• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silencing the Miyota rotor on AP JF 15400

rypho1

8/7/16
Ok.... after taking and combining lots of helpful tips from various users on here (Thankyou) i have finally managed to shut that annoying rotor up on my jf 15400, so thought i would share what worked for me a complete newbie getting into this game and put it all in one place. Its not a complete guide but took pics on the important bits so hopefully anyone can do it..but remember i took the risk on MY OWN watch so follow the next steps at your own risk and any pros out there let me know if anything needs updating : Lets get started

First off....... the tools and what i used:

20160805_195812.jpg

• Moebius watch oil (d5) for the bearings as i understand d5 has the right thickness
  • slotted screw driver set mine has the following widths in the set 0.80 mm, 1.00 mm, 1.20 mm, 1.40 mm, 1.60 mm
  • 1 tweezers / magnetic tip screw driver for those stupidly tiny screws once you get inside
  • Cocktail sticks/toothpick for holding rotor steady and using it to drop oil (more on that later)
  • small sponge to dab up any excess oil (novelty pink one not required) ;)
  • cling film to cover screws while loosening and tightening so you dont slip and scratch case or screws with screw driver ( it worked for me a newbie not 1 scratch!)

*ps: no need to take straps off the watch im waiting for custom ones to replace crappy rep leather ones so thats why mine are off*

on to the process:

1)I Pulled out the crown to hack the movement so its not ticking away while i work
2) unscrewed all the back screws using the clingfilm trick between the screwdriver and screws to stop scratching
3) once all screws are out used the cocktail stick to wedge and lift off back cover
4) undid the 2 screws either side of the purple jewel below to remove cover to the real Miyota rotor underneath the decorated cover (used a magnet tip as these screws are TINY! and used the cocktail stick to keep rotor still)

20160805_231905%25202.jpg

5) once removed there is a further 3 screws underneath which i believe once undone remove the rotor and you can access the ball bearings race.

As i couldn't face removing 3 more tiny screws and after hearing some people on here removed the rotor and were unable to put it back on i instead dipped the cocktail stick in a tiny bit of oil and dropped a small drop in this gap and hoped it would run into the bearing race see below

adc3c8f1-189c-4d96-9f50-4ccac4640f96.jpg

20160805_193713.jpg

6) after dropping a tiny bit of oil using 1 stick i used a dry cocktail stick to turn the rotor round at pace to spread the oil into the race lubing the bearings and a sponge to dab (kept applying very small amounts of oil until it was silent when i span the rotor.

20160805_193631.jpg

once silent enough when spun i put it all back together again magnet,clingfilm etc..... (dam those tiny screws good luck!!)
wiped the sweat from my forehead and pushed back in the crown... and guess what...

SILENCE!!!! rotor still turns and winds but no more wild free spinning...

Thats it! hope it helps whoever may need it and credit to the guys who mentioned most of this in other threads ive just put it all in together and added what worked for me...

cheers!!!!
:punk:

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Good one. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
I applaude your good intentions but if people actually follow this guide you may be leading them to more trouble...

Firstly d5 isn't the right oil, try using 9010. Using the wrong oil can lead to different results.. But that's just the tip of the iceberg..

Next, one shouldn't keep applying until it is silent. Over greasing any part in the movement can lead to disaster in the long run. Too much oil would cause it to flow into other parts of the watch which may not function properly after getting in contact with too much oil. As a guide, if you have to wonder if it's too much, it's too much oil.

Most importantly.. DO NOT use a magnetic screw driver or any object near your movement.. You would easily magnetize your movement and mess it up. Use proper screw drivers and tweezers.

I hope you aren't offended but I needed to come out to correct the post in case others follow it blindly.

