• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New patek philippe nautilus from ppf

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
No, I'm not saying either is more Gen like - I've not got a Scoobie which is more accurate unfortunately. I just noticed a slight difference in shape on that part.

Got it, thanks

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
The propaganda is strong with this watch. 65 pages and barely anyone has it in hand. Many posts about how this watch is so near perfect that Patek will go out of business. And those that disagree based on the usual tells (crooked markers, thickness, long crown, date font, etc.) get blasted by everyone including the mods. Hmmm.

This is not propaganda, it's a bit heated discussion with opposing points of view. Forum life.

Just to be clear to everyone, I call out too much nitpicking and stupid comments for the reason I mentionned previously, but I don't censor anything or prevent anyone from making them, this is a free speech forum, you can say anything you want as long as you remember that other can do it too. Everything needs to be done in a respectfull manner that's all :)

Calling out the flaws is fair game and welcomed, nitpicking on some details for good reasons is too

In fact my comment "finally a dial with markers aligned" referred to the markers being aligned to the dot rail UNLIKE PF watches where the (horridly green) markers where placed with an awful sloppiness here and there not in line with the minute dots. THAT is visible with the naked eye.

Oh yeah, the first time I saw the PF I wondered if that was normal or not, I had to look at the gen to see the correct alignement. However it seems this problem is less and less present on recent PF batches

I know, right! Glaude will do anything for his TD freebies. It's embarrassing

That's a slippin' Jimmy thing to say, I'll chicago sunroof you for that !

Miyota + decoration + case back = 8.6
That’s impossible.

Oh now you are a rep maker and now all the tricks of the trade ? Even I can think of multiple way to achieve correct thickness with the current elements (rotor thining, caseback shaving, etc...)

Wow it really is 8.6mm? Why does everyone have different readings on the caliper.

Because that's how cheap calipers works, they aren't repeatable in their measurements. I'll give bill33 the benefit of the doubt and think that he didn't cheat the measurement, so he's probably right around 8.6mm 8.7mm that the sort of deviation you can expect from a cheap digital caliper.
The higher your measuring device is able to go in accuracy, the better the first digits will be in their repeatability. I use a micrometer to confirm my cheap caliper measurement some time. My caliper is precise for the first digit, of course, but loose accuracy on the second one, list most of them.
The micrometer is precise on the first 3 digits, but will lose some accuracy on the last one.

And if you really want to cheat, I can take a pic right now, on my Mk V5 with the micrometer showing a thickness of 5mm :lol: just need to change the offset of the measurement.

You seem to forget that the biggest tell of a rep will ALWAYS be the person who wears it.

While I agree about the OCD part, this part I don't agree at all, it's not written on your face how much money you make, nor it's on your clothes or anything else.
Filthy rich people don't always need to show the world how rich they are, some of them even avoid that on purpose, some of them will still want to live a regular and normal life even being Rich.
Other people will save up money to buy a gen because they really want to, even if that means paying grey market price because they wouldn't have access to AD retail.

I don't judge the book by its cover in life

Also, see how the lume looks a very different colour to the markers in the fifth photo - it's not. I think it's a trick of the light. It's because the silver edge of the hands changes colour a lot in different light; as the sun shines off it, the outside of the hands changes from black to silver to grey and back again. It's a nice effect. As that colour seems to change, on the photos at least, it makes the lume appear a different colour. But irl, the lume matches perfectly.

Also need to remember how it's done, markers have a solid metal base underneath, hand have nothing, light hit it from behind too, especially with the dial being white and reflective.
Your comment about the hinge is spot on it seems, I would say the PPF is more gen accurate, but that's even harder to say without a side-by-side comparison !

Why? We’re talking tenths of a mm. It cannot be seen, I’d struggle to see it even side by side with the real thing.

Isn't the 15400 from JF a couple of mm thicker than gen ? I've always thought that of the V3 and didn't really follow the V4 differences

Reactions: gilrob and Darude

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
I have been following this thread since quite a while and it really baffles me how OCD most of you guys are..

