• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Zorro GP AP movement swap to new decorated movement

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15
Hey gang,

I recently purchased the famous AP Z-GP through m2m. Many of you already know that these only come in the old movement without the deco plate. If I want to modify the movement to the new movement with the deco plate, I was told that I need the JF decorated movement with movement case and rotor. I have been doing some research on this but I thought I can also reach out to the community since someone might point me in the right direction much faster.

(1) Does anyone know where I can purchase the new JF decorated movement for the GP? I checked on TD sites and I can't find any on 3 different TD sites.

(2) Anyone know and care to explain how to swap the movement? Simple tutorial or a link to one would be much appreciated. I will keep doing my research in the mean time.

Thank you for your time in advance!

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
Hey gang,

I recently purchased the famous AP Z-GP through m2m. Many of you already know that these only come in the old movement without the deco plate. If I want to modify the movement to the new movement with the deco plate, I was told that I need the JF decorated movement with movement case and rotor. I have been doing some research on this but I thought I can also reach out to the community since someone might point me in the right direction much faster.

(1) Does anyone know where I can purchase the new JF decorated movement for the GP? I checked on TD sites and I can't find any on 3 different TD sites.

(2) Anyone know and care to explain how to swap the movement? Simple tutorial or a link to one would be much appreciated. I will keep doing my research in the mean time.

Thank you for your time in advance!

Better send off to a knowledgeable AP modder like domi for that job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kampfpilot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/17
Fk u
The Factories don't like to sell parts separately, I would still try to ask some TD's to get the decorated.

If they don't sell it I would buy a 44mm JF and swap movements then you have at least one perfect watch and one not so perfect. :D

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
The Factories don't like to sell parts separately, I would still try to ask some TD's to get the decorated.

If they don't sell it I would buy a 44mm JF and swap movements then you have at least one perfect watch and one not so perfect. :D

Great logic ! I like your idea, will use it for another similar situation [emoji5]

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15

Not a bad idea! I am def jumping ahead before even receiving the watch lol. I'll ask some TDs. Guess I got nothing to lose by asking

Sent from the RWI mobile app

robinstyler

Renowned Member
4/7/16
Please tell me how much they charge for a deco movement if you find out.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
The reason I did not pull the trigger it’s a beautiful watch please post final assembly and I then will buy from you wink wink enjoy Joking aside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

d4m.test

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s going to be difficult. The Noob version you have required hands with different tube lengths to the JF. As a result, the two movements are not directly compatible with the dials etc from the other. You would need (at very least) a JF version of the same FCGP to transplant the hands and movement on to the ZGP dial. It’s a lot of work for a modder.

The only other way would be to modify the rear of the movement to accept the deco plate. This will require drilling three holes and tapping them for the correct screw thread. Again, a lot of work for a modder.

I know the deco plate looks great, but it’s still inaccurate to the gen by a long way. With it being the case back, which is usually on the wrist, I wouldn’t worry about it personally.

Maybe PM a modder of your choice and consult them for more advice?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
I believe all you need to transplant the Z GP into a JF case is the Noob Chapter ring.

Keylog74

14/6/13
It can be done! Was done before... the one Gigahertz sold before yours had it. If you go to the thread is also explained how was achieved. Here is a pic from that thread
b8d095a86f203aec538cff19d488211c.jpg

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s going to be difficult. The Noob version you have required hands with different tube lengths to the JF. As a result, the two movements are not directly compatible with the dials etc from the other. You would need (at very least) a JF version of the same FCGP to transplant the hands and movement on to the ZGP dial. It’s a lot of work for a modder.
If I'm able to source a JF AP GP movement, can you just swap the movement without having to touch the hands or doing any additional mods to the case, etc.? I'd assume this work shouldn't be too difficult? Is this correct? @zorro-l

The only other way would be to modify the rear of the movement to accept the deco plate. This will require drilling three holes and tapping them for the correct screw thread. Again, a lot of work for a modder.
I thought the older movement without the deco plates still has the screw holes so there wouldn't be any need to drill three holes?

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15
It can be done! Was done before... the one Gigahertz sold before yours had it. If you go to the thread is also explained how was achieved. Here is a pic from that thread
b8d095a86f203aec538cff19d488211c.jpg

Yeah, I saw the sales thread but the thread doesn't explain how the movement swap was done.. it just mentions that the deco movement was installed?

TheDonSL

28/12/13
What is a Chapter ring?

Do you have the Gio Bezel and screws? If so they will not fit the JF case without the Noob chapter ring.

You can source a new JF movement with plates from any TD. I do not know if a JF movement will fit a Noob case. I don’t have any Noob watches, only a Noob chapter ring lol

Keylog74

14/6/13
Yeah, I saw the sales thread but the thread doesn't explain how the movement swap was done.. it just mentions that the deco movement was installed?

Well description states movement was swapped... anyway drop him a pm would be shorter way to find out [emoji51] or just tag him on this thread!

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15
Well description states movement was swapped... anyway drop him a pm would be shorter way to find out [emoji51] or just tag him on this thread!

Yeah, I will try that.

@legend @gigahertz15 , Sorry to drag you guys into this thread but can you please shine some light on swapping a JF GP deco plate movement with the original Zorro GP movement? If you can share details as to what the process is, and if any major modding is necessary for this to be done, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

gigahertz15

19/11/13
Hey guys,

I'm not too technical, but will get back to you shortly once I have more info from the modder.

Cheers.