Thanks for taking the effort nonetheless!

rypho1

8/7/16
No problem mate..not offended I've just taken a combination of what I've seen in different threads which people will search for and follow anyway (like I did) for example I've seen someone suggest 9010 but then change and say d5 was correct because it needed thickness... or even car oil would be sufficient as it's only for the bearings only. I've also heard people say silicone grease as seiko recommend.. lots of options just picked the one I heard most about through searching and was d5. I hear what you saying about magnet but it isn't strong at all and will only pick up the smallest of screws but probably good advise anyway :) I was fearing more dropping the small screws into the watch never to be found again so thought risk was worth taking...

And for the too much oil I used tiny tiny drops maybe 2 as I wasn't pouring directly into the race... spun rotor (sensible speed) for a while tested if oil had worked in and reapplyed if not... too little or oil not reaching bearings would be in effective and make the whole thing a waste of time.... I wanted results after getting this far... haha but take you point. What would be good if someone with knowledge and experience could replace this post with clear undisputed instructions so new people don't follow a mix mash of advice and damage their watch as you described...any takers???

I just posted what has worked for me I'm sure there are 100 different ways to achieve the same result (some more risky than others) and it's for the owner to decide if the noise is worth taking the risk on... for me it was and I'm very pleased with the result.. cheers for feed back :)

stofftier

25/12/12
Hey Guys thanks for this Thread, i will try it by my self after getting the Tools + oil thats needed. Does this work also with the JF ROO?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks for posting.

The hardest part of the job (for me) is unscrewing the caseback screws without marking them. It's like they're made of cheese! Even with plastic film, I always end up marking the bloody screws.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
The most important think is a 100% fitting screwdriver for the case back screws.

The right oil would be 9010, that's right, but a tiny drop of D5 is also very good to silent up the rotor. D5 is thicker than 9010 and that's make the rotor slower.
But just a tiny tiny drop.

Sent from my iPhone 6

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
The most important think is a 100% fitting screwdriver for the case back screws.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Could you suggest a screwdriver(s) for AP caseback screws please (eg make/model/size)?

I find that if the screwdriver blade width is perfect, then the blade length is too small - hence the screws get torsion marks when attempting to tighten. Thanks

rypho1

8/7/16
Could you suggest a screwdriver(s) for AP caseback screws please (eg make/model/size)?

I find that if the screwdriver blade width is perfect, then the blade length is too small - hence the screws get torsion marks when attempting to tighten. Thanks
[MENTION=44759]mech500[/MENTION]

this is what i bought and perfect variety to take straps/endlinks and bracelet links out with no scratch or threading screws as well as completing all the above! very happy with this set and come with replacement tips!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C5JWZFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rypho1

8/7/16
just to update: ive check my watch tonight just incase...... :p (not wearing it at mo waiting for straps) and its great its like how it should have arrived to me. the rotor spins sensibly now no wild spinning and looks like the oil has slowed it nicely, feels natural not like its stuck/sticking or anything at all just a more cushioned feel to it.

its spins then bounces and stops all the while SILENTLY! very pleased.... think you just have to be smart with the amount of oil used as mentioned before and your good to go!

but will keep an eye and update if i do encounter any issues :)

Evil

7/1/16
Just purchased some Moebius oil and a oil tipper thing. Now it's time to wait for delivery ;).

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Guys, PLEASE!! Forget that damn screw drivers from Amazon. It's more than ridiculous to think you can get a set of good tools for $10.
I thought we talk here about good tools. Here is what you need. The big one for all ROO models, and the small one for the RO's

fdbbc59978afe1a628125fb11351267e.jpg

We spend hundreds or thousands for our watches but we're too stingy for buying good tools?

Sent from my iPhone 6

Reactions: LeBron

rypho1

8/7/16
Guys, PLEASE!! Forget that damn screw drivers from Amazon. It's more than ridiculous to think you can get a set of good tools for $10.
I thought we talk here about good tools. Here is what you need. The big one for all ROO models, and the small one for the RO's

fdbbc59978afe1a628125fb11351267e.jpg

We spend hundreds or thousands for our watches but we're too stingy for buying good tools?

