• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Workshop snapshots - an insight into some of the things I come across

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
The Explore's Stone.

Another Indiana Jones adventure? Almost, a trusty and well loved 3 year old Explorer which seized up and lost its impulse stone (roller impulse pin jewel).

A decorated Asian 2836 with red painted auto wheels. Over time the paint flaked and spread around the movement. That mixed with poor quality oils from the factory, turned into the perfect formula for disintegrating parts. The pressure resulted into the balance impulse jewel to make a run for it.

As this is a solid movement with plenty of replacement parts available, the impulse jewel, ETA genuine auto wheels and escape wheel all replaced, plus a full service, had it ready for its next adventures ;)

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
To continue with the reversing wheels saga, this is what a damaged reversing wheel tooth sounds like.

The work was done on a GMT as part of a service and genuine parts upgrade.

Part swapped and the crickets were gone ;)

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
The danger zone.

I'm sure you might have heard about changing the date on your watch in the 'danger zone'. This affects movements in different ways with some ending up being damaged if forced. The danger zone of watch setting is between the hours of 9pm and 3am.

So, if you want to be on the safe side and manually change your date after your watch has stopped, manually adjust the time a few hours ahead making sure you're past 12 o'clock.

Here's a short video demonstrating the impact this has on a caliber 3xxx and its date indicator driving wheel pin ;)

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
AR problems.

Unfortunately top coated AR Xtals scratch sometime and the only solution is a polish - diamond paste does the trick ;)

This Omega got serviced and looking fresh again.

Reactions: Schumag

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
The Daytona project.

As much as I try to stay away from dial shaving related adventures, this was worth it. Armed with a good example of ingenuity from @KJ2020, and a few tweaks, I ended up with a freshly shaved ARF dial to fit a Noob case.

As the motif here was a vintage looking piece, we ended up with a bit of inspiration from the past, with a clean rehaut, brushed lugs, bezel and bracelet.

The switch also helped get rid of the milky Xtal ring.

The milky ring comes from the Xtal gasket.

The green line marks the space where a Noob/gen spec dial would sit, and the red line where the ARF dial was in terms of size, so a full 1mm had to come off.

A bit of fabrication to have the dial sitting centered and slowly the microns left the dial.

Also the rehaut, case, bezel and bracelet got a a fresh look.

A few adjustments later, we had a good looking new old watch :)

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Alignement.

This was a project I had in my drawer for a while as I was disappointed with the dial markers alignment.

Decided to remove these, shave the marker feet and then re-glue with better alignment - quite happy with the results.

Also the dial was a bit flat, so decided to give it a bit more depth by adding some texture.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Homage to the Rolex way.

The safest way to remove the bezel assembly on the new turning bezels is the Rolex way - a pusher putting pressure on a point on the Xtal while the bezel gets supported from underneath.

Normally the case would be on a specifically designed case die (££££) but the Bergeon lug holders from a case back press work just fine.

The pusher is V 0.1 as I didn't put a lot of effort into polishing etc.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Homage to the Rolex way.

The safest way to remove the bezel assembly on the new turning bezels is the Rolex way - a pusher putting pressure on a point on the Xtal while the bezel gets supported from underneath.

Normally the case would be on a specifically designed case die (££££) but the Bergeon lug holders from a case back press work just fine.

The pusher is V 0.1 as I didn't put a lot of effort into polishing etc.

That's brilliant mate ! If you don't mind I'll share it with some of my colleagues. This can save them $$$

I switched my bezel removing combo from rack press to this, a bit more control

Reactions: Solution6

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
That's brilliant mate ! If you don't mind I'll share it with some of my colleagues. This can save them $$$

I switched my bezel removing combo from rack press to this, a bit more control

🙏

It was your design I got inspiration from, for the press and pusher :) Just had to improvise on the holder (you have all the good stuff, hehe).

Bezels pop off really nicely and securely, but the hytrel still suffers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schumag