• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RGRC Franken Build including self Gold Plating

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Hello Community,

some may already have read that I want to build a RGRC Franken.

I would like to document the building with text and pictures and also to report about problems / difficulties that will arise.

I would also like to write something about the costs, as lately some users have written to me and have made offers for my Franken.
It is sometimes offensive what some people do for offers, as they do not seem to have much knowledge about what a good Franken construction costs in total. not to mention how much time you invest in such a project. That's why I'll list all costs accurately and present them honestly.

phase 1 has begun to find and buy parts for the Franken.

Parts already bought:

- Gen new AP RGRC Dial and Tachy including Back Plate
1.900 € -> Contact from Chrono24

- Gen new Full Set of Hands (not arrived yet)
1.000 € -> Contact from Chrono24

- JF Base Watch RGRC
480 € -> Intime (was hard to get, the older 42mm ROO’s are out of Production from the Factory, I contacted 6 TD’s only Ryan got the Watch after 3 months)

- Gen AP ROO Cyclope
140 € -> Contact from Domi

- 1 x AR Glass 2,5mm thick
100 € -> Contact from Domi

- Legend Datewheel
I think it’s around 85 USD

Still missing:

- LWO Movement

A big challenge with an RG Franken build is the RG Coating (Chinese Gold Plating). The color is ok but when Domi thinned the Case at the middle Case and Case Back you will see the normal Stainless Steel material.

Three Options:

1- PVD Coating
2- Gold Plating with 18 Carat Roségold
3- Gen 18 Carat Roségold Case and Case Back

1- PVD Coating looks nice in Roségold but I called some professional PVD Factory’s in Germany and Switzerland.
All companies have advised against don’t using it with parts that are worn. like crown and case back.
the rose gold PVD layer is not as abrasion resistant as black PVD.

2- Gold Plating looks also nice, you have options to mix the Color you like to have.
It’s important to Plating first a normal Gold Plating in Yellow Gold mixed with cobalt. Cobalt is very hard an give you a very Hard Coating.

After the normal Gold Plating next Step is Plating in Roségold also mixed with Cobalt.

Some jewelers offer this work for around 400-600 €.
I read about gilding for weeks and saw a lot of videos and decided to buy a complete system myself.
- cost of the facility plus gold electrolytes
1.200 €
Will arrive next week on Tuesday

then I will practice in practice and gild some things in the house. Lol
And also practice with old Watch Cases, to get the exact shade and color.

3- Gen RG Case and Caseback , too expensive for me :(

It’s also important to Plating all RG Roségold Parts to have the same Color:

- Middle Case
- Back Case
- Hour and Minute Hands
- Plots
- Deployment Clasp
- Crown

First Pictures will coming soon from Domis Case Work and first Plating try’s.

Base Watch JF:

fe28cbf4c2d20f137aa1abcf9a180037.jpg

Gen Dial and Tachy:

4ed22d72fa3cf9004158774bacbbbba4.jpg

2fbc26047af6e0a48429030fd1f7a288.jpg

Legend Datewheel:
741a3bb18cf4343975c099a530f1c7a5.jpg

Gold Plating System:

02d5dff133d5e1a328e267bbfcdbac0c.jpg

Some examples for Roségold shades:

7aee3fdb8462f65077cdfd5f7d41c984.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

fauxgo

Horology Curious
3/12/17
Great project, i look forward to seeing more photos of your gold plating experiments. Best of luck

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is a lovely build and looking very impressive indeed. Congrats and looking forward to the pics. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Subbed. Can’t wait to see this.

Reactions: MrBeasy

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
I love that you went and got your own gold electroplating system. That is true dedication. Good luck with the build, exciting project, watching with interest!

I hope it will not be a mistake, but I'm such a psycho about perfection and I'll try it until it's perfect for me. Lol

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
The right one is Roségold like the Gen from my friend. The left one from the rwg user but again it depends on lighting and Picture.

255d93fad16f551cd09d53296a458149.jpg

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Also looking forward to following this build. I like the fact that you are going with the first version of the RGRC - I much prefer the sub dials that don't have the gold rings.

I recently picked up an early noob RGRC (at least I believe it is) on a whim that I wasn't expecting to like much as I'm not usually interested in anything gold. However when it arrived it grew on me immediately - the combination and contrast of all of the colors (obviously a rep dial is not the true grey) really work together.

edited-image_9.png

Good luck with your project & plating education!

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
I hope it will not be a mistake, but I'm such a psycho about perfection and I'll try it until it's perfect for me. Lol

Next level dedication, amazing ! You’re going to have to get another cabinet soon, building a franken every month ;-)

Reactions: flying-tommy

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Also looking forward to following this build. I like the fact that you are going with the first version of the RGRC - I much prefer the sub dials that don't have the gold rings.

I recently picked up an early noob RGRC (at least I believe it is) on a whim that I wasn't expecting to like much as I'm not usually interested in anything gold. However when it arrived it grew on me immediately - the combination and contrast of all of the colors (obviously a rep dial is not the true grey) really work together.

edited-image_9.png

Good luck with your project & plating education!

