• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16610, all you need to know.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Considering, I've already done the 16800 history thread, I thought why not do one for the 16610 as well. I'm super bored anyway so I have a lot of time on my hands hehe.

Let's get this started.. The 16610, what is there to say about another iconic submariner.

Rolex%2520Submariner%252016610-fd0016.jpg

What has changed in comparison to the 16800? (Transitional 168000 excluded)
- new movement -> caliber 3135 introduced
- 904L Steel (316L on 16800, 904L on 168000)

Starting of in 1989 the 16610 of course has a few different dials as well.
Here's that:

The Mark1 dial:
H7xbPAD.png

vMKZpO9.png

p5a7XLN.png

This is the first dial that was used on the 16610's and also the only one that was used during the time Tritium was used as luminous material. So if you're looking to build a Tritium 16610, this is the dial to look for.
Mark1 also comes with the flat 4 bezel insert.

The Mark2 dial:
aROsE7d.png

apSzq6y.png

1V1jsOB.png

The luminous material has been changed from Tritium to Luminova.
Main differences between the dials are: Swiss Made writing underneath the 6' marker.
The difference on the depth rating is more than obvious to see I think.
Also the insert has changed on watches this age, the insert has the pointy 4.

The Mark2.1 dial:
yv3vvC6.png

This is basically the same dial as the Mk2 explained above just in a different case. This one was also used in the engraved rehaut cases.
This dial was the first one to be featured in the engraved rehaut cases. There is another one to follow.

The Mark3 dial:
dYA5dii.png

huPNMXp.png

OfNEFFQ.png

In this mark, the wording 'OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE' became wider with a bigger gap between each word. Also the oval at the base of the coronet has become flatter than on previous dials.
The font on the depth rating and below have changed again too, more like they were on the Mk1 yet still a little different.

What else is there to say about the LN?

Lugholes were there until 2003. After that the no lug hole cases appeared (16610T) (Y serial)
SwissMade dials were introduced in the late 90s.
Bracelet changed from 93150 to 93250 in the early 2000s.
Rehaut engraving started around 2007 (Z serial)

Rolex%2520Submariner%252016610-fd0027.jpg

Let's get to the LV then, shall we?
default_blum.gif

20100710-070122.jpg

The LV is the 50th anniversary of the Rolex Submariner. It was introduced at Baselworld 2003. It is also referred to as the 'Kermit' Submariner due to its green bezel insert and black dial.

ALL LV's feature the new 16610T case, there are no lug hole cases. Only the prototype that was presented at Baselworld had lug holes. None of these were sold though.

Let's get to the dial variations..

The Mark1 dial:

AjJJZPn.png

fd9hC7f.png

XWyBoIv.png

Mark 1 went from 2003 up until the middle of 2004.
The main features of the dials are: the swiss made writing is stretched beyond the 28 and 32 minute markers. They have been shortened on the dial to make room for the writing. Also you should notice the oval shape of the 'O' in ROLEX.

The Mark2 dial:

RiCOmjD.png

EhUlUoS.png

3uh3rBv.png

The wording 'Swiss Made' changes from a wide appearance to a rather narrow look. Although it doesn't exceed the 28 and 32 markers, they are still shortened. However the writing remains within these markers. The 'O' in 'ROLEX' is still oval and the 'R' in 'Oyster' is perfectly aligned with the right foot of the 'R' in 'ROLEX'.
Also the coronet is less sharp than in other marks and more fan shaped.

The Mark3 dial:

7Kxe04q.png

XkvCUe7.png

nPNHTK8.png

The 'Swiss Made' appears to be the same as on the Mk2. The 'O' in 'ROLEX' has changed from an oval shape to a round shape. The 'R' in 'OYSTER' is almost aligned with the 'R' in 'ROLEX'.
Also the wording 'OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE' has become wider and with bigger gaps between each word.

The Mark4 dial:

8a8kaNe.png

d11ClNs.png

AiXTL1U.png

The wording 'Swiss Made' remains to be narrow but now the 28 and 32 marker have stopped being shorter and are on the same level as all the other minute tracks. The 'Swiss Made' wording is almost closed by the two markers.
Also the oval at the base of the coronet has become wider.

The Mark5 dial:

D3tfv6e.png

795sugY.png

ncREnke.png

The word 'OFFICIALLY' is placed more to the right and the space between the 'Y' in 'OFFICIALLY' and the 'C' in 'CERTIFIED' has been reduced compared to other marks.

Same as the LN, the LV has two different bezel insert prints. However there are different shades of green ranging from an olive green to a bright one.

The two prints are the flat 4 printed version and the pointy 4 one.
Flat 4 bezels were to be found on LV's up until some of the first Mk2 serials.

