• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JF 16610 LN compared to gen, TC

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Guys, I haven't done a photo review before and definitely don't have the talent that some of you do. If you have any particular shots or angles you want to see, just reply and let me know. Before the comparison, here are some shots of the JF by itself:

For the first two shots below, the gen and JF were photographed at the same distance with the same focal length, so distortion should not be much of a factor (one may have been a few mm closer to the camera than the other as the case holding the watches moved between shots).

Here we see some tells: Notice that the signature reflection of the dial plots that is always visible in the bevel of a five-digit crystal is absent on the JF. I don't know if this is because of the crystal profile (the bevel is slightly smaller), crystal height, AR treatments (JF LV owners have noted some weird AR treatments on their crystals) or the rehaut. However, looking at these two pics--and the watches on the wrist--I am convinced the rehaut angle is much closer to gen than on the older JF LV watches, if not identical. If there is any issue with the rehaut on this revised case, it may be that it is too short. See the third picture below. It is hard to tell when comparing the engraved to the unengraved rehauts, but the JF looks slightly shorter than the gen and TC. Also, notice that the dark ring around the top of the rehaut is bigger on the JF than it is on the gen and TC, suggesting that there is more space between the rehaut and the bottom of the crystal.

The new JF CGs are closer to gen than TC. They are slightly thinner than my gen, consistent with a five digit that has been polished once. But they are the correct length and profile for a late five digit (different from a 90's 16613 case I have), and have the correct uninterrupted line separating them and the crown relief area from the flat profile of the top of the case.

GEN

JF

TC, GEN, JF

My photography skills are the limiting factor here, but the crown looks very good to me. Crown height relative to the rest of the case is, of course, gen-like. Notice that the profile of the bezel is a little different, although the bezels changed enough throughout production of the watches that the JF could be an accurate rendering of an engraved rehaut model. As others here have discussed, the scalloped areas of rolex sport bezels are not polished, but rather reflect heavily at certain angles because of fine tool marks. Those are present on the JF, although the fineness of those marks is not perfectly identical to gen. It is on par with TC pre-PA bezels in appearance and in feel/feedback.

If you couldn't tell (I can't without looking at the uncropped picture, where the hang tag is on the gen), gen is on the left. The slightly narrower crownguards are visible even at this angle, where the curvature out towards the CG starts further out on the flat edge of the gen case than the JF. To me, this is not noticeable at all unless the watches are side by side, and again a polished gen would looks like the JF.

I don't see much point in a bracelet comparison, as I don't know of any improvements since the JF other than the single-piece SEL, but I'm happy to post shots if people want them. The clasp is pretty flawed, and feels nothing like gen. There is some tension as the main portion is closed such that it springs open with little effort, although when on the wrist the flip-lock holds it down without issue. One other thing you won't get from the pictures: the crown threads have a slightly rough, gritty feel not present on gens. However, winding, date setting, and hack/time-setting all feel gen-like.

Hope this helps, guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: electric

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
Thanks for that !

Is it me or JF text on dial looks very bold ?

Some little details are a bit off but overall a great rep.

Reactions: dnvnlm

Spinman

25/10/16
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I think it's a great review and will be very helpful to those on the fence about purchasing the JF LN.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Thanks for that !

Is it me or JF text on dial looks very bold ?

Some little details are a bit off but overall a great rep.

Some of that is my shooting... there is some blur/shaking in the JF pic that makes the text appear bolder than it is, although the font is very slightly bolder.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
great thread. love to see these types of comparisons. jf appears to be a bargain in the absence of tc these days.

Spinman

25/10/16
great thread. love to see these types of comparisons. jf appears to be a bargain in the absence of tc these days.

That's exactly the reason I ordered my JF LV. T.C. was no longer offering sales, and I didn't have a choice. JF fills a niche and allows us to have something for a great price. I'm glad to now have both, and I do think the TC is much nicer than my stock JF LV. If the JF LV was modded with a new DW, crown, crystal and serviced, it would be getting closer to the TC, and right now, that's our only option. Of course, then the price is more than the TC and is no longer such a bargain. That's our present conundrum

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Very nice. My Ln arrives tomorrow so I'll comment on any improvements from the LV and check updates like retainer gasket groove etc.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Thanks a lot for the review.

It is very nice !

What's your opinion @smoke? :)
My opinion is the jf ln 16610 is easily jf factorys best work.it smokes that crappy lv they came out with by miles.as for the bold print this dial jf is using in the ln is a copy of the 2008/2010 dial and the layount and font is correct.the boldness lools to be pretty simular to the gen version of this dial .but hard to be sure without a gen 16610 from 2008/2010 next to it in the same pic.improvements of this ln vs the jf lv are clear as day.sel improved,rehaut is not wokky no more,rehaut is shiny now,rehaut engraving is deep and double outlined like gen.only issue is the font especially noticable on the foot of the r.
Cg also look a bit better aswell.now if jf can improve the rehaut engraving font ill glady buy one

lfarcos

Renowned Member
30/4/16
Thanks a lot @smoke for your analysis :)

Since getting a TC is practically impossible, this JF LN is a great alternative for this price.

It's a shame the DW is still incorrect, but the dial font is more white than the JF LV, where it was lighter.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
This JF with gen crystal and date wheel would probably come to around the same as a stock TC Extreme? I would venture that would then be an extremely close call between the two. Insert + crown as well would make it a great franken for much lower cost than the TC especially if you're comparing to a TC with a Yuki in it.

lfarcos

Renowned Member
30/4/16
Do you know if the JF LN accepts GEN parts or GEN spec? (crystal, insert, DW, ...)

Spiker

Known Member
9/5/11
Sold my TC v6 and really regret it. This JF would be a nice addition. Looks really good, thanks for the pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Thanks a lot @smoke for your analysis :)

Since getting a TC is practically impossible, this JF LN is a great alternative for this price.

It's a shame the DW is still incorrect, but the dial font is more white than the JF LV, where it was lighter.
Buy a gen date disc or that really good replica 3135 disc on ebay

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Thank you @DC109 for your beautiful pics and for taking the plunge buying one

I am now officially sold. Going to order one definitely, once they fix the weak SEL issue
Then I am going to..
1. sand the rehaut
2. have someone drill lug holes into it
3. franken the hell out of it with gen parts
4. enjoy

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/1/15
Great comparison thread, especially for your first time. Thanks for this, I’ve been eagerly awaiting a comparison since the JF came out.

On a side note, I think the JF no date ceramic sub that just came out looks outstanding. SELs are razor blade tight, with appropriate height relative to the lugs; even the bezel insert looks to be improved. Not too much needs done to this to get it into “super rep” territory. JF has been on fire with the recent Rolex releases— maybe this’ll spur NOOB factory to up their game...