• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

An Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 'Jumbo' Extra-Thin 15202ST Comparison ( ZF VS XF VS GEN )

Representative Ryan

Horology Curious
25/11/21
Strange Island
The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 'Jumbo' Extra-Thin

Is Audemars Piguet's rendition of that sexy thin sports watch with an integrated bracelet. The main focus of the Royal Oak is the extremely attractive shape and case-bracelet finishing. The finishing on the Royal Oak bracelet is brushed vertically, and split with flashes of polished edges, in between and on the surface corners of the links, and the case as well.

Having had the fortunate opportunity of handling both of the best Replicas (and owning one), and also the latest variation of the genuine 15202ST. I have noted down some differences, from all that is major to all that is minor.

Now let's get to it. BAYYYYYYBEEEE

Case Shape

One of the most important things that HAS to be correct, is the case shape, and I must say that both factories have nailed it quite close to gen, but not exactly of course.

Front View

r/RepTime - The duel. An Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 'Jumbo' Extra-Thin 15202ST Comparison ( ZF VS XF VS GEN )

This is a genuine 15202ST

r/RepTime - The duel. An Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 'Jumbo' Extra-Thin 15202ST Comparison ( ZF VS XF VS GEN )

The XF 15202ST - image courtesy of Jtime (note wrong website URL)

This is the ZF 15202ST - image courtesy of Jtime

Now one notable slight difference is the angle of the polished edge on the octagonal bezel, in this case (lol) the ZF beats out the XF due to how much 'taller' that polished edge leading up to the brushed bezel surface is on the XF, the ZF is closer to gen when compared that way.

As we move to that said brushed surface, we note that the screws on both XF and ZF are way too big and slightly closer to the crystal then the Gen. With the XF being more accurate in its screw positioning.

Down to the base of the case, the bevel polished edge on the case is thin on the gen, and the ZF and XF both have a slightly thicker polished edge.

The angle of the lug section is good on both Reps, and are close to gen, but the ZF, looks slightly closer IMO. (note that this not a solid opinion, some people have differing views)

Side view

The Side view of the Gen 15202ST - not my picture

View from the side of the XF 15202ST

Side view of the ZF 15202ST

This part is not that important honestly, but there are some differences. The latest iteration of the Genuine Audemars Piguet 15202ST has its caseback made flush with the case, and with a case thickness of 8.1mm.

The XF 15202ST has a gap between the caseback and the case, and appears to begin immediately as a slanted polished piece, but is closer to the gen size of 8.1, at 8.5mm. From this view, you can also see the 'taller' bezel proportion as mentioned before.

The ZF 15202ST has a better caseback in most aspects, having the secondary brushed layer that the gen does have, even though its quite difficult to see from the photo that I picked (sorry). The caseback is also flush with the case.

The crown on both ZF and XF are pretty meh, but the ZF seems to be have more clear etching of the AP logo, just like the gen. But both aren't really as good as gen.

The lug section are good on both.

Dial

This is the big one. Essentially the hardest thing to replicate on any Royal Oak replica, second to only the movement. Or more specifically, the one thing no factory has gotten right as of yet. (April 2022)

The dial on the genuine Audemars Piguet Royal Oak is spectacular, there are some things that people cannot really comprehend through images of the watch, but only can understand up close.

The dial of the Royal Oak 'Jumbo' Ultra-Thin 15202ST is in a SUNBURST blue colour. I cannot emphasize this enough. It is a SUNBURST waffle dial (hoping the factories can see this). There really seems to be no good replica dial at all.

The Tapisserie on the Gen Dial is Magic

More obvious picture with the sunburst effect

The gen dial is obviously sunburst, what makes it really stunning is the sunburst against the tapisserie, it slightly sparkles in the light, changing from dark blue to light blue. Shit, the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 dial is closer to Gen than anything ZF or XF has made.

The XF Dial Colour is slightly wrong but has more sunburst than the ZF dial.

The XF AP logo - Note that these images may not be the latest version, the latest is more improved

ZF dial

Printed Logo, Hour Markers and Hands on the ZF dial

The AP logo on the dial of the ZF

The ZF and XF dial is a Pros and Cons situation, where each has its own good points and bad points. The ZF dial is closer in terms of overall colour to Gen, and its Tapisserie is pretty decent as well. Unfortunately, the ZF dial has a paint texture closer to a role of blue duct tape (matte glossy) then the sunburst dial on the Gen. The XF comes with basically the wrong shade of blue, its much darker then gen, but is actually very slightly sunburst, but also arrives with worse Tapisserie.

So at this point, its up to you to decide. Which do you prefer more? Personally I prefer the XF sunburst effect more to the accurate blue colour of the ZF.

Besides the dial colour and texture the hour markers on the ZF are filled with whiter lume than that on the XF, but this may have been fixed in the later versions of the XF dial, which are nearly impossible to find now that XF doesn't really produce many watches anymore.

The other notable tell is the god awful hand stack on the ZF dial. Call it whatever you want, Pizza, UFO, Frisbee, all that I know that is that its a straight tell.

The handstack on the gen actually has a cone - trapezium shape.

Datewheel on both are mostly the same, with the ZF having a more accurate shade of blue due to matching with its dial. Printing of logos and such are also mostly the same.

Bracelet

The bracelet on these 2 reps are highly controversial. Some say they prefer the XF bracelet, that its closer to gen and more comfortable, where some say they like the ZF bracelet more.

Well heres the deal. As much as the ZF bracelet is sharp and uncomfortable, it is actually closer to Gen in all aspects.

The Clasp Section of the Gen

The gen bracelet is actually not as good as many may perceive. The Gen does have sharp edges, and is not something that is comfortable straight out of the box, its more of something I had to get used to when wearing. Trust me, I was surprised as well.

