• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Old clasp vs. Glidelock

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
DSSD - DSSD version Glidelock
Submariner Ceramic - Sub Glidelock
Explorer I - Easylink Clasp
GMT II Ceramic - Easylink Clasp
Milguass - Easylink Clasp
Daytona - Easylink Clasp
Yachtmaster - Osterclasp

Founds some pictures of the old clasp vs the newer glidelock clasp found on the Ceramic subs. Thought I'd share.

WEQs9.jpg

zg7qA.jpg

I3tFj.jpg

Iz7t3.jpg

GQMbW.jpg

oLKx9.jpg

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
glidelock is awesome. every watch should have a similar system for fine adjustment.
major kudos to Rolex for this gadget.

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
+1 on glidelock! ingenious.... wish Omega PO would step it up... especially since the bracelet debacle.

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
I thought glidelock referred to the adjustable clasp as found on the DSSD? I may be wrong, but I don't think either of those is a "glidelock".

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
I thought glidelock referred to the adjustable clasp as found on the DSSD? I may be wrong, but I don't think either of those is a "glidelock".

the new ceramic sub has a glidelock clasp aswell as the DSSD, however the models of clasp themselves are different in both models. the DSSD has a glidelock with integrated fliplock clasp

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11

The glidelock clasp is found on the ceramic subs, the DSSD and the Explorer I (possibly GMT IIc as well). Pictured above is the older style fliplock clasp shown in comparison to the new glidelock. The fliplock clasp used to include the diver extension which uncoupled from inside the clasp to allow placement over a wet suit. The new ones offer this ability through the glidelock clasp. The glide in glidelock simply refers to being able to unclip, then glide, then relock the clasp to perform size adjustments.

The DSSD clasp in addition to this also has an independent diver extension which is the flat double length link that allows extension of the bracelet to fit over a large wetsuit.

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
The glidelock clasp is found on the ceramic subs, the DSSD and the Explorer I (possibly GMT IIc as well). Pictured above is the older style fliplock clasp shown in comparison to the new glidelock. The fliplock clasp used to include the diver extension which uncoupled from inside the clasp to allow placement over a wet suit. The new ones offer this ability through the glidelock clasp. The glide in glidelock simply refers to being able to unclip, then glide, then relock the clasp to perform size adjustments.

The DSSD clasp in addition to this also has an independent diver extension which is the flat double length link that allows extension of the bracelet to fit over a large wetsuit.

Got it, thanks. There is also another clasp that looks and feels a lot like the glidelock/DSSD, but does not have the adjustment features(just a half link that folds in and out). I have a couple of those, and didn't know there was a another version in between...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
That's the version that's on the Milgauss. I think they call it the easy link clasp. Here it is in comparison against the glidelock on a GMT IIc.

GMT on left, Milguass on right.

enGZr.jpg

Ms72R.jpg

Milguass clasp open

61cz1.jpg

GMT open

xRSHx.jpg

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
That's the version that's on the Milgauss. I think they call it the easy link clasp. Here it is in comparison against the glidelock on a GMT IIc.

Oh yeah, I've seen that one. I guess that makes 4 that are similar...

this is what I was talking about(not sure if these are even available anymore) the glidelock might be the correction to ones made like this:

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

as opposed to:

6426-54098-thickbox.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh, and though they may be accurate, I'll never buy another rep for more than $50 buck that has that flimsy POS old school "fliplock" clasp pictured in the OP

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
What watch is that first one you pictured on? From the CG's it's either a GMT ii C or a ceramic sub.

The bottom picture is the correct clasp for the Explorer, Ceramic sub and DSSD.

Also, my most comfortable clasp is the fliplock on my WM9 LV. It's pure buttery smooth to use. Although my BK smurf sub with the flidelock is lovely as well. Feels very well engineered. Chances are though that it will break long before my fliplock.

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
What watch is that first one you pictured on? From the CG's it's either a GMT ii C or a ceramic sub.

The bottom picture is the correct clasp for the Explorer, Ceramic sub and DSSD.

Also, my most comfortable clasp is the fliplock on my WM9 LV. It's pure buttery smooth to use. Although my BK smurf sub with the flidelock is lovely as well. Feels very well engineered. Chances are though that it will break long before my fliplock.

Yup, Blue Ceramic Sub... Looks identical when closed, but not a glidelock. Doesn't bother me though, If I need to adjust my bracelet size by more than 1/2 link on a given day, It serves as a good reminder to watch my diet a little better. ;)

Didn't mean to insult the fliplock... I just like the new style better...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
How strange, I hadn't seen that version before. Was this an earlier version of the blue subs?

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
I think so, bought it from am member here. It's mint condition, but I think he might have had it for a while and just never wore it...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Must admit I find myself adjusting my glidelock quite a lot. Loose if I'm just relaxing, or if its hotter, and smaller if I'm moving about and it's likely to swing against something. But then I like just taking it on and off and playing with it a lot :p

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
is not the "glidelock" on the DSSD different and more elaborate in that there is the top section of the longer part of the clasp that pulls up and then you adjust as opposed to the simpler but still highly adjustable version of the glidelock that is on the sub-c's?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Rolex info on Submariner Glidelock

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/submariner/glidelock-clasp

Rolex info on Deep Sea Glidelock

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/rolexdeepsea/glidelock

Rolex info on GMT Easylink clasp

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/gmt-masterii/easylink

Rolex info on Rolex Day-Date President Bracelet

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/day-date/president-bracelet

None of the others have official info on the website about their clasps. But your right, the DSSD clasp does differ from the Subs. Is this replicated on the reps? I don't think I have ever seen it done like it shows in the pics.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
yeah baby, that's the definitive answer.
nice one Bonesey.
the sub-c's are simpler but still awesome.