Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Decal printed dial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I do my first attempt is the most successful method for application of decal to apply decal face up?

Comment

Originally posted by chrome72 View Post
      Before I do my first attempt is the most successful method for application of decal to apply decal face up?
      Face UP (standard printing) if you use standard decal dial (decal film stays on the dial)
      Face DOWN (mirror printing) if you use film-free decal method (only ink stays on the dial).
      From my short (but still 3 years) experience I would say you'd better start using the standard method then, when you achieve to get nice and crispy decal prints, try the film-free method.
      For the film-free you'll need a laser printer.

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - A/6538 Burford Milsub
      2 - sorry ... that build is classified
      3 - 16800 Comex Rolex - dated 1984
      4 - Heavily modded 16610 cheapie

Comment

Originally posted by manodeoro View Post
        itgoes211 ... it all depends on what you consider "cheap" and which sort of movement you want to use.
        For 2824-2 or 2813 movements you could find dials on DHGate or eBay for about $5 shipped each if you buy some.
        Hi, are you talking about dial blanks? Because I’ve used every combo of words I can think of on eBay and all I get is page after page of cheap watches. Any chance of a link to a seller? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post
          Hi, are you talking about dial blanks? Because I’ve used every combo of words I can think of on eBay and all I get is page after page of cheap watches. Any chance of a link to a seller? Thanks!

I have found luck on eBay by just typing your movement and watch dial like “2813 watch dial” and then sort by lowest price. on Dhgate typically you have to bulk orders.

Comment

Originally posted by chrome72 View Post

I have found luck on eBay by just typing your movement and watch dial like “2813 watch dial” and then sort by lowest price. on Dhgate typically you have to bulk orders.
            Great thanks chrome72. I’d started having more luck leaving out any reference to size in mm, but all I seemed to find were Raffles dials!

Comment

Inspired by this amazing thread, I've decided to focus my attention for my own attempt at dial printing on recreating a model from my birth year, 1964. I found some great high res reference for a '64 5513 sold through an online watch auction house that I can use for source material. It has a gilt no date dial, meters first.

I have a graphic design background and have been using Illustrator and Photoshop since they were first released. A year or so ago I designed and created the artwork for a set of instruments for my friend and colleague who was hand building a car - a project that I enjoyed immensely. So naturally I had already been wondering if recreating a watch dial was a feasible project, before I came across this thread. I've begun dabbling in "vintegizing" rep Rolex, and this will add to that (if I can manage to pull it off).

I'd like to thank you Bart for your templates - they're an amazingly useful starting point for this project and give me a really good positioning guide for the elements I'm generating. What I've started to do now is use the very high-res dial photos I've sourced to recreate all the printed elements of the dial as Adobe Illustrator vector artwork. I can then either print the vector art directly onto the waterslide decal film, or rasterize it in order to introduce "noise" to whatever degree looks right (along with discolouration of the dial).

I'm starting with the depth rating and word Submariner. When you get in close, it's fascinating to see the hand drawn characters on these dials. For instance, in the first line, every zero is a subtly different shape. It'll take a few hours to hand draw these using the pen tool to outline each character and mess with the curves to get the tracing close enough that I'm happy with it. Here we go..!

Last edited by n0bby; 13-08-19, 19:51.

Comment

This is as far as I've got tonight. I'll finish this text and move onto the Rolex logo tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by manodeoro View Post

I've got some succes while building my 5513 Serpico Y Laino gilt dial about 2 years ago .
                  What I did :
                  - mirror polished my dail plate
                  - carved down the polished dial plate about 0.3mm where I wanted the white SYL wrtittings ... just used a diamond grinder on a dremel
                  - used a mix of whte/silver nail varnish to fill the sunken place ... taking care to put it "flush deck" with the polished part of the dial
                  - put my black decal on
                  - no varnish finish

Below are some pics of the result.
                  The shine of the gilt areas is too low IMO because I put too much layers of matte varnish on the decal after printing to protect the inkjet ink from water.
                  I will redo that dial, some day, using a gold plated dial plate and film-free decal so the gilt will be greater.

Hi manodeoro don't know if you are tried with Laser printer but to me that's the best way to get a crisp dial and to finish I use varnish spray.
                  I tried lot of method and many printer settings with my Canon inkjet with no really success (at least 50 try...) , every time dial is not enough dark and finally turn to red after some time, and like you the Gilt effect isn't very good.
                  In picture below this is not very noticeable because my badly photo but this Dial was made with laser printer in real life result is very good and Gilt awesome as well (hard to catch with my old Iphone...)
                  Also Bart had advised me to use multi layers of "Cleopatre" Varnish spray on finish ... In France, you could find it in a shop named Cultura

Last edited by François.Fillon; 13-08-19, 22:07.

Comment

One year later dial with laser printing it doesn't turn to red !

Comment

Originally posted by François.Fillon View Post
                      One year later dial with laser printing it doesn't turn to red !
                      Looks lovely François.

I just bought a laser printer specifically to print these dial decals, so this is encouraging to see!

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post
                        Looks lovely François.

I just bought a laser printer specifically to print these dial decals, so this is encouraging to see!
                        Thanks Bro and Good luck with your decal, it's not a rocket science to do it but some skills are needed and lot of tests are required as well before done one good dial... And I don't talk about the lume this is still an other story...

But satisfaction at the end is very high when you did a good gilt dial made by yourself.
                        Last edited by François.Fillon; 15-08-19, 07:33.

Comment

Originally posted by François.Fillon View Post
                          Thanks Bro and Good luck with your decal, it's not a rocket science to do it but some skills are needed and lot of tests are required as well before done one good dial... And I don't talk about the lume this is still an other story...

But satisfaction at the end is very high when you did a good gilt dial made by yourself.
                          Indeed, that's good advice - I know this is going to be far from easy... Having spent many years making scale models and scratch-building parts, I'm aware of how tricky this sort of artistic endeavour will be. My default approach is "learn by your mistakes" and I expect plenty of them... But I do relish the challenge and the potential end result!

Comment

Anyone in Italy has some decal printed dial to sell??
                            Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                            X