• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Diver

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
b53e900075f2e2913d34ad16f126207f.jpg

I like to dive with my divers, sorry :)
Usually I prefer to do it with reps due the lower cost in case of damage

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I go to the pool as well..just not with a ROO this was the point I was trying to make. Or a daytona. Despite passing all the WP test with flying colors

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Do you go swimming with your Nike Jordans or any shoe thats not designed for water. I understand the part of wanting a watch to be used in water as they should be able to. Same with Jordans they can go in the pool and ocean. Especially with all the rocks and sharp things in the water, its important to wear something useful to protect your feet. But you dont wear them because of you needed feet protection you buy water shoes which are designed for that. These reps are really designed as bracelets that tell time, even gen watches I wouldn’t trust too much in water because a small mistake by you or a watchsmith and you just got a nice repair bill. Most people who need a watch for the Ocean or Pool get one that its either Gshock type or diver like a seiko that you pay $200 and dont care if they get destroyed. Again I seen people here take their reps in the water with no issues but is it a risk you are willing to take? So if the answer is yes get that bitch waterproofed and you should be fine, but just have it in the back of your head if it leaks have funds ready to get it fixed. Just because it may be designed to do something doesnt mean you should do it. Range Rovers are designed to go offroad but if you choose to you may damage few parts.

Just do what I do wear that watch and enjoy it. When you want to get into the pool and ocean take it off and if you need to check the time just get out and pick up the watch and see the time. So simple and you wont get water damage. Or if I really need to have a watch in water I wear one of the ones I dont mind damaging like Suunto, Casio, Seiko, Steinhart, etc. my reps stay dry.

Well said.

I follow a simple principle of reward vs risk when deciding not to wear luxury watches (or reps of one) into the water when I do the occasional scuba dive. Let’s take a scuba dive at sea for example:

Rewards
- I get to admire my watch underwater
- the fishes, corals and crustaceans all get to admire my watch and think how awesome I am.

Risks
- constant water pressure leading to water ingression
- scratches against corals and sediments in the water
- corrosion damage caused by the salts and minerals in the water
- if I’m ever eaten by a shark it would be a potentially very expensive meal for it, plus a potential treasure find for someone cutting up the shark later and finding the watch.
- dive trip joy being destroyed by any of the above.

Alternatives:
- wearing a cheap but reliable dive watch
- not wearing a watch if it’s a dive with a trustworthy buddy and he wears one
- Wearing a rep (as opposed to a gen)

So yes, your choice would depend on how much worth you place on each reward and risk and how accessible the alternatives are and how much you are predisposed toward them. For me, it is preferable that the fishes I encounter think I’m a vanilla and poor-assed diver than me actually becoming poor-assed from having to repair the water damage and spoiling the trip. Waterproofing a watch and getting a pressuretest done successfully is not equal to diving for say 20min at a 30m depth. The density of seawater is also about 3% more than freshwater per cubic centimeter. Though this would not cause much difference at shallow depths, it makes enough difference at 30, or even 20m to see the difference between an O-ring in good condition and one which isn’t.

At the end of the day, to each his own. Those who wear watches to the water will continue to do so and those who don’t, will not start to do so.
I think it’s more important to be aware of the risks involved and what the risks are taken for.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Some people take off their 300m dive watches off when they go in the water some don't.

Cool, to each their own. I take off my watch as well as any other form of jewellery in the pool but mainly because my kids are bigger scratch magnets than any watch LOL. I don’t dive but do snorkel and my go to is my trusty G shock (takes a licking but keeps on ticking).

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Some people take off their 300m dive watches off when they go in the water some don't.

Its like everything else in life t3steve
Different ways of getting things done, no right or wrong, merely individual choices.
I appreciate the varieties more than the similarities in life, it helps us learn better.
Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Allure and g00n

g00n

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Was having no luck on WTB so finally bit the bullet and ordered one via our awesome TDs:)

g00n

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
zoyH6o.jpg

On the way, really looking forward to this one:)

Reactions: flashu

g00n

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Still waiting and counting the days 😂
Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero
Got notification nearly here. Really looking forward to this one, expect pic spamming in the near future 😂

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Legend,
Thank you for the all the knowledge and information you provide, I bought the ZF diver on your recommendation.

Stephen
Hello Stephen

You’re very welcome. Just something anecdotal to share here:

My fellow gen AP collector friend owns the gen 15703 H series diver and recently purchased the ZF diver to try it out. He sold the gen a week after receiving the ZF diver even after I pointed out the minute differences including the slow date change and other tiny tells to him. He thought it did not matter to him and was amazed at this brand new world reps have to offer.

My point is that a lot of the differences we know about between gens and reps are academic and applies to discussions in the forums. In real life, the wearers will know that their watches are reps but hardly anyone else does/care. Carry yourself like an AP owner and you are one. The watch you wear is an accessory to that attitude but always remember the attitude and bearing of the wearer form the first line perception when it comes to gen/rep assessment, and the watch details come later.

apam212

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Thanks Legend. I have just purchased the ZF 15703 too. Compare to the JF, ZF finish is much better. The dial has more pop and wet effect and feel closer to gen. Another plus point is ZF is perfectly match with gen strap. JF has bigger gap between case and strap.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks Legend. I have just purchased the ZF 15703 too. Compare to the JF, ZF finish is much better. The dial has more pop and wet effect and feel closer to gen. Another plus point is ZF is perfectly match with gen strap. JF has bigger gap between case and strap.
Please enjoy your watch, good points!

Reactions: Allure