I was in the clear. This morning, I got a "Contact DHL Immediately" notice when I ran the tracking number. When I called (and played as dumb as possible, of course), I was told the package was sent to the local CBP for inspection. Two hours later, I got a phone call saying it was seized. Bye Bye 6542...

I know TSWatch isn't a TD, but after researching and reading reviews here, it seemed like a pretty safe gamble. I didn't expect to gamble and lose, but I guess them's the breaks. I've emailed Chris over there, but because of the time difference, I don't expect to hear from him (her?) until late tonight at the earliest. I know that some members have written about getting burned by TS after their watches have been seized, so we'll see what happens. Has anyone had them re-send a watch after a customs seizure? If I remember right, this is why they're not a TD anymore, but I could be mistaken. Either way, I'll update this post once I hear back from them.

For now, I'm going to chalk this one as an L and put out a call for a 6542 on WTB. Any condolences/advice/bourbon-recommendations-to-ease-the-pain would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdds and c.dimitri

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Can't you notify the TD and send them the messages about the seizure? They will resend it I recall.

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Like an idiot, I went direct through TS. Textbook rookie mistake; I've got a feeling I got burned on this one. And by myself of all people...

Last edited:

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Like an idiot, I went direct through TS. Textbook rookie mistake; I've got a feeling I got burned on this one. And by myself of all people...

What did TS tell you? They may have a similar.policy.

Last edited:

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
DHL does the same in the Natherlands, collecting customs duties ect....not the way to go for shipping from CN

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
DaleM I'm hoping they do. Since they're in China and I'm on the east coast of the U.S. they're 12 hours ahead of me. Fingers crossed they'll get back to me between 9 pm and 5 am my time tonight/tomorrow. I thought I read somewhere that they were kicked off of the TD list for not re-sending after a Customs seizure, but I could (hopefully) be mistaken.

Last edited:

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
capice, yeah, I think I audibly gulped when I ran the tracking number the first time and saw that they used DHL.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
Well, I played with fire and I got burned. I'll go through CONUS TDs next time.

My transaction with TSwatch went smoothly until this morning. It passed through Cincinnati customs, then made it to my local DHL sorting center on Friday. I was relieved; I've read that DHS has a mixed track record when it comes to inspections, but since it made it all the way to my hometown, I figured I was in the clear. This morning, I got a "Contact DHL Immediately" notice when I ran the tracking number. When I called (and played as dumb as possible, of course), I was told the package was sent to the local CBP for inspection. Two hours later, I got a phone call saying it was seized. Bye Bye 6542...

I know TSWatch isn't a TD, but after researching and reading reviews here, it seemed like a pretty safe gamble. I didn't expect to gamble and lose, but I guess them's the breaks. I've emailed Chris over there, but because of the time difference, I don't expect to hear from him (her?) until late tonight at the earliest. I know that some members have written about getting burned by TS after their watches have been seized, so we'll see what happens. Has anyone had them re-send a watch after a customs seizure? If I remember right, this is why they're not a TD anymore, but I could be mistaken. Either way, I'll update this post once I hear back from them.

For now, I'm going to chalk this one as an L and put out a call for a 6542 on WTB. But any condolences/advice/bourbon-recommendations-to-ease-the-pain would be much appreciated.

Most TD’s have a free reship policy in case this kinda thing happens, check out TS terms on their website, I’ve not used them since the craziness mental breakdown stuff, but I seem to remember he was pretty decent back in the day..

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Thanks Pickledbeetroot , that's good to know. I haven't seen anything in their FAQ or anywhere else about it, but up until this point they've been really responsive to all my requests. I'm hoping that it all works out.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm 12 for 12 on DHL shipments and 0 for 1 on an EMS shipment from TD. Go figure. Seizure was out of Miami sorting facility. TD reshipped 2 watches free.

Sure sorry to see this happen to you bro.

Reactions: W124E

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
mottykytu I think it was a perfect storm of stupidity: I'm relatively new to the Rep game (bought my first one in 8/2018, joined the forums this month), most of the posts I read here said positive things about dealing directly with TSWatch (at least lately), and finally, I was just impatient. Lesson learned and then some!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Can I know why did not you buy with TD?
The 6542 with Bakelite insert that W124E bought is only available through TSWatch. No other TDs carry it or can get it.

W124E - "Chris" at TS is "Christine". As I mentioned on the 6542 review thread, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Mine arrived today, and although it won't be any consolation - it's not that great OOTB. We also have the same system running in the UK, whereby if a package comes through via DHL, they run the customs checks. The only watch I've had to pay duty on came in this way - but that was from the US, the TDs using China Post and the like avoid the DHL trap in the UK it seems.

Last edited:

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Thanksn0bby , that's all really good to know. I figured I'd have to do some work to it, but I was so thrilled that there was a decent-ish 6542 out there that I couldn't resist. I'm keeping two fingers crossed that Christine will send out a replacement once I can get the customs letter to her. I've never had any trouble with packages from EMS or China Post, so I'm still scratching my head over why they used DHL.

Last edited:

nathan92

Known Member
15/6/18
Like your 6542 I want to purchase their modified 6239 but have been hesitant, but it's only offered there through their site. Hope they'll be willing to ship again, and if so, I would probably pull the trigger on my purchase knowing they offered to do right.

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
nathan92 I hope they make right too. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back from TS. Hopefully they'll ship again.

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Well, TSWatch basically told me to pound sand.

I reached out to Chris about my situation and got this response from someone named Sara:

Dear friend,

Customs clearance is not guaranteed. You need to contact the national customs for customs clearance by yourself, and you need to pay taxes

Thanks a lot
Sara

I responded that, you know, that's not how U.S. Customs works (a little more politely than that, of course), and got no response. I know it's their prerogative to conduct business like this, but it still sucks, especially since it seems like most TDs – which they are not – would jump at the chance to help.

I've emailed them again and maybe somebody a little more sympathetic might help, but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like I'm just gonna have to eat the cost of the watch.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It does indeed suck. And it's annoying that they alone take this stance when they're uniquely positioned to offer the 6542, and when all our other TDs have completely the opposite policy.

Reactions: W124E

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Well, TSWatch basically told me to pound sand.

I reached out to Chris about my situation and got this response from someone named Sara:

I responded that, you know, that's not how U.S. Customs works (a little more politely than that, of course), and got no response. I know it's their prerogative to conduct business like this, but it still sucks, especially since it seems like most TDs – which they are not – would jump at the chance to help.

I've emailed them again and maybe somebody a little more sympathetic might help, but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like I'm just gonna have to eat the cost of the watch.

Why not contact customs and ask why they confiscated what you believe is a toy watch that you bought as a birthday gift. You might get lucky but i dont know how these guys work

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Mike116 After doing some crash reading over the past day, it seems like the best thing to do is avoid contact with Customs. They send the letter notifying you that your package was stopped, warn you, then give you information about filing an appeal of some sort (I may be hazy on some of this – I've never had anything seized before). They don't seem to show much leniency when it comes to "trademark infringement issues," and in some of the anecdotal evidence I read, it sounds like the bigger stink you make with them, the more likely they are to check your future international packages. I regularly buy rep guitar parts for my projects, and with my growing watch hobby, I definitely don't want that happening. But again, this is all new to me, so if I'm wrong on the details, someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini