• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

$95 SMP 300 Diver Review

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Just thought I might compile some of my musings on this watch that I picked up on Aliexpress. There seems not to be much availability from TDs so I took a chance on this one. It seems to have gained some attention on the Aliexpress thread so I thought I would share it here.

Review:

I have not tried on the Gen for a while. Still looking for one. I rejected one in a jewelers over a month ago as they were asking too much for it. I am going by my faulty memory lol. The Gen was not sized for my wrist (7.75 inch) so I cannot vouch for the snugness of the feel, but the rep. feels very good, very comfortable. It is possible that the rep. is a little heavier than the Gen, but that is based on memory. However is not uncomfortably heavy. The bracelet quality is really good and not sharp like some other watches I have from Ali.

If you put this one side by side to a gen it would stick out a mile, especially if magnified. However I know few people who wear them let alone know what it is. So who would call me out really, and if they did I would have no problem letting them know it was a rep. (I am kind of proud of my little find lol). It is not a perfect copy but is really passable. Sold as a 2531.80 but the dial is a copy of the 2220.80 with a 2531.80 case back.

HeV seems to be slightly above the 10 but not as high as Gen.

The movement is definitely automatic with a hack function. No idea which one,seller just said Asian movement, when asked. Second hand has a smooth movement. I would suggest in a very non scientific way that it gains about a minute every 4 days.

Lume application is nice and deep but batons look cheap on close inspection, as this is nowhere as refined as the gen. I have seen photos of gen lume shots and there is no comparison. Especially since the gen. markers are directly applied with no surrounds. The lume on this would not blind you lol.

Crown guards are less rounded than the Gen and the crown is not as flush to the guards as in the gen.

Caseback is a 2531.80 not a 2220.80 so a mismatch there. Small Seahorse logo compared to some Gens.

The dial on the gen has a lot richer texture. Also the Omega logo is slightly crooked on close inspection. Happy feet on the logo. I believe the 2531s had happy feet but the 2220 did not. I do not know this for certain as Omega played around with this so much.

Unidirectional Bezel. Bezel insert is a deeper blue on this rep. compared to gen,

Hands look stubbier on the rep. and the lollipop on the sec. hand seems way too big.

Correct engraving on the clasp: Omega Seamaster Professional. Clasp is perfect and lines up flush with the bracelet. No cheap feel about it at all. Divers extension works perfectly but is a little stiff.
Edit. I have since got the gen bracelet. This rep is great but much lighter and tinny compared to the real deal. The real bracelet feels like you are wearing metal silk. The real bracelet is much heavier also.

No complaints about the rep bracelet. Really comfortable and looks brilliant after a sonic wash.

Crown and HeV work appropriately, and it waterproofed without a problem. The crown probably sits a little higher on the Gen. HeV has Omega signature rather than H-e symbolm which is correct for a 2531.

Almost forgot the real tell: Pearl alignment. Yes you guessed it......................................not centred. But not too far off either.

However I really love wearing this. It is nowhere near as beautiful as my LMPO but I somehow prefer wearing it. It does not look like I only paid $95 for it. But it probably would not look like I paid 3k for it lol. It is just not refined enough on close inspection. There just seems to be no reasonable reps. out there so why pay over the odds for one. The only choice I see is something like this or the real deal. If anyone has the fabled Closed Factory version, I would love you to post a photo of it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thanks for the review. I think I had one like this before.

You do need to work on you photo skills though. :spank: :lol:

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
Great review thanks! Nice to see separate thread. That Ali watch thread is getting BUSY.
That watch is not my style but decent quality at that price makes it tempting.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Thanks for the review. I think I had one like this before.

You do need to work on you photo skills though. :spank: :lol:

Lol Photography was never my forte.
If I borrowed my wife's proper camera I might have stood a chance. Then again I don't let her borrow my watches :)

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
It looks good on your wrist.
I have seen the gen for as low as 2k$.
Enjoy this rep until you find your gen!

Thank you my friend. Seamasters look good on you also.

processengr

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/15
Thank you! Nice reveiw! I think the the same 1-2% of people who would identify that the watch is a rep would also spot the $250+ version as a rep...

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
I have the gen of this which is just really solid and is a beauty. It is perhaps my daily wearer.. Got it back in 2012. A pity Omega has stopped producing it.

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Nice mate! Looks pretty decent, I agree it does look good on the wrist! Wonder if you could swap the bezel insert out?? Hmm..

But the gens of these are nice. I've had my eye on a few. But, then I loose that thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I have the gen of this which is just really solid and is a beauty. It is perhaps my daily wearer.. Got it back in 2012. A pity Omega has stopped producing it.
+1 on that. We are now limited to the used gen market, I guess my learning here will help me to spot fakes. There are surprisingly a lot of them on reputable sites like E-bay.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Nice mate! Looks pretty decent, I agree it does look good on the wrist! Wonder if you could swap the bezel insert out?? Hmm..

But the gens of these are nice. I've had my eye on a few. But, then I loose that thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have considered a gen dial and bezel for it, but hardly worth the effort because of the obvious HeV positioning.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

Offy

Horology Curious
6/12/15
Only $95 and you love wearing it? Seems like an great buy to me!

ethanbt

19/8/15
Thank you for this review, I do like the SMP 300.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Thanks again everyone for the feedback