• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Omega Ceramic SMP 300M Diver

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Hello RWI omega lovers! I will try to give a small review of the new CrSMP 300M chrono. I haven’t hold the gen in my hands so the comparison will be from the pics I have seen.

Two reasons I got this one, because I haven’t bought a new piece for a long time and because I haven’t see many of them around and from the pics it looked pretty good to me so I wanted to give it a check.

I think this is an underrated rep. The feel is very good and there are just little flaws.

Lets begin.

Dial looks good. Omega symbol and lettering are very good, almost perfect. It has a shiny effect, resembling the gen dial. Hands seems very good, nothing to complain about.

AR is very nice. Blue effect at certain angles but I am not sure if that is from the AR or the shiny blue dial.

Lume dots are nice, they look to be round in the edges when gen ones look flat, but at certain angles. Really weird. Lume effect is nice but I have seen betters.

Date window is also nice and the datewheel which I though from other pics that was off, it is also well made. Thick font and shiny effect also for the datewheel, I really like it.

The bezel looks a little bit of. The engravement looks more deep than the gen and the color isn’t the same. The pearl is better than the pearls we have seen all these years. There a small glass on top of it, like the gen! I think in the next models it will be identical to the gen…

A big plus for this model is HE valve position and crown guards. That was a major problem with the smp’s after the closed factory model became discontinued. Problem solved now. Crown needs around 7 full turns to screw in.

Bracelet is very good. Latest omega models have amazing bracelets. Sizing it is a piece of cake and the feel on the wrist is amazing. The clasp is very tight and there are no gabs between the case and end links. Engravement is deep and nicely finished.

The caseback has some differences as I noticed but what the heck, who will see it? Anti counterfeit globe is there and of course serial is spot on!

Movement works like a charm. I barely can hear the rotor spinning and keeps very good time. Reclaimed ETA2824.

Over all impression is that this is a very good rep! Does it worth the 300$+? Hmmm….

And now to the shots! I will post more in the coming days, macro ones to show you as much details as I can.

And here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiCGjQnsIbg&feature=youtu.be

You can see a few macro shots on page 3

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Thank you! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk

Great watch! Buuuut I still think it's overpriced. No, not overpriced, I just can't afford it now :D. If it was $70 less, but with Asian movt, I'd buy it! Will look to older SMP models, but can't find any good non-chrono version. But thanks for review! Lume looks good to me. Gongrats on a great watch mate!

hado67

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/11
Thats nice! I really like this watch. Thinking of getting the black one. Love that bracelet!! Nice pics Mr.Pap:drool:

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Nice review and great pics - can we see a few wristies please

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Great review Pap, just enough info and point of views are spot on with the important design elements in question.

Man I can't speak for the feel on those new bracelets but the look via photos is bang on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Suggested fix for the bezel insert: Lume it. With the deeper engraving and proper binder it should hold up very well. Nothing wrong with a good lume job on the insert as it can easily be explained away as wanting to reflect the bezel of the Ploprof...

omega_seamaster_ploprof_1200_lume.jpg

Would look better IMHO. :)

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Thanks Pap for taking time to make this! Very informative.

MBevans

Known Member
20/12/12
Looks like they have stepped it up on making this model much more accurate, which is very nice! Bezel & pearl are a marked improvement as well as the engraving. I love the bracelet... A large step closer to the GEN.

surf

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/8/12
Hey Pap great review as you and the other Omega Guru's know the SMP is one of the most popular watches in the world for a reason. I have a quick observation/question and the reason I have not bought this model long ago.

"The bezel looks a little bit of. The engravement looks more deep than the gen and the color isn’t the same. The pearl is better than the pearls we have seen all these years. There a small glass on top of it, like the gen! I think in the next models it will be identical to the gen…"

The Gen is not engraved is it??? I may be totally wrong, but I though this model had a LMPO type bezel.

This has always been my biggest concern with the Rep. At least you had the balls to buy it to add value for Omega lovers.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/my-new-smp-ceramic-679612.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51sW59tyYc

On another note for those that love Omega. The Noob CrPO is one of the best ever made, and makes the new Tudor look like a POS. I own both. Just sayin.....

