• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special in bronze - little review

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
[MENTION=2817]polo[/MENTION]nus thanks for the review. How does the watch wear on the wrist. From pics seems to be a tad big but what do you think

RobbyC

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/12/15
I'm also looking for more patina developed pics. Hopefully it reaches the same dark level of the gen bronze case.
I tried on a gen bronze the other day, and it seemed to me the finish is pre-aged with an oil-rubbed bronze look, not unlike upscale bathroom fixtures. It didn't seem like a natural patina at all, so I'm wondering whether the gen will age or will it look exactly the same 5 years on? The rep seems plain bronze, which will age on a per watch basis, and might actually look better than gen, but not the same. I googled how to do an oil rub finish on bronze, but couldn't find anything relevant.

retrospex

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
I tried on a gen bronze the other day, and it seemed to me the finish is pre-aged with an oil-rubbed bronze look, not unlike upscale bathroom fixtures. It didn't seem like a natural patina at all, so I'm wondering whether the gen will age or will it look exactly the same 5 years on? The rep seems plain bronze, which will age on a per watch basis, and might actually look better than gen, but not the same. I googled how to do an oil rub finish on bronze, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Interesting question. There's probably something at home depot to help with this :)

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Just received mine today......i just KNEW i would love it...i just knew....this i feckin' lovely....very happy.
20160113_182930_zpslulavqqu.jpg

Palzor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/14
I couldn't resist the temptation and pulled the trigger. Feel slightly dirty with it not being a PAM, felt the need for some hing a little different!

Locknload

22/3/13
Loving mine minus the somewhat loud rotor. It is a known issue with the 9015 i've read. Running about +10sec/day. The rotor is less noticeable while just wearing the watch as opposed to spinning it to try and elicit the sound.

My other dissapointment is trying to find a bronze buckle to replace the SS one that came with it. Finding one that will patina and not stay bright. I was reading on the PAM forum about someone who cast his own buckles. Unfortunately I do not have casting equipment available. I was thinking of buying a piece of bronze and shaping it. I have all the tools necessary to do that. Now off to search where to buy bronze unless anyone has any good ideas?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I couldn't resist the temptation and pulled the trigger. Feel slightly dirty with it not being a PAM, felt the need for some hing a little different!

I had the same feelings as well, but its a nice change of pace. Can't wait until mine gets back from the relume shop and I can give it some quality wrist time.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
ouch, that's a strange size, I can't fit PAM straps :(

You can if they are malleable. I was able to fit a few just fine -- it's the damned spring bars that make it a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Loving mine minus the somewhat loud rotor. It is a known issue with the 9015 i've read. Running about +10sec/day. The rotor is less noticeable while just wearing the watch as opposed to spinning it to try and elicit the sound.

My other dissapointment is trying to find a bronze buckle to replace the SS one that came with it. Finding one that will patina and not stay bright. I was reading on the PAM forum about someone who cast his own buckles. Unfortunately I do not have casting equipment available. I was thinking of buying a piece of bronze and shaping it. I have all the tools necessary to do that. Now off to search where to buy bronze unless anyone has any good ideas?

Yep the 9015 is fairly noisy.....but i don't notice it too much to be honest.....

However, I have a video of it so you can all see for yourselves.....I'll post it up in a few minutes.....

I noticed that mine was very noisy and sounded like there was something loose inside (and it stopped last night) so i opened it up today to have a looksie inside...
If you zoom in, you will see that there is a screw in there that is loose.....(I suspected this) and i think whoever put this together probably lost a screw (lol) and couldn't find it, It is the same screw that the caseback is attached with (and i had a complete set) so that's why i think that they lost one in assembly and didn't realise that it was in the watch movement!
You can also see in the second picture that there are scratches on the rotor where the screw was getting trapped.
Anyway, i took the opportunity to lightly oil the rotor and grease the seals while i was at it.

Here is a vid of the noisy rotor....

[video]http://vid415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/nickbirt2008/Watches/20160117_135046_zpsnuwhuysv.mp4[/video]

Here the pic with the loose screw exactly as i found it (I've circled the screw in RED)

rotorscrew_zpsrfhwxmlv.jpg

And here a closer look......

rotorscrew_close-2_zpsurrhufvw.jpg

Anyway...........a truly lovely watch...I've had mine on all weekend. Everything on this watch feels really good quality...even the strap and even tho it is a heavy watch, it's really comfortable (I have 7.5" wrist size)

20160117_154228_zpsqxo28tjm.jpg

Xman

6/2/11
That may be the screw that holds the movement to the movement holder. It's missing in your pic so that's probably it.

yngchrn

🍔🍟🍔🍟
Certified
23/10/12
that happen to me as well the watch go dead after wearing it for 3 days.

hotwheels

Renowned Member
22/10/14
Bay Area, California
69CC62D0-D7BC-4D7F-AC53-796003923A38.jpg

478F6D38-3B3A-4FDA-A784-59960E51FD51.jpg

Here's a few shots of mine. This was my vote for Rep of the Year as far as accuracy, quality, build and over performance.
Since received from Ken (chazingtime) timekeeping has been perfect +/- 3 secs a day. Natural patina has been developing nicely.
I got it waterproofed and took the watch to a week long vacation in Hawaii which involved hiking, snorkeling and swimming and its bulletproof.
I love this watch.

Sr20de

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/4/15
Can any one suggest a TD for this watch. I'm going to pull the trigger. Thanks a lot

Shikari

14/7/15
Can any one suggest a TD for this watch. I'm going to pull the trigger. Thanks a lot
Any TD at this forum is able to get this one for you. I have ordered from Ryan at InTime and Toro both are very good to deal with.