• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decal Printed Dials Full Tutorial

repmaster1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/17
Hello all,

All credit for this idea, as far as I'm aware, belongs to Bart Cordell for his pioneering of the decal technique. The intent of this tutorial will be to help to those of you who have attempted to print decal dials in the past and have not gotten the results you were hoping for. Let's jump right into the tutorial!

First off, you'll need files to print. Here is my file for a 6538. I've attached an illustrator version, this is only intended for those of you that are using an exceptionally high resolution or low resolution printer. Anyone using a printer around 1200 or 2400 DPI will not need to use this file. Those of you with average printers will want to use the 1200 DPI or 2400 DPI file. Choose the one that corresponds to the maximum DPI capability of your printer. The higher quality the better the print job! I also attached a tropical dial pattern I created just for fun, although this will be harder to print as it requires color inks. I'll go into the details of this below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k7pb97tuz6c8hx/1200DPI.tif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0galxu9sexmdv5a/2400DPI.tif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocgoqi3mtjbxqiz/IllustratorFile.ai?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4zzwaq9vqar86j/2400DPItropical.tif?dl=0

If you've chosen to use the illustrator file, you'll need to export it as a TIFF at the quality of your choice in order for your print results to look decent. Illustrator uses a strange compression algorithm that causes prints at this small size to look awful if printed through Illustrator itself. So, export the illustrator file as a TIFF and open your TIFF up in photoshop.

Now that we are in photoshop, you'll need to lay out a sheet to test print. I recommend test printing on cheapo 4x6 photo paper so that you don't waste your expensive decal sheets. For the sake of this tutorial, I'll be using A4 size paper, as that is what I have on me. If you are using a different size, be sure to select your respective size wherever applicable.

Open up the TIFF file that you have either made with my illustrator file or downloaded in photoshop. Create a new file, select the appropriate size for whatever paper you are printing on, and most importantly make sure the resolution is set to the same resolution as your TIFF file (IE 1200, 2400). If it's not, when you paste the image into the new file it will not sized correctly, so this is very important.

Now it's simply a matter of copying the dial image from your original TIFF file and pasting it into the new file you just created, and organizing your pasted images into a pattern that you'd like to print (I use a 5x6 rectangle). Once they are organized, be sure to flatten your image. Also, go to image->mode->grayscale if you are printing a purely black image. If not, keep this setting on bitmap

Next, we need to make a custom printer profile. Most printer drivers that are installed by default don't have nearly enough alterable parameters to get a good print result. Just setting your printer to print "high quality glossy photo paper" isn't going to cut it if you want really crisp print results. I have a mac, so this part of the tutorial only applies to mac, however I'm sure the process is very similar to windows. A quick Google search for " alternate printer driver install windows" should give you a similar tutorial. For mac users, you'll want to go into your system preferences and select printers and scanners. At the bottom of this page you'll see a "+" symbol. Click this.

Select the printer you want to use (it needs to be connected to your computer to show up). Click location, then select software.

A long list of different drivers should pop up. Use the search bar to find drivers that are the same brand as your printer. Mine is an Epson 830, so I searched Epson 800.

For Epson printers, the Gutenprint drivers have many more settings than the default drivers, so you'll want to use these. For other printers, you'll have to test different drivers until you find some that work. This is a pretty easy process.

Now it is time to print. Try not to get too excited! Go to file-print and this dialog box should pop up (if you are using photoshop. If not I don't know what you're doing here).

Be sure that your file is centered, as printers tend to get wonky near the edges of the paper. This is also important to keep in mind when laying out the sheet you want to print. Be sure that the printer profile you made is selected, and that the rest of the settings are identical to mine. Click "print," and you'll be brought to another dialogue box. Now it's time to get into the nitty gritty of your print drivers you installed. You'll have to do your own experimentation here, but usually just clicking "best" on all of the settings will give you a good result. Ideally, you want your file to print very slowly and at a quality corresponding to the maximum quality your printer is capable of (Google this). Here are my settings for reference. The platen gap is important to set at 0.0 since you are using relatively thick paper.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-14-at-8.29.36-PMaa0ee50abc5d2ace.png

This step will require some experimentation to get ideal results. If you have an Epson printer you are in luck, as these settings have worked well for me. If you are printing a colored dial of any sort (IE a tropical dial), you'll need to mess around with the ink density settings. I found that decreasing yellow ink density to about .70 gave me good results for the tropical dial pattern that I attached above. The rest of the settings are identical, except of course you'll select RGB instead of grayscale.

Now you can print your decals! Be patient and give the ink 24 hours to dry before spraying clear coat on the paper. Seriously. I hope this tutorial was useful!

View attachment 108261

By the way, I'd be happy to make illustrator patterns for any other dials you guys and gals desire in exchange for random watch parts. I'm a poor college student, so I can't afford many watch parts, but I'd be happy to exchange my time and illustrator skills for some movements/hands/cases to mess around with. Just ask here or shoot me a PM. (If this is against the rules someone let me know and I'll remove it).

Ciccio_started_it

2/1/14
Amazing tips here. I kept bringing my files to a print shop because I'd print out of illustrator and hate the results... This is very helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bart Cordell

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/15
Great thread from a skilled graphic designer ! Much more efficient than my empirical work.
And now I know why my illustrator tests were so bad compared to photoshop despite high res templates.
Thanks for making this contribution mate !

D

d4m.test

Great thread from a skilled graphic designer ! Much more efficient than my empirical work.
And now I know why my illustrator tests were so bad compared to photoshop despite high res templates.
That means a lot coming from the person who inspired me to do this in the first place. Thanks Bart!

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Why not starting to sell finished dials? I would love to pay you good money for a nicely tropical 6538 dial ;) ;)

You have equipment and skills!

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
@Bart Cordell is the KING of waterslides...but thank you for compressing the hundreds of posts into a short, concise tutorial for beginners!!!

B

kdo2milger

17/3/06
Great tutorial OP. This dial printing method just keeps evolving and getting better and better.
@Bart Cordell and @repmaster1234 Both of you have taken custom built reps to a new level.
I am inspired to acquire a good Epson printer and experiment myself!

GC

I'm Pretty Popular
1/2/10

The highest compliment from the Master himself... I can’t top that, so I will just say
“You done good kid, bravo “

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Excellent tutorial! :clap: :clap:

I'd like to add this to the list of tutorials in my signature if you don't mind...

Bart Cordell

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/15
The highest compliment from the Master himself... I can’t top that, so I will just say
“You done good kid, bravo “

Finally, the new generation! I am sincerely pleased to see the quality of repmaster work.
The bad thing is that I will have to redo all my dials LOL !

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Excellent tutorial! :clap: :clap:

I'd like to add this to the list of tutorials in my signature if you don't mind...

You know why I am begging to buy a tropical big crown dial, right? :hehehe:

It will be delivered NOT at my address.:angel:

2fake4u

20/9/16
Nice. Been thinking of doing something like this.

Didn't see it, what paper do you use?

Kentman

Known Member
5/5/16
Brilliant tutorial, thanks. I would also be glad to pay for dial or two if you want to go into production and raise some funds.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Why not starting to sell finished dials? I would love to pay you good money for a nicely tropical 6538 dial ;) ;)

You have equipment and skills!
Brilliant tutorial, thanks. I would also be glad to pay for dial or two if you want to go into production and raise some funds.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
I'll consider it, being a professional counterfeiter isn't the most appealing title however :p