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Thank you! Thank you!

Great watch! Buuuut I still think it's overpriced. No, not overpriced, I just can't afford it now :D. If it was $70 less, but with Asian movt, I'd buy it! Will look to older SMP models, but can't find any good non-chrono version. But thanks for review! Lume looks good to me. Gongrats on a great watch mate!

If it was a little less expensive this would be a must have piece for any omega fan! Anyway i really like this one!

Thats nice! I really like this watch. Thinking of getting the black one. Love that bracelet!! Nice pics Mr.Pap:drool:

Bracelet is very nice and comfortable! Like the CrPO one.

Nice review and great pics - can we see a few wristies please

Thank you buddy! Will post more pics today when i get back from work!

Great review Pap, just enough info and point of views are spot on with the important design elements in question.

Man I can't speak for the feel on those new bracelets but the look via photos is bang on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks my friend! Bracelet, once more, is amazing. Especially when you compare it to UPO/PO ones...

Who is your TD Mr. Pap?

Watch came from MarvellousReplica. Great guy he is!

Suggested fix for the bezel insert: Lume it. With the deeper engraving and proper binder it should hold up very well. Nothing wrong with a good lume job on the insert as it can easily be explained away as wanting to reflect the bezel of the Ploprof...

omega_seamaster_ploprof_1200_lume.jpg

Would look better IMHO. :)

I think i will stay as is with this one. Yeap i am not sick, no modding on this one...

Thanks Pap for taking time to make this! Very informative.

Thank you buddy, always my pleasure!

Hey Pap great review as you and the other Omega Guru's know the SMP is one of the most popular watches in the world for a reason. I have a quick observation/question and the reason I have not bought this model long ago.

"The bezel looks a little bit of. The engravement looks more deep than the gen and the color isn’t the same. The pearl is better than the pearls we have seen all these years. There a small glass on top of it, like the gen! I think in the next models it will be identical to the gen…"

The Gen is not engraved is it??? I may be totally wrong, but I though this model had a LMPO type bezel.

This has always been my biggest concern with the Rep. At least you had the balls to buy it to add value for Omega lovers.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/my-new-smp-ceramic-679612.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51sW59tyYc

On another note for those that love Omega. The Noob CrPO is one of the best ever made, and makes the new Tudor look like a POS. I own both. Just sayin.....

I think the gen bezel is just printed on this one, not laser etched... I have seen some close up photos though that i can see its laser etched but not as deep as the rep one. At least thats what i have read. Thats why isnt so close with the rep.
There is a thread here about the issue http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/help-seamaster-ceramic-bezel-issue-771858.html

I have to agree though that the Noob CrPO is top notch, if it wasnt the open case back it would be the best...

D

d4m.test

Great review! I tried ordering this before CNY but was a bit late. I've been drooling over this since I bought a buddy the 50th 007 Anniversary model last spring. The construction seems identical, except that the 50th had an Asian 2892 movement. Case thickness seems identical though according to the cartel website. Any idea why they made certain movement choices?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 2

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Great review! I tried ordering this before CNY but was a bit late. I've been drooling over this since I bought a buddy the 50th 007 Anniversary model last spring. The construction seems identical, except that the 50th had an Asian 2892 movement. Case thickness seems identical though according to the cartel website. Any idea why they made certain movement choices?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 2

Can you please give me the link to 50th anniversary with Asian movt? Thank you!

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
Great review! Is the rep thicker than the gen, due to movement choice?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
You did a fantastic job with this review! Thank you!!!!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Great review! Is the rep thicker than the gen, due to movement choice?

Rep is 14mm while gen should be around 12.5mm.

You did a fantastic job with this review! Thank you!!!!

Many thanks my friend!

Its really hard to make a comparison when you dotn have the gen in hands but i tried to give you a good idea of what you can expect with this one.

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Rep is 14mm while gen should be around 12.5mm.

Many thanks my friend!

Its really hard to make a comparison when you dotn have the gen in hands but i tried to give you a good idea of what you can expect with this one.

You made a great comparison even without owning a gen!

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
That bracelet looks really good. Wish they had the bezel color right. I would buy one for sure.
Thank you Mr Pap for these great pictures.