• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[pompompurin's] Let's review and franken an ARF 116234 Datejust :D

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Okay guys, i thought I won't do another franken build until i finish what was left on my plate first....

...but an instagrammer DM-ed (directly-messaged) me with comparison pics of his gen 116234 vs his newly-acquired rep ARF 116234. I was immediately blown away into the next dimension for a brief moment because of how similar the rep and gen looked. It's safe to say that i was immediately convinced and that was the moment i decided that i MUST build a franken one asap (as a Datejust lover, it would be a SIN for me not to franken an ARF 116234). As for the instagrammer who DM-ed me, he immediately sold his gen 116234 and swapped a gen dial into his ARF 116234 - he didn't see the point of keeping the gen when they are both identical (and this includes the bezel flute - they are virtually identical in terms of dimensions and flute angles)

To start off this project, i pick up this beautiful 116200/116234 dial. I decided to pick up this gen 116200 / 116234 sunburst silver dial because I believe it is the most representative dial colour of a Rolex Datejust. I intend to use the silver sunburst dial to build a plain-jane-looking modern 36mm Rolex - a combination of simplicity with elegance (just like the kinda girls I like ahaaaa).
ukg1v9N.jpg

I will order an ARF 116234 from sead shortly later and I will do a full review of it here in this thread

Meanwhile at home, i have the following parts now and here is the ingredient list for this build:
1. Gen Rolex 116200 / 116234 silver sunburst dial
2. Gen 3135 date disc
3. Gen 25 295c LEC crystal (without AR)

I am still deciding if i should go for the jubilee bracelet version or the oyster bracelet version.

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Oh man, you are building my grail watch, this will be really interesting! Subscribed right now!

twowheelsdaily

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/10/16
I have to agree, go with the oyster, it makes the datejust a lot more verstaile and sporty than on jubilee. I just received mine on oyster yesterday and the watch feels absolutely amazing just like GEN no joke! I am blown away at the feel of this watch and I think these frankens are going to be absolute killers when they are done. As you know, I'm still gathering a couple more parts for mine and I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Edit: Add a gen stem to your build. The arf one is a little too short. I was able to pick up a gen stem and crown together on ebay for $80. Well worth it in my opinion.

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
Wooooowww, beautiful. I want the blue dial. So gen crown and stem, gen sapphire and gen DW and we ok? Or needing the dial too?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
hah it's going to be fun for sharing. But I am still stuck in deciding if I should for the jubilee bracelet or oyster bracelet version
Go for oyster, it is more universal and imo less femine than the jubilee. The jubilee does look kinda feminine with its delicate centerlinks.

Oyster may be more bland but it tones down the blingy fluted bezel.

Go for it and get a spare jubilee along the way!

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Subscribed with great interest.

Can you buy both oyster and jubilee? I like the jubilee because it dresses it up so much and I need that in my collection

Reactions: Holla09

mumk

Renowned Member
13/7/10
Can you show us the comparison photos you were sent? Love the dial, trying to find one too

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Look forward to another practical build.

Why not get both the bracelets? Oyster for daily and Jubilee for a dressed up look.

Also, do you plan to retain the fluted bezel or get it rhodium plated?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Man, go for the oyster, it makes the Datejust even more versatile than it normally is. Check this out:

View attachment 91762

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review

That does look beautiful and simple!

I have to agree, go with the oyster, it makes the datejust a lot more verstaile and sporty than on jubilee. I just received mine on oyster yesterday and the watch feels absolutely amazing just like GEN no joke! I am blown away at the feel of this watch and I think these frankens are going to be absolute killers when they are done. As you know, I'm still gathering a couple more parts for mine and I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Edit: Add a gen stem to your build. The arf one is a little too short. I was able to pick up a gen stem and crown together on ebay for $80. Well worth it in my opinion.

thank you for the heads up! I will grab some 3135 stem in that case
Wooooowww, beautiful. I want the blue dial. So gen crown and stem, gen sapphire and gen DW and we ok? Or needing the dial too?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

in my opinion, the stock crown and dial looks fine, and crystal is optional i guess. Overall, the stock ARF looks fine IMO but except for stock date disc - the font is too bold. Can always install a cheaper $25 noob date disc -> www.pf-818.com/rlacc-931-datewheel-for-sa-3135.html

Go for oyster, it is more universal and imo less femine than the jubilee. The jubilee does look kinda feminine with its delicate centerlinks.

Oyster may be more bland but it tones down the blingy fluted bezel.

Go for it and get a spare jubilee along the way!

jubilee is my favourite bracelet hah because it retains that classic look. I especially love jubilee bracelets on 1675 GMT Master

but I am leaning for the oyster because i have 2x jubilee at home
I think the oyster bracelet is made in 904L steel. The jubilee is not

i guess they are both made of 904l - ARF and gen
Can you show us the comparison photos you were sent? Love the dial, trying to find one too

i will ask the guy who sent me the pics to see if he allows me to share it

This gonna be a great build :)

Thanks!

i look forward to finishing it soon. The waiting game begins

Subscribed with great interest.

Can you buy both oyster and jubilee? I like the jubilee because it dresses it up so much and I need that in my collection

Look forward to another practical build.

Why not get both the bracelets? Oyster for daily and Jubilee for a dressed up look.

Also, do you plan to retain the fluted bezel or get it rhodium plated?

Unfortunately, an extra bracelet cost like $100+ as i recall reading it from somewhere - I rather spend the $100 on my future franken 16613 build. I got a lot of jubilee bracelets at home so I will try oyster this time

I have a spare smooth bezel (from unknown origin) at home - I will try installing that and see if the profile is similar to the genuine

I don't plan to plate the fluted bezel - dont think rhodum plating is cheap when gen smooth bezel can be bought for $75 USD as I have seen

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
36mm DJ with a Jubilee and a silver stick dial is my grail Watch. Have an almost all gen 5 digit which I absolutely love but needs a bit of tweaking. Should be a fantastic build this :)

FinanceSammy

Renowned Member
19/2/17
159ed39a1ead755f862fb0fe9498dffa.jpg

Thought I would add my ARF to the mix. It is such a great watch. Everything is completely interchangeable as gen. I’ve added a gen diamond bezel, gen refinished mop diamond dial, black hole crystal, had the bracelet rebrushed and dipped in ultra sonic, changed datewheel, services Yuki and made it a Hybrid with Gen parts. All the date mechanisms and some more. Runs fantastic and feels fantastic. Good luck with yours bro. It will look great.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
Now i feel like i need this. Lol