You seem to forget that the biggest tell of a rep will ALWAYS be the person who wears it.

It seems that people here in the forum tend to believe that having the 100% right dial color or the correct thickness is the most important thing ( while living in a 700€ 60m2 apartment and riding the tube to work where you roughly make about 2000 - 3000€ per month ).

Really don’t want to sound like an ahole, but it seems that most people simply can’t pull of a Nautilus due to their lifestyle...Doesn’t matter how accurate the rep is.

Same goes with Richard Mille reps.

How can you expect other people to believe your RM 35-01 is a Gen while you live paycheck to paycheck ?

And before somebody comes up and tells me „ I tell everybody it’s a rep - Most people know I’m wearing and enjoying reps „ then why the hell are you spending more money to make it accurate ?!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Beg to differ. The founder of the company I interned once is one of the richest people I know. I’m talking hundreds of million. He has a plat Daytona and around 10 cars (Porsche, Maybach etc.). Apart from the cars, he owns around 20 apartments in Frankfurt CBD and one apartment in EVERY major city in the world since he does not like hotels. His own house however is outside of the city and albeit not a tiny flat, it’s modest and what you consider middle class.

He still takes the metro or train to work occasionally, since the traffic is most of the time just terrible. Additionally you would not be able to tell that he’s rich when seeing him on the streets. He does not wear fancy stuff apart from his plat Daytona.

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
While I agree about the OCD part, this part I don't agree at all, it's not written on your face how much money you make, nor it's on your clothes or anything else.
Filthy rich people don't always need to show the world how rich they are, some of them even avoid that on purpose, some of them will still want to live a regular and normal life even being Rich.
Other people will save up money to buy a gen because they really want to, even if that means paying grey market price because they wouldn't have access to AD retail.

I don't judge the book by its cover in life

Exactly my thoughts! Why are u soooo awesome?

Reactions: Glaude

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Do you know what I think is bigger/a different shape on this one (compared to my MKv5 only as I've sold my PF)? The left 'porthole hinge' for want of a better name. The circled bit on the bottom photo. The MK shape is more like the green lines (well, I've exaggerated it a lot). I've also thrown in a couple of quick wristies I took earlier in direct sunlight and shade, shit pics, but I only had a second.

VIxbZh.jpg

Also, see how the lume looks a very different colour to the markers in the fifth photo - it's not. I think it's a trick of the light. It's because the silver edge of the hands changes colour a lot in different light; as the sun shines off it, the outside of the hands changes from black to silver to grey and back again. It's a nice effect. As that colour seems to change, on the photos at least, it makes the lume appear a different colour. But irl, the lume matches perfectly.

That’s true, the proportion just looks a bit odd and fat to me, but I don’t know how to explain it the whole time lol. I also think the bezel is wider as well, have u got the mks with u to compare?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I sort of get where Mr Marbella is coming from. It's not even necessarily about money, is more about how you carry yourself. I bet I could meet Cheeps' former boss and even if I didn't realise that he was as squillionnaire, I bet I would believe his watch to be Gen.

GingerBubba

24/10/17
That’s true, the proportion just looks a bit odd and fat to me, but I don’t know how to explain it the whole time lol. I also think the bezel is wider as well, have u got the mks with u to compare?

I'll dig it out shortly and try and compare.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
I sort of get where Mr Marbella is coming from. It's not even necessarily about money, is more about how you carry yourself. I bet I could meet Cheeps' former boss and even if I didn't realise that he was as squillionnaire, I bet I would believe his watch to be Gen.

Yea of course, I understand where he's coming from too. If you're a college student with a 20 year old car which can barely drive straight, it might be a little overexageratted to wear a 60k watch. On the other hand, if you see a random dude in the metro who does not wear a Brioni suit and John Lobb shoes, it does not mean that his watch is a rep.

Reactions: Glaude

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

That I can fully get behind, first thing that come to mind is the like we had on RWG, Handjob & neo_koolaid, you can see they are fake tossers just by how they behave

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Just to bring some context and perspective to the conversation, this is a PF Nautilus 5711/1A-010 with the custom datewheel from Keylog74 & team.

