• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Your favorite wine varietal/region and why?

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
You should try :

Pic Saint Loup Domaine de l'Hortus
and
Cuvée Columelle Domaine Richeame

small productions so not easy to get them, but it's not rare either.

The kind of wine where you look at your glass and the bottle in glorious disbelief when you take the first sip

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
For thee holidays when family is over I always do a Paso Robles Daou red flight for my guests.

Just as a preface, there is nothing quite like a California Cabernet. Washington and Oregon State Cabernets taste thin and watery in comparison. I like both Napa and Paso Robles, but the Napa ones tend to be oak heavy and take a decent amount of time for the tannins to decant. In contrast, the Paso Robles Cabernets, due to the less harsh climate and more fertile soil, have a hallmark sweetness on the nose that immediately distinguishes it from a Napa cab. This also lends to the very short decant time: 5-10 min vs 20-60 min.
For both I find this decanter works quite well:
https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Aerator...id=1703277993&sprefix=wine+aer,aps,438&sr=8-3

I start with the $80 Eye of the Falcon - a majority Cabernet with a little Petit Verdot for a peppery finish. An interesting and nice opener.

Second up is the $95 Estate Cabernet ( the $50 Reserve one is nothing special and not worth the price). This is a true masterpiece of a Paso Robles Cabernet - big, bold, rich, yet incredibly smooth with that POW and WOW factor. This is my preferred drink of the lot.

Lastly is the $150 Soul of the Lion Cabernet Bordeaux blend. There is nothing bold about this wine but sip after sip it is just amazingly perfect and smooth.

And I always pair with Rembrandt aged Gouda. I’ve tried a lot of aged goudas but always seem to go back to this one. It has the perfect nutty aged flavor with embedded salt crystals that brings the flavor out of the above Cabernets.

https://www.vons.com/shop/product-details.960092113.html

https://www.vons.com/shop/product-details.960092113.html

As mentioned above, Silver Oak is very good and I do prefer it over Caymus but ties with Chimney Rock imho as far as Napa Cabs go.

If you do get the chance to visit Paso Robles, stay at the Allegretto and make sure to make reservations to wine taste at Daou, Justin, and Austin Hope. Parrish, Adelaida, and Booker are also nice choices but if you can only squeeze in 2, do Daou and Justin.

Cheers!

Reactions: ImSW1

ImSW1

I Have Learned Many Things! I Can Now Spell Rolex.
Patron
8/10/23
USA - NorCal
I had the opportunity to have Opus One 2018
Nice wine but not worth that price tag
Have to agree with you there. The Opus One wines are overpriced for what you get.

We just got done with tastings at Pride and AXR. Was very happy with the Merlots and Cabs at Pride. The newer 2021 wines at AXR are going to need a few years to mature, but once they've matured, they're well worth the wait. We had a 2014 AXR Cab that was fantastic.

Last edited:

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Have to agree with you there. The Opus One wines are overpriced for what you get.

We just got done with tastings at Pride and AXR. Was very happy with the Merlots and Cabs at Pride. The newer 2021 wines at AXR are going to need a few years to mature, but once they've matured, they're well worth the wait. We had a 2014 AXR Cab that was fantastic.

I don't have much culture of US wines.
The Opus One was during a social setting.

in France, you can get splendid bottles and a lot of variety for relatively low prices, compared to foreign wines.

ImSW1

I Have Learned Many Things! I Can Now Spell Rolex.
Patron
8/10/23
USA - NorCal
I'm with you on French wines. There are so many great French wines. We're lucky to be close by Napa, but we loved the wines and our time in France.

Wait on, @Storm. told me France doesn't exist. 🤣

What The Hell Omg GIF by Nyahoo Studio

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I'm with you on French wines. There are so many great French wines. We're lucky to be close by Napa, but we loved the wines and our time in France.

Wait on, @Storm. told me France doesn't exist. 🤣

What The Hell Omg GIF by Nyahoo Studio
It doesn't. It's a marketing ploy.

The wine is really from Mesaöltsmi, which is in Norway. @Geonor can tell you more about that.

• Haha

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
It doesn't. It's a marketing ploy.

The wine is really from Mesaöltsmi, which is in Norway. @Geonor can tell you more about that.
Uuhm that looks like a Finnish name to me 😅 we use the ø, not the ö.

As for wines, I grew up with my family having a holiday casa outside Marbella in Spain so Spanish wines is my bread and butter. I'm a big fan of Monastrell based wines since I love a full bodied tannic sipping tinto but I usually just buy any Gran Reserva between $15-$35 and I'm happy with it.

Reactions: ImSW1 and Karbon74

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Uuhm that looks like a Finnish name to me 😅 we use the ø, not the ö.

As for wines, I grew up with my family having a holiday casa outside Marbella in Spain so Spanish wines is my bread and butter. I'm a big fan of Monastrell based wines since I love a full bodied tannic sipping tinto but I usually just buy any Gran Reserva between $15-$35 and I'm happy with it.
Finland isn't real.

• Haha