Clasp on the XF - 'Dark' Section is inaccurate to Gen

Bracelet on the ZF

Clasp on the ZF is much more accurate to Gen

As you may be able to tell, the clasp has some glaring differences, notably the colour of the engraved 'Audemars Piguet' Logo on the wings of the butterfly clasp. This in addition to the logo finishing on the ZF being better. The XF Bracelet really stands no chance in terms of being close to gen. Both clasps share the same 'click' when closing the clasp.

The AP logo on the clasp is also more accurate to gen on the ZF than the XF.

Besides the Clasp Section, the ZF bracelet is finished more accurately to Gen, whereas the XF is made to be more comfortable with roughly the same grade of finishing, having a larger lug to link gap.

So if you are looking for comfort, go for the XF, but the ZF is definitely closer to the real thing.

Movement

This is a no brainer, ZF wins hands down. And as much as the TD's websites say its a clone 2121, it isn't. From what I know, a 2121 clone does exist, but these 2 reps use decorated Miyota 9015, or more like, decorated only for the ZF.

The ZF 15202ST's Miyota 9015 Decorated to be a Audemars Piguet Calibre 2121

XF's Idea of decoration (just a rotor)

Gen Audemars Piguet Calibre 2121

The ZF movement is decently decorated, and is hard to tell that its fake FROM AFAR. Up close, both movements are easy tells basically, but I do appreciate the pointless finishing on the decorative plates on the ZF.

Conclusion

Out of the box, the ZF is more accurate to gen, the bracelet and movement supersede the XF in terms of closeness to Gen, with the biggest flaw, being the handstack and the dial styling.

The XF has a better looking dial, but less accurate looking, due to its colour and weak tapisserie, but it has a slightly more comfortable bracelet that is further away from Gen.

Personally, I would buy a ZF and toss on an XF dial and hands. (or a gen dial, but unfortunately it costs more than me right now)

But again, its up to preference, let me know what you would do?

Last edited:

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
The ZF is thick, almost as thick as a 15450, which pretty much kills its chances of being considered the best 15202 rep IMO. Not to mention the bad hands. The XF has the right proportions, and decent looking hands out the box. Thinness is probably the 15202’s most distinguishing feature, and it wins in that aspect.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
The ZF is thick, almost as thick as a 15450, which pretty much kills its chances of being considered the best 15202 rep IMO. Not to mention the bad hands. The XF has the right proportions, and decent looking hands out the box. Thinness is probably the 15202’s most distinguishing feature, and it wins in that aspect.

Exactly

Zf only good dial everything else its off

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Found this https://biao6688.com/76843.html
is the side by side false?

For me, the ZF 15202 is good enough. Yes it is not exact but neither is the XF. As always each model has their plus points and both are reps.

This is the 15202 we are talking about, the believability of wearing one is the main consideration. These are supposed to be rare and coveted in real life and if one starts seeing more than a few wearing it in his circle, something must be wrong, tells or flaws aside.

So if one likes the 15202 and desires a replica then the ZF will do just fine. For such watches the wearer will always be the main tell (or convincer). This watch isn’t sold by AP to just anyone who walks into the boutique. You need to have a meaningful business history with the brand to be considered for this watch. So while discussing flaws and such everyone ought to remember this and be grateful for the replica available.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Hang on, is that even the correct ZF? Looks like a ZF 15400 vs XF 15202. The lug to lug, bracelet thickness, bezel size and even screw sizes are all different and points to it being a 15400.

The ZF15202 is supposed to be 8.x mm, similar to the XF.

Yep is the correct

Zf is so off that as you said its like a different reference

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Yep is the correct

Zf is so off that as you said its like a different reference

I'll measure and post the thickness of my ZF 15202 once I receive it from my modder. I guess some RWI forum members already have the ZF rep so they might also chime in.

Reactions: Representative Ryan

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The blue color on gen has changed over the years a couple times so the accuracy of both reps is difficult to assess.

While it is true that the gen blue color (and also silver, black grey for that matter) has variances, the dial texture and finish are both consistent in the gen over the years. This is something the rep can never emulate but the good news is that this difference is barely visible to the naked one. They can be seen in forum pictures and under loupe in real life but not noticeable on the wrist.

Also, these are replicas. There is no need to be too serious about the flaws and tells on a $500 watch. Just enjoy them on the wrist and the purpose of the rep would have been well fulfilled sir.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
While it is true that the gen blue color (and also silver, black grey for that matter) has variances, the dial texture and finish are both consistent in the gen over the years. This is something the rep can never emulate but the good news is that this difference is barely visible to the naked one. They can be seen in forum pictures and under loupe in real life but not noticeable on the wrist.

This is true and unfortunate as it is with close up pictures that the dial is revealing its true beauty...

Reactions: legend

Burbizia

29/8/20
Very interesting read.

is there a way to put a "coat" or to apply a layer of colour to give dial a more dynamic sunburst effect?

I own the XFV2 (with modded base hour hand) and love it.
Thin case is the main appeal to me.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I tried the gen 16202 today in Harrods, it's a dainty little thing especially if you're used to the 15500/15400.

One thing is for sure ZF's blue dials are light years off from the gen. The sunburst is much more prominent in gen, that immediately gives off that you're wearing a rep.

I did prefer Legend's modified ZF bracelet to the gen though, the gen's is slightly too blingy for my tastes.

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

suppish

Supporter
Certified
1/10/17
I tried the gen 16202 today in Harrods, it's a dainty little thing especially if you're used to the 15500/15400.

One thing is for sure ZF's blue dials are light years off from the gen. The sunburst is much more prominent in gen, that immediately gives off that you're wearing a rep.

I did prefer Legend's modified ZF bracelet to the gen though, the gen's is slightly too blingy for my tastes.

Was it for sale or for exhibition only?