• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
This whole scenario busts the lid open for every watch selling as 904L now. I've been seeing more and more of this instance. GMF is releasing everything as 904L and it could very well be a small clasp that's 904L and everything else being 316L. Personally idgaf about either, but the lying/trickery to add $100+ to the watch price for essentially nuffin is fookin shite.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neo_Goku1

Horology Curious
26/9/20
The fact that we have been lied to by zzf is bad (if it's actually true), but at the same time, the fact that no one realized it after buying their watches must mean that there is basically no visual difference in the everyday use of the watch.

You definitely CANNOT tell the difference between 316l and 904l on the wrist.

Here's a pic, which one is 904l? which one is 316l?

AF4275-A0-4-A75-47-A7-B58-F-438015-CA18-CC.jpg

Hmm...all 3 look different. First one stands out the most. I dont think its steel because the light colour reflecting of it is kind of milky. It also looks soft so im gonna guess white gold. Second one is definitely 904L, maybe apart from the bezel and last one is 316L but again the bezel has a different hue which is suspect. Im guessing you swapped parts out with different factories or something because those last 2 watches are not fully showing the same colour steel from the case and bezels which is kind of annoying.
Once you point it out though it will be easy to distinguish.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Hmm...all 3 look different. First one stands out the most. I dont think its steel because the light colour reflecting of it is kind of milky. It also looks soft so im gonna guess white gold. Second one is definitely 904L, maybe apart from the bezel and last one is 316L but again the bezel has a different hue which is suspect. Im guessing you swapped parts out with different factories or something because those last 2 watches are not fully showing the same colour steel from the case and bezels which is kind of annoying.
Once you point it out though it will be easy to distinguish.

Well yeah, correct, but that doesn't count since i already showed the result in this thread https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-or-316l/page3 and you liked some answers, specifically post number 32 and 39. This means that your magically perfect answer must have been taken from it AHAHA

You won't be able to see shit irl, unless you have bionic eyes, you can barely see a difference between WG and steel, there is even less of a difference between 316l and 904l lmao

Once you know it tho, you can't unsee the WG

Last edited:

Neo_Goku1

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that post which was weeks ago. Ill go have a look now if i can find it if anyone else guessed right :) BTW you arn't helping by further confusing and misinforming the community by trying to trick them. Just saying.

Edit - and really bro? You trying to turn this into a WG thing as well? Thats even easier to spot. Anyway, i just proved my point. I'm right and you just suck because us poor folk have a better eye for detail than you rich guys who just buy things and cant tell the difference.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that post which was weeks ago. Ill go have a look now if i can find it if anyone else guessed right :) BTW you arn't helping by further confusing and misinforming the community by trying to trick them. Just saying.

Edit - and really bro? You trying to turn this into a WG thing as well? Thats even easier to spot. Anyway, i just proved my point. I'm right and you just suck because us poor folk have a better eye for detail than you rich guys who just buy things and cant tell the difference.

Gotta love when 19 posts Reddit dwellers come and dump their insecurities on us stupid rep lovers lmao

Neo_Goku1

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Gotta love when 19 posts Reddit dwellers come and dump their insecurities on us stupid rep lovers lmao

Well you do look kind of stupid now since i proved you can distinguish the difference if you know what to identify. You even made it easy by mixing 904L and 316L on the same watches LOL. Thanks for the easy reference to compare the 2. Why dont you mix 904, 316 and WG links together next on the same bracelet and see if theres no distinguishable difference :)

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
i proved you can distinguish the difference

You didn't prove shit lol

How weird is that the only one who supports your thesis (you) is the only one who is claiming to have proved wrong everyone else's thesis, after watching a grainy photo? In a flawless way i must admit.

It almost looks as if you knew the answer already! Almost as if the result of the initial question had already been released!

Oh wait...

Again, the point of my post is that there is NO WAY that anyone can see the difference IRL especially if there is no watch to compare and especially if we are talking about 904l vs 316l.

One thing is a still macro photo, one thing is real life.

People shouldn't care about these invisible "tells", and should focus more on what's way more visible, like crystals or inserts / dials.

I do think it's scummy and obnoxious how some factories lied to us about the kind of metal they are using, don't get me wrong. But why is that no one is making a fuss about the rep's ceramic inserts? Why doesn't anyone care about the % of silica or other materials in the inserts? Because i assure you there is a big difference between rep inserts and gens.

Let me tell you, it's just a fetish. It's a marketing strategy to pump 100$ more dollars out of your pockets.

There is no real life advantage of using 904l over 316l, and i've seen countless of reps supposed to be 316l next to my gens and the color is basically the same, you can't notice a difference in real life, you could complain about the finishing, or the grade of polishing, those could make light reflect differently for sure.

It's all about being realistic and realize what's visible, and what's not, what's noticeable and what's not, it's also a lot based on personal priorities for sure.

Neo_Goku1

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Ok buddy, you have your opinion and thats fine by me. One thing a wise old man said to me was that it doesn't what anybody else thinks, as long as i know the truth.
I dont have a problem with you because you seem like a nice guy. We will just have to agree to disagree i suppose. Cheers.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Unless you have them side by side, you can’t tell, and sometimes it depends on the polishing job and lighting. I personally don’t like 904L because of the high nickel content. On hot sweaty days I get a slight rash from 904L steel because of a skin reaction. Given the cost difference between 316 and 904, I’m not surprised that factories are lying about what they are using. Thankyou Angus for taking the time to test them.

Last edited:

Fab87pz

2/8/18
For those who care, ARF V4 is out on Angus website, but only A2824 version

Substar

16/9/20
There will be none I believe, Angus is been quiet on this thread for a long time!

Not surprised with some of the nonsense talked in this thread! Hopefully he will return with his insights soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Also do not forget Angus is a dealer, would not like to side with one factory

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Last edited:
Reactions: mari115

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
https://trustytime.asia/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22078

Okay wait a tick, AFF factory has watches at $288 with 904L? Wtf?

So the watch production value must be under $100 then.

This is bonkers. So they could be lying that it's 904L or 904L is not expensive at all to work with and we're being gaped.

:picard:

Wasn't there an expert, someone who works in the metallurgy field, who said on here somewhere that there's no real difference in tooling? And not much difference in price. So yeah, it's basically Rolex with the fake marketing, making us think 904 is better and pricier when neither is especially true.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Well apparently 904l is 2 or 3 times more expensive than 316l, and i don't think you need specific machinery for it.

Also, even if it costs 2/3 times more, 2/3 times 5-10 euros is still 10-30 euros, the difference is basically nothing, they just exploit the marketing in order to make us pay 100$+ more.

The cost to make a single watch must be around 40-80$, if you make it in 904l it would be just a small percentage more, but they make us pay an incredible premium

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Well apparently 904l is 2 or 3 times more expensive than 316l, and i don't think you need specific machinery for it.

Also, even if it costs 2/3 times more, 2/3 times 5-10 euros is still 10-30 euros, the difference is basically nothing, they just exploit the marketing in order to make us pay 100$+ more.

The cost to make a single watch must be around 40-80$, if you make it in 904l it would be just a small percentage more, but they make us pay an incredible premium
At this rate every single shitter will be labeled 904L and sold at $180+ :lol:

Can't say we didn't see this coming. For example, datejusts and basic movement watches were generally in the $200-$300 range. Now with the 904L ploy that can be pushed to the $420+ range easily.

(Violently wags finger)

Reactions: romeospadre