• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Diver 2531.80 Gen Vs Rep Review

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Diver 2531.80 Gen Vs Rep Review

I have being putting off the review as I find them time consuming and long slots of time are limited at the moment. I need something to keep me away from the M2M sales area as I went on a spending spree. In particular I need to avoid looking at @QueTip’s WM9 and @Johnnylazar’s 6538.

I picked up the gen recently, it is a 1999 2531.80. The rep SMP I got on AliExpress 7 months ago. The rep was sold as a 2531.80 but it is not. It is a hybrid between a 2531.80 and a 2220.80. I could not get a decent one from TDs so I just went Ali. Since then I found Reg (Narikaa) has them occasionally and Angus (Puretime) had a very good one reduced from $249 to $158 recently. I have no idea if it is still available.

I have collected SMP parts for the last few months to build a franken, but the cost is pretty high considering the price of a gen. I picked up a brilliant ready made Franken off @junbug5150 but I bought the gen a week later and passed on this beauty to another member.

The rep cost me €90 the gen cost me €1,310, €350 for the bracelet that is currently on it (€290 + €60 in extra Pin work). I had this already collected, The original that came with it stills need some pinwork done but it does fit fine. A service cost me €250.

So the rep cost $95 or around €90
The gen cost €1560 (incl. servicing) or €1910 if you include the bracelet, but I will probably sell the original bracelet and hopefully recoup €250.

So I guess the question we are left with is the gen worth it? I will let you make up your own minds on this. I will say that a superfranken I estimated would cost maybe €900. It would still lack the 1120 heart though.

Review:

This for me is a grail watch. At one point I had the rep, franken and gen, so I am a little obsessed lol.

Side by side to the gen, the rep sticks out a mile, but you would need a seasoned eye, and possibly a maginfier. However I know few people who wear them let alone know what it is. So who would call me out really, and if they did I would have no problem letting them know it was a rep. (I am kind of proud of my little rep still lol). It is not a perfect copy but is really passable. Sold as a 2531.80 but the dial is a copy of the 2220.80 with an attempt at a 2531.80 case back.

MOVEMENT:

The rep movement is definitely automatic with a hack function possibly a DG2813 but I will let the experts confirm this. I do not have a shot of the 1120 inside the gen but the watchmaker assured me it is in there. Only flaw was a big scrape across the automatic bridge. The second hand on the gen sweeps noticably smoother than the rep. The gen is regulated to 0 seconds with the crown screwed downand +2 with the crown screwed out. I would suggest in a very non scientific way that the rep gains about a minute every 3-4 days. The movement in the rep died on me for about 2 weeks no idea why but came back to life under the threat of visiting the watchmaker. It was probably just jealous when I got the franken. It has been working normally since and that was about a month ago.

CASE:

Crystal: The crystal sits a little higher on the rep and is domed compared to the flat gen.

Gen on left rep on right

Case: There is a huge difference in the case itself. The case, on the rep, is much thicker than on the Gen, by a few mms. I have not measured but it is really noticable. It is also of course newer looking. However the refinishing on the gen case and bezel is superb, and looks definitely machine refinished on the rep.

Gen on left rep on right

Crown and HeV: Crown guards on the rep are less rounded than the Gen and the crown is not as flush to the guards as in the gen. The crown itself on the gen is much smaller than the rep. The rep Crown and HeV work appropriately, and it waterproofed without a problem.

Gen on left rep on right

HeV on the rep is slightly above the 10 but not as high as Gen. But is does look correct in terms of size and Omega signature.

Gen on top rep on bottom

Caseback is a 2531.80 not a 2220.80 so a mismatch there. It is a poor copy and very flat compared to the gen. The gen is heavily embossed.

Gen on left rep on right

FACE:

Dial: The dial on the gen has a lot richer texture, the gen also shines with alternate lines of dark blue and white in certain lights. The Omega logo is slightly crooked on close inspection on the rep. Happy feet on the Omega logo for both, which is period correct The dial on the rep is darker and almost black compared to the dark blue of the gen.

Gen on left rep on right

Alternate lines on the Gen Dial

Lume: Lume application is nice and deep on the rep but the batons look cheap on close inspection, as this is nowhere as refined as the gen. The lume bears no comparison to the gen. The gen is super bright and it lasts for at least 2 hours. The rep you would need to squint at after 5 mins and it is not that bright to start with. The lume is directly applied, on the gen, with no surrounds.

Gen on left rep on right

Bezel: Unidirectional Bezel on both. Bezel insert is a shiner and alighter blue but it has also faded over time on the gen.

Hands: Hands are stubbier on the rep. and the lollipop on the sec. hand seems way too big. There is a noticeable difference in quality. The hands on the Gen I replaced with new ones as the old ones were a little tarnished. I regretted it the minute I did it and will probably change them back.

Pearl: Perfect alignment on the gen, Not so much on the rep but it is still pretty good.

BRACELET:

Bracelet: There is no comparison in terms of the bracelet. The rep bracelet is a lot more dull and flat. It is comfortable to wear, even more so than other reps I have but it feels cheap compared to the gen. The gen bracelet is like wearing metal silk on your wrist. This rep is good but much lighter and tinny compared to the real deal. The real bracelet feels like you are wearing metal silk. The real bracelet is much heavier also.

Gens on top rep on bottom

Clasp: Correct engraving on the clasp: Omega Seamaster Professional. Clasp is perfect and lines up flush with the bracelet. No cheap feel about it at all. Divers extension works perfectly but is a little stiff.

Gen on left rep on right
Divers Extension: Really tight on the rep. You need some brute force and ignorance to open it. It is the opposite on the gen. It is loose on both my bracelets and will open while on the wrist sometimes. But this does not effect the clasp and it stays firmly shut.

I really love this watch. I still alternate between the gen and the rep. So I have love for both and both are definitely keepers. If you see me selling a cheapo SMP on M2M you will know I have gone mad. I generally wear the rep on a blue rubber strap now that came with the gen.

I am a little disappointed that the gen did not come with gadget especially the double laser and the grappling hook lol.

Some wristies

GEN

REP

I have a lot of people to thank for getting me so far in my watch obsession. I will have to fill in the names in an edit as I have deleted this post 2 times in error at this stage so I want to get it posted and do the thanking later. However the easy one is A BIG Thank you to the RWI Forum. This is a really great place to be.

Edit: The Thank You list:

Here are a few I would like to thank for sharing my journey: @Champagne iH, @tommy_boy, @dferraro7, @Dusk, @mclarendude, @jcagara08, @frediiii, @MaronAckay, @shelby1501, @R2D4, @Thrasher, @Conquerer, @scottb57, @WingNut, @Mr. Pap, @FiloViridae, @Q5?, @junbug5150, @sead1999, @exelonman, @Fradisch, @KingKantona, @Chroniker, @DreadPirateRobert, @imranbecks, @Peteinhull, @ethanbt, @Tanto91, @Daywatch, @Okie1991, @Naylor07, @pippo, @britain4, @Dr.Verylong, [MENTION=121151]iwantareplica[/MENTION], @ThePapabear71, @JoeyT, @Rotador, @OmegaRules, @xj4sonx, @Mr.Marbella, @rocketdogbert, @hasel53128, @velox, @neeeechlas, @SuperHero and @QueTip who was there in the background and who I hope someday I will convert to Omega lol.

There are many more I have met when it comes to other watches but I am just mentioning those on my SMP journey. Thank you again everyone and thank you again RWI.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Great review. Funny how 2 years ago I hated this watch and now I do believe it will be my 1st north of 1000 usd gen purchase.

sent from my Samsung edge plus v6s

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Great review. Funny how 2 years ago I hated this watch and now I do believe it will be my 1st north of 1000 usd gen purchase.

Thanks Jason, It was obsession at first sight for me lol. You guys are lucky over there you have [MENTION=25769]exelonman[/MENTION] on your doorstep if you want a great SMP.

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Nice review :lol:

I am no Omega guy at all, but I always appreciate Gen vs Rep comparos :thumbup:

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Thanks Jason, It was obsession at first sight for me lol. You guys are lucky over there you have [MENTION=25769]exelonman[/MENTION] on your doorstep if you want a great SMP.
Yes I will commission him for my gen when I am ready I think he sales about 275 a year or so lol

Robert11

15/11/15
Excellent review! I have a question though. You said you had to go to Ali for a decent rep but isn't the one at the link below much better? I.e. 2824 movement. 13mm thickness, etc

Sent from my satellite phone.

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Excellent man!! Still envious. I will be joining you soon.. Don't worry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Excellent review! I have a question though. You said you had to go to Ali for a decent rep but isn't the one at the link below much better? I.e. 2824 movement. 13mm thickness, etc

Sent from my satellite phone.

I bought the Ali SMP in my first weeks on RWI. I was still trying to find my way around. I still know very little but I knew a lot less then. BTW I did not see a link and yes a 2824 would have been a lot better especially because it could take a gen dial and hands.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Excellent man!! Still envious. I will be joining you soon.. Don't worry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks my friend. I can't wait to see yours when you get it. However with your franken I would be in no rush :)

Robert11

15/11/15

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Fantastic comparison! Thanks for sharing! Never really noticed the difference in the bracelets, but clear as day when put next to one another!

Peteinhull

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/16
Great review as always my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Excellent comparison review on a great watch (although I´m not sure if the one TD´s offer is also as thick). Very detailed and well done. Thanks for the work, enjoy them both:)

IMG_8827_zps2tdmum7k.jpg

DSC_3147_zps5kl9boka.jpg

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Great comparison and review mate! Hopefully I'll get one soon enough. :) Enjoy both of them, especially gen. :)

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Fantastic comparison! Thanks for sharing! Never really noticed the difference in the bracelets, but clear as day when put next to one another!

Thank you C. The difference is like chalk and cheese. The gen bracelet is as smooth as silk and very rounded.

Great review as always my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you :)

Excellent comparison review on a great watch (although I´m not sure if the one TD´s offer is also as thick). Very detailed and well done. Thanks for the work, enjoy them both:)

IMG_8827_zps2tdmum7k.jpg

DSC_3147_zps5kl9boka.jpg

Thank you DW. You were one of the first people to help me on my quest :)

Great comparison and review mate! Hopefully I'll get one soon enough. :) Enjoy both of them, especially gen. :)

Your day will come my friend, and i am looking forward to that :)

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks buddy, it definitely will. Hopefully exelonman moves to EU so it will be a lot easier. :lol:

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Thanks buddy, it definitely will. Hopefully exelonman moves to EU so it will be a lot easier. :lol:
You can always ask him to send it dismantled. To be put back together. The jewelers here in Europe seem to attach a high premium to this watch. But I still think when Bond fever dies down the price will stabalise until the next Bond movie. It seemed prices went up by at least 25% during and after the Spectre release. I could be wrong but I do think it had an influence.

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
Good comparison with the 2531.80. It's such a classic piece! Of course when it comes to Omega, you can't beat a gen. With the applied markers and Omega logo along with the red Seamaster on the dial, your rep is indeed based on the gen of the Omega SMP 2220.80 Here is my gen 2220.80 that your rep is based on... I love it. It's my daily wearer but I've been giving it a rest now occasionally since getting the Spectre 300 rep. Because of the coaxial movement, the case is slightly thicker on the 2220.80 than on the 2531.80.. But its bearable and doesn't really stick out and not as thick as how the cases are on the current 8500 coaxials...

23842158765_ecd1d6d3d6_c.jpg