All of the LVs came with the 93250 bracelet (SEL bracelet)

Of1Qoab.jpg

FzL9Y9B.jpg

Now to build these things.

Of course, the easiest way to have one of these things is to buy a TC. However if you still want to build you can use my above post for reference of periodical correctness.

Best parts to use are:

Case: TC, Sean, WM9, Gen, Phong
Dial: Gen, TC KH
Hands: Gen, TC v3
Insert: Gen, TC v2 (although not as good)
Crown: Gen (24-703-0), Tube: Gen or TC (Gen: 24-7030-0)
Crystal: Gen (25-295-C2)
Bracelet: TC or Gen (93250 (SEL) / 93150 (TwoPiece))
Bezel Assembly: Gen, Clarks, TCX, Phong
Movement: Gen, Yuki (SH3135) or ETA (Gen: 3135)

Reactions: tokar112

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
[MENTION=84501]QueTip[/MENTION] Quality post my brother

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Man someone has no life...[emoji102]

Hopefully mods sticky this one and it doesn't disappear like some of the other info threads. Very informative brother, its inspired me to start a new project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hopefully mods sticky this one and it doesn't disappear like some of the other info threads.

At least they're out there so a search will pop them up again. :p
They're gone but not forgotten. :lol:

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Am I the only one who's ever had issues with a Clarks bezel assembly and it turning smoothly. I've had two in the past and they would never turn properly, both when installed and loose off the case.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Am I the only one who's ever had issues with a Clarks bezel assembly and it turning smoothly. I've had two in the past and they would never turn properly, both when installed and loose off the case.

I had 2 one of them got a little sanding because it was tough to turn but the other one was superb

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Great post thank you very much!! Glad I have some homework [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Darklite69

Renowned Member
28/12/13
Nice work man. Very informative. IMHO still a far better watch than the 116610

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
IMHO still a far better watch than the 116610

If your referring to "better" "design" it comes down to personal preference brother. Both the five and six digit models have their pros and cons.

Looking at functionality and reliability I would argue the 6 digit is "better".

-No more bracelet stretching
-AR coating on magnifier which make readability of date easier
-Ceramic insert with larger markings make it easier to read and virtually scratch resistant
-clasp construction miles ahead of the old oyster clasp

Darklite69

Renowned Member
28/12/13
It all comes down to personal preference brother. Both the five and six digit models have their pros and cons.

Yeah they both have there perks. I personally think the older one is more balanced. I think the maxi case looks a bit odd with such wide lugs, and the ceramic bezel is a thing of beauty but too blingy. But I thing the new dial and blue lume are better. Which do you prefer?

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Yeah they both have there perks. I personally think the older one is more balanced. I think the maxi case looks a bit odd with such wide lugs, and the ceramic bezel is a thing of beauty but too blingy. But I thing the new dial and blue lume are better. Which do you prefer?

Lol you caught me as I was updating my previous post. Refer to my original post #15

I do agree about the blingy bezel but again that comes down to design and preference.

Darklite69

Renowned Member
28/12/13
Lol you caught me as I was updating my previous post. Refer to my original post #15

Ha! Yeah I guess if your talking purely on a perspective of functionality then the 6 digit wins hands down no arguments. But do any of us actually wear watches for that reason? But each to there own like you say, the beauty of watches is there are so many designs that everybody is catered for. But if your talking purely aesthetics then I think the 5 digit is just an absolutely beautiful, classic design.

Darklite69

Renowned Member
28/12/13

I do agree about the blingy bezel but again that comes down to design and preference.

Oh referring to your point on the new clasp. For me it has to be the best clasp out there. The ability to easily a just depending on how swelled your wrist is is nothing short of genius!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Ha! Yeah I guess if your talking purely on a perspective of functionality then the 6 digit wins hands down no arguments. But do any of us actually wear watches for that reason? But each to there own like you say, the beauty of watches is there are so many designs that everybody is catered for. But if your talking purely aesthetics then I think the 5 digit is just an absolutely beautiful, classic design.

Oh referring to your point on the new clasp. For me it has to be the best clasp out there. The ability to easily a just depending on how swelled your wrist is is nothing short of genius!

Yeah I mean I'm a huge fan of both generations. I've owned /own both and I've always found I more prefer my money invested in a 6 digit only because of the advancements in technology + wrist presence. I love my Subs being disruptive so the bling to some extent is a bonus.

Currently have 2 ceramics:
64945cec6875e009754a2c6187f208dd.jpg

Previous 5 digits:
b6f760618061e946d5f5bc10fae13397.jpg

3aaf00f42dd2c1604e47403687decf82.png

59b4a9c39903088512681c075e1e6eca.jpg