I also like the first RGRC Version much more, the grey is a very light grey and matched the Tachy and the Roségold Case so nice. The color combination is just perfect for me.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Next level dedication, amazing ! You’re going to have to get another cabinet soon, building a franken every month ;-)

Thank you very much, I’m very excited for the first plating try’s.

For some time I’m thinking about to sell all Reps and Franken and go Gen but I really love and enjoy the Projects, also with my friend Domi.
It's a great distraction from work and everyday life.

Reactions: Natas78 and Jurgenk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I also like the first RGRC Version much more, the grey is a very light grey and matched the Tachy and the Roségold Case so nice. The color combination is just perfect for me.

The gen AP gold color is a hue of beauty which no rep can match. I’ve posted this before, my gen on the right
e1197be17d5a7808aa9c197746f6c391.jpg

As seen the tone of the gold is lighter and a little more pinkish and it’s more subtle. I know you’ve already got your friend’s gen to take reference to but this side by side shows the vast difference in the color tone between the rep and the gen gold.

I for one am looking forward to the completion of the build especially the final case plating color you’ve chosen.
The gold will go very well with the grey dial for sure.
Also congrats once again on getting gen hands, they are a must for any AP franken, visually speaking. You will understand this crucial point once the watch is completed and each time you glance at the dial. The beauty of the gen hands is inimitable.
I’ve subscribed to your post. Good luck mate. :)

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Hi guys,

very nice project, i wish you the best!

Recently i'm doing a small search with the help of a friend goldsmith, to make my watch hands like the gen was.
I was searching for a photo to help me tell you that the gen AP above, looks like a 14K gold plating with a tiny (less than 5%) touch of copper.

I found the photo below that drove me in a very useful article about colorization.

14k_yellow_14k_rose_copper-1_large.jpg

https://aidememoirejewelry.com/blogs/news/9990809-metal-alloys

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi guys,

very nice project, i wish you the best!

Recently i'm doing a small search with the help of a friend goldsmith, to make my watch hands like the gen was.
I was searching for a photo to help me tell you that the gen AP above, looks like a 14K gold plating with a tiny (less than 5%) touch of copper.

I found the photo below that drove me in a very useful article about colorization.

14k_yellow_14k_rose_copper-1_large.jpg

https://aidememoirejewelry.com/blogs/news/9990809-metal-alloys

Thank you for the article!
The gen AP rose gold is 18k, and it does look like the 14k rose gold color shown in your pic, color wise. The color of the metal of course depends on the composition of the metal used in the alloy. From your pic the 14k color does look quite accurate, and definitely a lot more accurate and better than the rep gold plating color. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Allure

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
The gen AP gold color is a hue of beauty which no rep can match. I’ve posted this before, my gen on the right
e1197be17d5a7808aa9c197746f6c391.jpg

As seen the tone of the gold is lighter and a little more pinkish and it’s more subtle. I know you’ve already got your friend’s gen to take reference to but this side by side shows the vast difference in the color tone between the rep and the gen gold.

I for one am looking forward to the completion of the build especially the final case plating color you’ve chosen.
The gold will go very well with the grey dial for sure.
Also congrats once again on getting gen hands, they are a must for any AP franken, visually speaking. You will understand this crucial point once the watch is completed and each time you glance at the dial. The beauty of the gen hands is inimitable.
I’ve subscribed to your post. Good luck mate. :)

Thanks for sharing this Picture, this shows very well the difference between Gen and Rep for the Color.

The Gen is so beautiful Roségold not with this yellow effect like the Rep.

I ordered a finish mixed 18 Carat Roségold and a Roségold Mixer you can create your own Roségold color like I showed in my Picture above.

It’s important for the tests with a Test object to choose an Material with a finish like the AP Case.
Because when I take a polished SS Material the look will be different to a brushed SS Material.

I will document the different Steps from Roségold and happy if Legend could also recommend the right color which I choose for my case.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Here you also can see the Difference from my Rep Case to Legend’s Gen.

The Rep is more yellow Gold and darker, the Gen has a nice light Roségold Color.

06e64215298f1dbbb8d85ae7321052a6.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for sharing this Picture, this shows very well the difference between Gen and Rep for the Color.

The Gen is so beautiful Roségold not with this yellow effect like the Rep.

I ordered a finish mixed 18 Carat Roségold and a Roségold Mixer you can create your own Roségold color like I showed in my Picture above.

It’s important for the tests with a Test object to choose an Material with a finish like the AP Case.
Because when I take a polished SS Material the look will be different to a brushed SS Material.

I will document the different Steps from Roségold and happy if Legend could also recommend the right color which I choose for my case.

I’ll be happy to help you anytime T.

Reactions: Allure and Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
If I had the same electroplating setup as you, it would take an incredible amount of restraint not to rosegold plate everything in sight, all in the name of “research.” ;)

it would be a shame to see you go all gen, you’re taking this Franken game to a new level.