• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CERAMIC INSERT REMOVAL GUIDE.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
EDIT:

I will soon offer specially designed insert bezel dies for sale. If anyone is interested please shoot me a PM.

Just want to give you guys a guide how to safely, cheap and easy remove ceramic inserts from the bezels. This is for the inserts that were friction fitted but might also be good for those glued ones.

This is definitely much safer than using caseback knife or some other magic tricks I saw people use and also this is similar way Rolex remove inserts and also install them. (It's just not as fancy as system they use (and approximately 15k$ cheaper) :D

First you need to have correct diameter plastic dies. You can use the ones that come from a cheap crystal press.

Using a Dremel remove the inside diameter of the bezel die just so that it can hold the bezel but will have enough space to alow insert to "fall down"

Second die is a standard straight wall I believe #32 die that goes inside the bezel and presses insert from the bottom.

Simply use hand to squeeze the insert out. That simple. You can use rack press to do it but I found the rep inserts come out easily with just the hand press.

To install insert place the bezel on something flat. Lay the insert on the bezel aligned on all sides. And use prefabricated die to press it in.

I used Dremel tool to remove a notch in the die to allow clearance for the Pearl. And also removed a bit material of the inside wall of the die to have similar angle as the insert. This way it presses even on all sides and on the whole insert.

Maybe description is not the best but I bet pictures speak for themselves.

Hope this help some of you, and also save some broken inserts.

Pics:

Edit:

I'm now able to produce custom dies. Please PM me for more info:

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very nice bro. Looks like it took some pretty precise tooling on those dies, you did that freehand? This is a great set of dies to have.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice work, great solution! I’ve been looking for more makeshift lathe uses for my Dremel and Workstation stand, since I used it to reduce the diameter of a dial. This is the perfect little project. Cheers!

Reactions: Oascom

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Great tips thank you!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Good lord! If there was any member that I would be continuously impressed with - would be you oascom! You sir, are a RWI treasure!

Thanks for this guide mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Good lord! If there was any member that I would be continuously impressed with - would be you oascom! You sir, are a RWI treasure!

Thanks for this guide mate!

Thank you mate appreciate it ! I definitely took more from here than gave away! Great community and awesome members !

Rolliefanatic

13/3/14
Thanks for the guide! It’s very helpful

Do you have also a guide showing how to remove the bezel from a 116610?
I tried in many ways but I didn’t do it yet.

Or maybe you can suggest me a tool to buy for do it.

Thanks!

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Nice. Would appreciate if you could make a tutorial on installing a gen crystal on a sub especially the zzf ????????

Reactions: Rolliefanatic

toto1989

Looking Around
14/4/16
St. Louis, Missouri USA
Rolex dies and how they do it:

I've been a professional horologist for the past 32 years. I am so impressed with your bezel insert and removal method.

I learned the hard way that the new ceramic bezel inserts are very different from the old metal inserts. I am very grateful for your help. I have all the required dies, etc. Now I just have to put them together. I use a cordless Dremel as well. When I started, we used flex shafts. Jewelers still use those things. I get more freedom of movement with a Dremel.

Anyway, thank you again for taking your time to put this lesson together. If you'd like to see what I do, Google "Ursch Clock Repair".

Best regards,
Timothy Ursch

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I've been a professional horologist for the past 32 years. I am so impressed with your bezel insert and removal method.

I learned the hard way that the new ceramic bezel inserts are very different from the old metal inserts. I am very grateful for your help. I have all the required dies, etc. Now I just have to put them together. I use a cordless Dremel as well. When I started, we used flex shafts. Jewelers still use those things. I get more freedom of movement with a Dremel.

Anyway, thank you again for taking your time to put this lesson together. If you'd like to see what I do, Google "Ursch Clock Repair".

Best regards,
Timothy Ursch

Glad I could help :)

Reactions: KJ2020

KalKala

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/11/18
Excellent tutorial, thanks!
What method are you using to remove the bezel? That would be another interesting subject too...
Cheers

Reactions: Oascom