• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Your favorite wine varietal/region and why?

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
Hi guys!

I'm finding this part of the forum quite slow lately (as well as the Cigar Lounge) so I'm suggesting a new thread.

What's your varietal of choice these days, and why? Or, what's predominant in your cellar?

I've been on a Spanish Rioja kick lately, which are usually wines made from 60-70% Tempranillo and 20-25% Garnacha. I find them to be pleasantly balanced, rich in flavour, adequately priced and they often make good aging material. Some people will compare wines from the Rioja to France's Bordeaux region, but I think (subjectively) that you'll get more wine for your dollar with the Spanish wines.

I recently debuted a love affair with Argentina Malbec. I try to expand my horizon beyond French and Italian wines (not that they aren't worthy of their reputation, of course).

As for white wines, I'm currently drinking Alsace wines (Pinot grigio and Gewürztraminer more than Riesling) because they are one of the too few wines my wife will enjoy with me. I suspect she likes the fruitiness and residual sugar of those - I prefer a dry wine myself, but it's fun to get off of my comfort zone sometimes.

What about you guys? Any enthusiast in here?

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
PS.: I know there is a 'Fine wines' sticky post at the top of this sub-forum. I just felt that a thread specifically oriented toward discussing varietals and wine-making regions would be a nice change of pace!

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Couldn't really label me an enthusiast, but at my house we've been drinking a lot of Malbec these past few years. Lots of vibrant recognizable flavors like cherry and plum with some nice subtle cocoa hints as well. It's not as heavy or robust or tannin like a cab sauv. Similarly to your mention of Rioja, we like it because we get a lot of value from the Argentinian labels (though less so lately as it has certainly gotten more popular).

We actually have almost no white wines in the house at all. I guess I've never ventured too far from my comfort zone.

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
Couldn't really label me an enthusiast, but at my house we've been drinking a lot of Malbec these past few years. Lots of vibrant recognizable flavors like cherry and plum with some nice subtle cocoa hints as well. It's not as heavy or robust or tannin like a cab sauv. Similarly to your mention of Rioja, we like it because we get a lot of value from the Argentinian labels (though less so lately as it has certainly gotten more popular).

We actually have almost no white wines in the house at all. I guess I've never ventured too far from my comfort zone.

I'm not much of a white drinker myself. Maybe 5-10% of my consumption, mostly fresh and fruity wines in the summer.

Seeing as you're from the USA got me thinking - there is so many wines from down south that I ought to try!

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
Phew. This part of the forum really is inactive, then! Nobody else likes discussing about wine?

Boristhespie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/16
I love N Zealnd Pinot Noir. Not too heavy. Had an Amerone for christmas lunch, which was nice but alltime favourite is a nice St Estephe. Of all the Bordeauxs that is my favourite area. Luckily with a negociant as a sister in law and sommeliers for friends I have access to many a miam miam. Don't get me started in cognac...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
I love N Zealnd Pinot Noir. Not too heavy. Had an Amerone for christmas lunch, which was nice but alltime favourite is a nice St Estephe. Of all the Bordeauxs that is my favourite area. Luckily with a negociant as a sister in law and sommeliers for friends I have access to many a miam miam. Don't get me started in cognac...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Wish I would be as well connected! Not only don't I have access to "insiders" like you do, on top of that my province wine monopoly (SAQ) tries to rip us off. Don't get me wrong, I do love the variety we have access to, but not the +50% prices.

dildo swaggins

Horology Curious
10/7/17
Spanish 100% tempranillo from Ribero del duero
Most lovely is the dominio de pingus House of Peter siseck or flor de pingus the little brother
Many producers of tempranillo and around Ribero have gone away from intelligent farming tough and are mass producing shitty tempranillo so be wary and you could find your Wine for life in that area
Also the tempranillo blend psi has a lot of power And is from an area a little outside Ribero del duero

simonjay

1/5/16
Mines are:

Red
1) Amarone
2) Merlot
3) Montepulciano

White
1) Chardonnay
2) Sauvignon blanc
3) Pecorino

Sent from the RWI App

D

d4m.test

I am a sucker for big, bold, jammy Sonoma County Zinfandels.

Other than that, I enjoy a good French Bordeaux from Médoc or Saint-Émilion.

uphoto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/6/18
Beaujolais whore over here. Like the lighter acid driven food friendly wines myself.

Maduro

Known Member
17/2/13
For me it's:
1. Washington State Syrah
2. Champagne
3. Cali mountain cabs - not a big fan of blends but have come across some that are really well done
4. Cali or Washington Petite Sirah
5. Barbaresco & Amarone

Reactions: Watchesandwinetime

ownREp

5/8/18
Germany
For:

Red
Bordeaux (Saint Emillion, Haut Medoc, pomerol)

White
Chardonnay and Burgunder (Pinot blanc)

Rpowell19

28/7/19
I’m a fan of wines from Stellenbosch in the Western Cape in South Africa, mainly due to an epic wine tasting stag weekend there a couple of years ago. Vineyards visited (and highly recommended) include Delaire Graff, Klein Constanta and Tokara.

Sent from my iPad using RWI

Dominik2811

Known Member
4/5/11
Hi guys, I've spent the last months in the US.... Florida, Vero Beach... If someone knows this place ^^ and I'm a really big wine enthusiast, since I grew up in germany's most known wine Region. You guys have some very nice wines, espacially the Chardonnays from Napa Valley with the oak and vanilla notes. Nevertheless you really have to try some german wines from Pfalz. We also have some great Chardonnays, Sauvignon Blancs or Riesling (for sure.....) Try it out - it's worth it. Some of the better winerys are in Deidesheim... there are a lot of them and you can't miss it.

Quartz265

30/4/20
USA
The sangiovese grape makes some of my favorite wines. I think if I could only drink Brunello Di Montalcino for the rest of my like, I would be ok with that.

Watchesandwinetime

Known Member
11/3/20
Aussieland
I'm a Pinot-phile!
Favorite regons are luckly in my backyard! (Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula, Victoria Australia)

Giant-Steps-Applejack-Vineyard-Yarra-Valley-Pinot-Noir-2019-scaled.jpg

This is a vintage I helped work on and bottle. Fantastic stuff. 2019 was a cracker year.

Last edited:

pafou

Known Member
Patron
Certified
5/8/18
Interesting thread.
I'm a big lover of Champagne and of Burgundy wines

To be specific, I'm especially a fan of Nuits St Georges, in the Côte de Nuits, which stands out for its exceptional Pinot Noir. I find these to have remarkable depth and complexity, offering a harmonious blend of robust structure and elegant subtlety. The Pinot Noir from this area typically exhibits an intricate balance of ripe fruit, earthy undertones, and refined minerality, creating a taste and nose that are both nuanced and profound.

The most insane bottle I've ever had was a 2000 Nuits St Georges Aux Boudots from the Domaine Leroy, vintage 2000.

As for Champagne, top of mind are:
- Pierre Gimonnet - best value for money
- Egly Ouriet - best champagne I've ever had in my life. The 2007 vintage was mindblowing
- Krug - also a very solid producer

Reactions: Karbon74