It's 8,9mm thick and this is how it looks on the wrist. Now if someone tells me they can tell the difference between this and the PPF photo and/or a genuine 5711 I will call bullshit every time. Not even putting them side to side. It's bollocks, you can't tell unless you use a proper measuring tool.

Here's a close up pic of the "crooked" markers (which you can't see unless you zoom in):

And this is how it looks at wrist distance. You can't tell absolutely nothing about thinness or crooked markers. And this isn't even "the best" 5711 out there! So anyone moaning about thinness, crooked markers, wrong fonts or whatever, please think twice before posting.

VIG9fF.md.jpg

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Because that's how cheap calipers works, they aren't repeatable in their measurements. I'll give bill33 the benefit of the doubt and think that he didn't cheat the measurement, so he's probably right around 8.6mm 8.7mm that the sort of deviation you can expect from a cheap digital caliper.

Haha I didn't. If I was on a wind up I'd have set it to 8mm. It measures 8.6mm on my calipers including front and rear crystals which protrude slightly. Granted, they're hardly high precision measuring equipment

Isn't the 15400 from JF a couple of mm thicker than gen ? I've always thought that of the V3 and didn't really follow the V4 differences

Yes, it's worth it on the thick 15400, however he was talking about thinning the PPF in the same way. Pointless IMO for fractions of a mm.

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Just to bring some context and perspective to the conversation, this is a PF Nautilus 5711/1A-010 with the custom datewheel from Keylog74 & team.

It's 8,9mm thick and this is how it looks on the wrist. Now if someone tells me they can tell the difference between this and the PPF photo and/or a genuine 5711 I will call bullshit every time. Not even putting them side to side. It's bollocks, you can't tell unless you use a proper measuring tool.

Here's a close up pic of the "crooked" markers (which you can't see unless you zoom in):

And this is how it looks at wrist distance. You can't tell absolutely nothing about thinness or crooked markers. And this isn't even "the best" 5711 out there! So anyone moaning about thinness, crooked markers, wrong fonts or whatever, please think twice before posting.

VIG9fF.md.jpg

I think what makes the gen so slim is also the mid case profile as well, probably not so much on the case back since it digs onto ur skin. Idk, just guessing lol

Reactions: vcappp

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17

Did the quick below PPF / Gen comparison, and it seems that the bezel is slightly thicker on the PPF, that may be what you're feeling. The rest seems spot on including the side parts (except the crown already discussed)

VIPqyF.jpg

Darude

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/4/18
Did the quick below PPF / Gen comparison, and it seems that the bezel is slightly thicker on the PPF, that may be what you're feeling. The rest seems spot on including the side parts (except the crown already discussed)

VIPqyF.jpg

Oh yes, I was right then :)

Reactions: phdsjain

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Hinclimincli

No chance, the posters saying they can spot it are deluded:

VIP7N0.jpg

VIPLHr.jpg

Totally different indeed. And I'll tell you more, the screw on the right hinge on your PPF is completely different from the one on my PF, TOTALLY!

The line in yours is like this ---> /
While the line in the PF screw on the right hinge is like this ---> \

Absolute dealbreaker here. Sell it m2m quickly, get rid of that aberration!

GingerBubba

24/10/17

Okay, I've totally changed my mind. I think the left porthole hinge is the same size on the MK, but it's so hard to judge because the light bounces off the shiny surfaces and changes the look. The shape is ever so slightly different though I think. It's so marginal, at least irl. A couple of quick pics:

Reactions: csthe and Midnightx

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Totally different indeed. And I'll tell you more, the screw on the right hinge on your PPF is completely different from the one on my PF, TOTALLY!

The line in yours is like this ---> /
While the line in the PF screw on the right hinge is like this ---> \

Absolute dealbreaker here. Sell it m2m quickly, get rid of that aberration!

I totally agree with Hinclimincli ... Now i'm willing to buy it from you. You welcome :)

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Open case back reps store without ending, that’s why I buy only closed ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk