• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Actually, never grease but definitely oil (grease make it sticky so it won't rotate as freely). However, the exact oiling process is not to put some drops in it but to dilute a certain amount of oil and alcohol then dip the bearing in that solution then let it evaporate, leaving a thin layer of oil for best result.

This is correct.

Silencing the rotor properly AND having it last long term requires proper work, and is a lot more than just removing the caseback and putting few drops of oil into the rotor bearing assembly.
The bearings needs to be removed and cleaned with alcohol, and then, like you said, treated with an oil/alcohol mixture, letting it settle properly and then reinstalling the bearings.
Dropping a few drops of oil WILL silence the rotor, but it will in the long run cause issues if the bearings are not first cleaned properly. An analogy (though not the same) is draining the engine oil before adding new one.

Reactions: Allure

Addy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/20
Actually, never grease but definitely oil (grease make it sticky so it won't rotate as freely). However, the exact oiling process is not to put some drops in it but to dilute a certain amount of oil and alcohol then dip the bearing in that solution then let it evaporate, leaving a thin layer of oil for best result.

Could you say that this solution completely eliminates the rotor sound? Does the clock become silent?

Or does some roter sound remain even after cleaning and lubricating?

Can someone tell me what screwdrivers I need to disassemble the watch and adjust the strap to fit my hand?

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
Could you say that this solution completely eliminates the rotor sound? Does the clock become silent?

Or does some roter sound remain even after cleaning and lubricating?

Can someone tell me what screwdrivers I need to disassemble the watch and adjust the strap to fit my hand?

In my case on my 15202 the rotor is completely silent.

SQUALO

Renowned Member
12/7/19
EU

Can you give us the magic receipe ?
alchhol and oil ..
please
thanks

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I read that recipe somewhere from a watchmaker but I don't have the recipe, sorry. legend might know it maybe ?

There is no magic recipe or one which is absolutely correct and each watchmaker will have his own way of doing the alcohol/lubricant mix and sequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
does anyone think there will be a v2 of this?

Who knows? Consult a crystal ball, you'd get as much truth from that really.
V2 doesn't come out because of improvements necessarily, it might come out because they have supply issues. ie - it could be worse, not better.

Who knows with this rep game. That said, if you're interested in a 15500. I would order one now. It is very well made.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
does anyone think there will be a v2 of this?

It doesn’t really matter if there is going to be a v2. It will still be flawed and there will be guys looking forward to a v3 which will also be flawed. So if you like a rep of a watch enough, buy it and enjoy it for it is and don’t worry. If you really like the model, consider saving up to buy the gen and you can forget about the rep versions forever.

Addy

4/11/20
I placed an order for 15500 Blue and received my QC photos.
I looked closely at the pictures and noticed several flaws.

1. Screws on the back are not tight. Will I be able to fix it myself?

2. The clasp is not straight. Or is it a feature of the model?

3. It seems to me that the decorative elements in place of the 12:00 are attached a little unevenly. One is higher, the other is slightly lower.

15500-QC-2.jpg

15500-QC-1.jpg

15500-QC-3.jpg

15500-QC-5.jpg

15500-QC-6.jpg

15500-QC-4.jpg

I marked the problem areas with red arrows. Should I opt out of these QCs?

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I placed an order for 15500 Blue and received my QC photos.
I looked closely at the pictures and noticed several flaws.

1. Screws on the back are not tight. Will I be able to fix it myself?

2. The clasp is not straight. Or is it a feature of the model?

3. It seems to me that the decorative elements in place of the 12:00 are attached a little unevenly. One is higher, the other is slightly lower.

I marked the problem areas with red arrows. Should I opt out of these QCs?

You cannot tell if the screws are tight or not from the pics. Sometimes it’s the angle and sometimes it’s the shadows but either way you can easily tighten them yourself even if they aren’t tight. The clasp is ok, just the way the watch was held in the pic. The markers @12 (NOT called “decorative elements”) is aligned well enough.
Don’t be too picky this is a $500 rep. If you cannot live with these then go buy a gen and you won’t need to draw arrows on pics of the watch. Your watch is fine and it’s a $500 rep, don’t impose $20k expectations on it.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Maybe we should implement a rule that only allows yellow arrows and pink lines to point out issues on QC posts.. :lol:

Reactions: Exklusive

Anonray

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
8/10/18
I would reject on the 12 o’clock battons not being level with each other. That would annoy me.

+1.

Else if you want, you can always send the watch to a modder and get the issue fixed.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
For me the biggest tell is the clasp that is green and red. It's absolutely not gen like as the gen is full steel. There is no plastic part on the clasp let alone in such obviously wrong colours. Immediate tell

Last edited:
Reactions: QueTip

Addy

4/11/20
For me the biggest tell is the clasp that is green and red. It's absolutely not gen like as the gen is full steel. There is no plastic part on the clasp let alone in such obviously wrong colours. Immediate tell

What kind of plastic clasp are we talking about?

These are watches from the ZF factory, and they seem to be all the same within the same model (15500).

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
What kind of plastic clasp are we talking about?

These are watches from the ZF factory, and they seem to be all the same within the same model (15500).

Haha mate, he’s joking. There’s nothing wrong with the bracelet.

Reactions: Addy