• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Wine tasting, is it bullshit, or is it complete and utter bullshit?

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
The truth is here for all to read :D:

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

k-bigpic.jpg

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Wineries are a dime a dozen here in central and northern California. I've always been a little skeptical regarding wine analysis.

We have a member here who is a true expert in the field of wineology, but I don't know if Rogerwine is still around or not.

Personally, I prefer Gatorade 67. :cheer:

Luthier

30/9/09
Sure, it's total bullshit. All depend what do you like. I, personally, prefer not too expensive Californian Gewurztraminer to super expensive French Corton Charlemagne at any time.

Winemaker

I'm Pretty Popular
4/9/10
Sure, it's total bullshit. All depend what do you like. I, personally, prefer not too expensive Californian Gewurztraminer to super expensive French Corton Charlemagne at any time.

Try some Alsatian GW or a grand cru Pinot blanc!!

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
Maybe my taste buds aren't mature enough, but I think white wine taste's like vinegar and red taste's like feet and vinegar. The smell is a different story for a different day.

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
Iunno they all taste the same to me. Infact, the only reason I drink is to get f#*%#$ up.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Iunno they all taste the same to me. Infact, the only reason I drink is to get f#*%#$ up.

^^
+1

I prefer the "Two Buck Chuck" vintage when in California. Has any one else heard of it? One of Ca's finest and definitely the best bang for the buck.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I've always found wine tasting confusing. I either like wine or a I don't. ;)

Strange thing is I'm a total cigar snob wich is pretty much the exact same thing as a wine snob.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09

Strange thing is I'm a total cigar snob wich is pretty much the exact same thing as a wine snob.

shandroid

13/9/10
Lol...

Cool topic... You guys should look into Dan Ariely's works (he's an author and professor)... He puts wine snobs (experts?!) through some pretty interesting experiments with embarrassing (for them!) results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
^^
+1

I prefer the "Two Buck Chuck" vintage when in California. Has any one else heard of it? One of Ca's finest and definitely the best bang for the buck.

Actually very good, and not at all what the name would imply. I would go as far as to say that many fancy blends really are just 2 Buck Chucks. :)

HMPF! You don't know what you're missing....

Maybe my taste buds aren't mature enough, but I think white wine taste's like vinegar and red taste's like feet and vinegar. The smell is a different story for a different day.

You must be drinking really crappy wine, or just haven't found variants that appeal to your pallet.

Cigar smoking and wine tasting never work out. :)

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag%27s_Leap_Wine_Cellars"]Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

This is one we drink often, my father-in-law introduced it to us- as well as the story, which we've heard quite often.... the wine makes it easier to listen though.

A lot of people start with white wines, then graduate to reds. Drinking wine is like making love to a woman- do it slowly, and savor each subtly as you become intoxicated with the experience.

On the other hand, there will always be those who prefer a Wham-Bam-Thank You-Mam approach. I think we all know what kind of women that experience involves. :p

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
As a beer snob, I can taste a lot of subtleties in beers and especially between styles. I often have to laugh at some of the flavors that people on beeradvocate come up with to describe a particular beer. Very similar to wine tasting notes.

I wish I could distinguish the same in wine, I really do. But it all tastes the same to me. Red tastes like red, white like white. I 100% know that it's me that is missing out, which is the same thing I think about people who say the same about beer but have never had a delicious fruity belgian trappist ale.

Perhaps one day it'll click.....

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
tumblr_mhfutqOqyh1qz50r6o1_500.jpg

This will tell you if you have the ability to be a wine tester.

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
Man the last thing I need is to take up another hobby, I'm already on the fence with the*wife. Lol

Actually very good, and not at all what the name would imply. I would go as far as to say that many fancy blends really are just 2 Buck Chucks. :)

HMPF! You don't know what you're missing....

You must be drinking really crappy wine, or just haven't found variants that appeal to your pallet.

Cigar smoking and wine tasting never work out. :)

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is one we drink often, my father-in-law introduced it to us- as well as the story, which we've heard quite often.... the wine makes it easier to listen though.

A lot of people start with white wines, then graduate to reds. Drinking wine is like making love to a woman- do it slowly, and savor each subtly as you become intoxicated with the experience.

On the other hand, there will always be those who prefer a Wham-Bam-Thank You-Mam approach. I think we all know what kind of women that experience involves. :p

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
My mantra with wines is similar to the movie Bottle Shock. I live for those Paso Robles under dog wines that just taste good. I attend a wine club on a quarterly basis and it's a very low key non stuffy crowd. I wouldn't imagine missing it. To each his own, I still prefer the full strength milk too. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

scrat1826

Horology Curious
22/2/14
When I was in grad school I had a friend who had been a sommelier at a very nice resort restaurant. At a wine tasting I asked him how to tell if a wine was good. He handed me a glass of wine and asked, "do you like this?" When I responded yes, he said, "then it's a good wine."

Tastes change and evolve. If you like it, it's good.