• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal printed dial

itgoes211

10/4/19
Briteling : I like this one. Looks like you used the “double-layer with different sized letters” to get the crispness? I remember the “denim” dials from your (or someone else’s?) post from a while back. I like the look - add a Levi logo in the bottom, lower left or right of the dial, and it could pass for a corporate gift piece. Remember the dominoes dials?

Sidenote ... I wonder why we don’t see any corporate collaboration dials in this thread?
like :
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=9045654
or
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=636388

itgoes211

10/4/19

Heres a first attempt at 6610 Red Depth with a little tropical spice. I’ve tweaked a few things like spacing in v02. The case/hands are just lay-ons for context.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Briteling : I like this one. Looks like you used the “double-layer with different sized letters” to get the crispness? I remember the “denim” dials from your (or someone else’s?) post from a while back. I like the look - add a Levi logo in the bottom, lower left or right of the dial, and it could pass for a corporate gift piece. Remember the dominoes dials?

Sidenote ... I wonder why we don’t see any corporate collaboration dials in this thread?
like :
or

Thanks! This one was just a two layer, but I hand engraved the details on it before baking it. When you use a soft brass oiler you can engrave the still soft toner ink quite easy without scratching the dial blank. Then when you bake it, everything turns very smooth. Then I lacquered it with a matte finish and did that in a way that adds texture.

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Working on an exclamation mark, silver depth 5512, with a double gradient tropic dial. This is aimed to be a very subtle kind of tropic effect, and I like how it turned out.

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-11-at-18-35-34.jpg

Last edited:

Netesac

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/15
I have started water slide decal printing with good results, but I'm looking to switch to film free.

What laser printers are being used with good results?

Currently I take water slide decal paper to the local print shop to be printed by high end industrial Cannon color printers (better blacks).

I'm currently looking at the Brother HL-L2350DW which does 2400 x 600 and is only $89 USD.

Has anyone used this printer or have suggestions on another printer at a similar price point?

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
I am simply using what is available to me, and that is a Toshiba 2505AC that we have at work. I have tried an old HP P2055DN black only laser printer, but it was performing way worse. Other than those, I can not comment on the subject of which is the best printer much. I did have one sheet printed at a professional print shop once, and it also wasn't better. They said this comes down to the toner quality. Basically a printer can try to go for a higher DPI all it wants, but it is not going to matter as long as the toner particle size does not improve above that. They said realistically you will never surpass 600dpi, not even in the best possible case, with laser printers.

Reactions: Netesac

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Yes, but my experience confirms what the copyshop guys told me, cause when I choose 600x600 I get exactly the same result as 1200x1200

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Thanks! Yes it is a film free decal. I don't think I'll be using anything else some time soon. The case is Silix, but it has undergone a fair amount of case work and a crown replacement.

Last edited:

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Tropic gilt 5512 PCG, with original NOS Paul Breguette sapphire-bearing movement in 18000bph, with H6 hands height kit and extended second hand. The hands set is Clarks, the crown an Athaya 700, the HR case has various modifications done (drilled for fat spring bars), insert is gen, except for the pearl, homemade dial and lume.

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-22-at-07-32-16.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-22-at-15-56-18.jpg

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam

like :
or

Ok, done...
levi-s-denim-dial.jpg

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
My ‘inspiration’ for how I wanted the watch to look. This was my grail 6538...well used but a survivor.

I managed to persuade Briteling to make me a decal dial. He was a massive help in all respects of the build from there on, and even donated a new Silix crown to replace the one I messed up! (thanks Briteling).

So now I had a gilt relief dial. I’d originally requested it glossy (so I could decide later if I wanted it matte). After taking a long look at it, I decided to give it a matte laquer coat. That worked well, and I’ve since given it a nice second coat with some matte/ coffee/ brush ‘stamping’ to give it a very organic/ random distressed texture, that is very hard to capture, but looks great IRL. I used a combination of sulphur, inks and matte lacquer on the hands until they matched the fantastic Lume job that Briteling did on the dial.

I’d had so many mishaps with mounting hands that I then sent it to ado213 for drilling of lugs and final assembly. It’s no high end VN build, but I’m happy with the result;

itgoes211

10/4/19
Ok, done...
levi-s-denim-dial.jpg

Lol! You made my day - I’m grinning from ear to ear. It looks great. And the lume job is spot on for context with the color and thickness - looks like hem thread almost.
You must have an assembly line set up... you pump these things out like nothing!

Now you’ve got me thinking up some really funny/ironic logos that would make people do a double-take - maybe Wal-Mart, WaWa, or KGB (I have a KGB Vostok). Actually, I might make a Lada version, that you’ll be cool.
Anyway, great job and well played!

Briteling

Known Member
28/1/19
Amsterdam
Wow guys, isn't this the best thread ever? I gotta hand it to the founders of it, who 's ideas have inspired me no end!! A big shout out and thanks to Bart!

It is tremendous fun to see that 6538, how it has come to life and I am glad I was able to contribute to that, it is a stunner!

I thought the jeans dial was a great idea, and some of my friends have already said they want one. Making a dial takes me about two hours give or take, so yeah I can make them fairly fast for a handcrafted job. I always say, almost anything is possible, and I am not bluffing.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadpan

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Wow guys, isn't this the best thread ever? I gotta hand it to the founders of it, who 's ideas have inspired me no end!! A big shout out and thanks to Bart!

It is tremendous fun to see that 6538, how it has come to life and I am glad I was able to contribute to that, it is a stunner!

I thought the jeans dial was a great idea, and some of my friends have already said they want one. Making a dial takes me about two hours give or take, so yeah I can make them fairly fast for a handcrafted job. I always say, almost anything is possible, and I am not bluffing.

How much time does it take you to lume a dial? I have fiddled with test dials and its in no way a clean job. Tools coming in today for more precise luming.

Reactions: Briteling

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
My ‘inspiration’ for how I wanted the watch to look. This was my grail 6538...well used but a survivor.

I managed to persuade Briteling to make me a decal dial. He was a massive help in all respects of the build from there on, and even donated a new Silix crown to replace the one I messed up! (thanks Briteling).

So now I had a gilt relief dial. I’d originally requested it glossy (so I could decide later if I wanted it matte). After taking a long look at it, I decided to give it a matte laquer coat. That worked well, and I’ve since given it a nice second coat with some matte/ coffee/ brush ‘stamping’ to give it a very organic/ random distressed texture, that is very hard to capture, but looks great IRL. I used a combination of sulphur, inks and matte lacquer on the hands until they matched the fantastic Lume job that Briteling did on the dial.

I’d had so many mishaps with mounting hands that I then sent it to ado213 for drilling of lugs and final assembly. It’s no high end VN build, but I’m happy with the result;

wow, that looks great. What end link reference # are those? seem to fit the silix case pretty well.