Sent from my iPhone 6
Hello mate

I know what you mean having owned crappy tools in the past.. but Im certainly no professional. so don't need to be spending big amounts on a set of screwdrivers I'm likely to only use once or twice... as I've said I can vouch for these "crappy" set being actually very good! Don't be led by the price these were superb for me with this set I found a perfect fit driver size for every screw where ever it was needed with zero threading or scratching or any damage to the drivers....even comes with replacement tips... these might not be top of the range but they did the jobs I needed with no issues.. and have no issues recommending. I don't plan to open a watch repair shop anytime soon so these will do me fine ;) and if they do break for some strange unknown reason I would have definitely got my £7 worth

Also not sure on the make, size or brand screwdriver that you posted so people who did want to go with some more pro ones won't know what they are.. cheers

rypho1

8/7/16
Just purchased some Moebius oil and a oil tipper thing. Now it's time to wait for delivery ;).
Nice - just remember to give the oil time to work in by rotating the rotor before adding more... just need a tiny drop - I'm guessing the less the better is the message here so far! Good luck ;)

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Hello mate

I know what you mean having owned crappy tools in the past.. but Im certainly no professional. so don't need to be spending big amounts on a set of screwdrivers I'm likely to only use once or twice... as I've said I can vouch for these "crappy" set being actually very good! Don't be led by the price these were superb for me with this set I found a perfect fit driver size for every screw where ever it was needed with zero threading or scratching or any damage to the drivers....even comes with replacement tips... these might not be top of the range but they did the jobs I needed with no issues.. and have no issues recommending. I don't plan to open a watch repair shop anytime soon so these will do me fine ;) and if they do break for some strange unknown reason I would have definitely got my £7 worth

Also not sure on the make, size or brand screwdriver that you posted so people who did want to go with some more pro ones won't know what they are.. cheers

I'm on Chris's side!. The difference between a properly shaped and hardened set of screwdrivers to the kind that wear rapidly (Which starts damaging the screw heads) and keep falling out of their holders makes it worthwhile to get a better set. Not that I'm suggesting the high end Bergeon ones that cost hundreds. My best is a set I found a couple of years ago that was about £30. Looking at Ebay now, there seem to be some good looking sets from a French seller at around £50-£60.
And I use very small amount of D5 as a rotor silencer.

rypho1

8/7/16
I'm on Chris's side!. The difference between a properly shaped and hardened set of screwdrivers to the kind that wear rapidly (Which starts damaging the screw heads) and keep falling out of their holders makes it worthwhile to get a better set. Not that I'm suggesting the high end Bergeon ones that cost hundreds. My best is a set I found a couple of years ago that was about £30. Looking at Ebay now, there seem to be some good looking sets from a French seller at around £50-£60.
And I use very small amount of D5 as a rotor silencer.

i agree if it was something i planned to use regularly and i owned lots of watches that i took apart often for various reasons.. then it would be wise to invest properly! im def a buy right buy once type of guy on a lot of things. But depends what you are doing and how often you do it which will determine the value.. be nice to have a £50-60 set of screwdrivers but the appeal lessens if they are going to sit in a draw 90% of the time...

but i get your points again its for owner to decide how much they want to pour into a £300 watch a the end of the day :)

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
i agree if it was something i planned to use regularly and i owned lots of watches that i took apart often for various reasons.. then it would be wise to invest properly! im def a buy right buy once type of guy on a lot of things. But depends what you are doing and how often you do it which will determine the value.. be nice to have a £50-60 set of screwdrivers but the appeal lessens if they are going to sit in a draw 90% of the time...

but i get your points again its for owner to decide how much they want to pour into a £300 watch a the end of the day :)

Ah, but you see, you've opened the case and started playing to make things just that little bit better. You're hooked! And you'll stay hooked like the rest of us...

Reactions: Jaz1 and dat231

rypho1

8/7/16
Ah, but you see, you've opened the case and started playing to make things just that little bit better. You're hooked! And you'll stay hooked like the rest of us...

hahaha! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! my wife will not be happy!