• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

VaderTime

9/10/17
Having received a member's XF15202 in hand for modding a few days back, I must say that I am happy with the quality and build of the watch at its given price.
Yes little bits and pieces can be improved, but nothing screams "sub-par" to me. Close to gen? That is subjective and a topic best debated on the forums between more discerning members than myself but for me, I am happy with how it looks in real life.

Will I wear it? Yes, after a few mods made (for personal preference and not because they make it more accurate to gen).
This is subjective and my own preference for how I like the watch to be. This will not apply to anyone else who isn't me, and may not apply to another specimen of the same piece too.

1. The bezel screws of the piece are a little misaligned in their grooves. I will remove them and have each one aligned properly and also polished in the meantime (not necessary for the polish but a "by the way" thing out of habit)

2. The rotor bearing assembly is noisy as a lawnmower on steroids. This is easily improved through a proper lubrication of the bearings. I do expect the gen cal.2121 to have some mechanical whir too, and to sound less refined than the cal. 3120. I do not own the AP 15202 so I am unable to comment. Maybe tosoboso can as he owns the gen equivalent.

3. I will realign the slightly crooked logo on the specific piece in my possession. This is not a design or batch flaw but rather, something which varies from piece to piece.

4. Thinning for this model is not strictly necessary for "on the wrist" thickness accuracy. Yes I am aware that this is not strictly gen spec but thinning is not necessary for its current thickness

5. Lume "mismatch" between hands and dial markers: Yes a slight variation exists, namely the hands are very slightly a creamy green but it is not enough to bother me. A relume is optional in this case.

It is in short a watch almost good enough to wear out of the box for me. Regarding bezel edge-decorative screw head distance, I am not bothered by what I see. I wholeheartedly agree with you that for a $500 rep, it is just a few breaths away from being impressive, but it can be made to look very good with simple mods. For those expecting more out of this release, you may be disappointed but I think it is something the majority in the community can be happy with.

wow very well said especially for a new comer like myself in the AP game! I have read a few posts here and still learning lol

guessit

17/11/19
Talking about reps’ accuracy, some days ago I was to a limited series watch presentation event for the world market. I was wearing my only rep, and during the event I received many compliments from those who saw the watch on my wrist. No one naturally inspected it, but looking at the wrist even the most experienced are unable to understand that it was a rep. Also because a lot depends on WHO wears a rep and in which circumstance he wears the rep.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
legend

Can you comment on how the bracelet looks and feels in comparison to JF?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend

Can you comment on how the bracelet looks and feels in comparison to JF?

Thanks.

Ok to answer this, you need to first understand that the gen 15202 bracelet, and in fact the entire watch, feels delicate and flimsy as well, despite being the flagship Royal Oak.
The xf 15202 bracelet of the piece I have is a little rough round the edges but they can be smoothened out easy. You may be surprised to learn that I had to also smoothen out the edges of the bracelet on my gen 15202 as well.
I will say that it is reasonable to assume that the bracelet of the xf is on par with the JF one. I have not done a specific comparison on both and this is merely my inference.

Reactions: Allure and Mello

Blingo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
30/9/18
Turkey
Having received a member's XF15202 in hand for modding a few days back, I must say that I am happy with the quality and build of the watch at its given price.
Yes little bits and pieces can be improved, but nothing screams "sub-par" to me. Close to gen? That is subjective and a topic best debated on the forums between more discerning members than myself but for me, I am happy with how it looks in real life.

Will I wear it? Yes, after a few mods made (for personal preference and not because they make it more accurate to gen).
This is subjective and my own preference for how I like the watch to be. This will not apply to anyone else who isn't me, and may not apply to another specimen of the same piece too.

1. The bezel screws of the piece are a little misaligned in their grooves. I will remove them and have each one aligned properly and also polished in the meantime (not necessary for the polish but a "by the way" thing out of habit)

2. The rotor bearing assembly is noisy as a lawnmower on steroids. This is easily improved through a proper lubrication of the bearings. I do expect the gen cal.2121 to have some mechanical whir too, and to sound less refined than the cal. 3120. I do not own the AP 15202 so I am unable to comment. Maybe tosoboso can as he owns the gen equivalent.

3. I will realign the slightly crooked logo on the specific piece in my possession. This is not a design or batch flaw but rather, something which varies from piece to piece.

4. Thinning for this model is not strictly necessary for "on the wrist" thickness accuracy. Yes I am aware that this is not strictly gen spec but thinning is not necessary for its current thickness

5. Lume "mismatch" between hands and dial markers: Yes a slight variation exists, namely the hands are very slightly a creamy green but it is not enough to bother me. A relume is optional in this case.

It is in short a watch almost good enough to wear out of the box for me. Regarding bezel edge-decorative screw head distance, I am not bothered by what I see. I wholeheartedly agree with you that for a $500 rep, it is just a few breaths away from being impressive, but it can be made to look very good with simple mods. For those expecting more out of this release, you may be disappointed but I think it is something the majority in the community can be happy with.

I will write to you for mod legend

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Fat Panda just told me that XF will be releasing the 15202BC next year!!!

That's great news. Without even seeing or feeling it, I can tell you of at least one flaw, the weight. The gen has a 18-carat white gold case and bracelet. The availability of another dial color will be a welcome sight.

Reactions: guessit