• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Will there ever be a NWBIG RM?

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Let's not overhype RM movements. Have you've every tried setting time on a gen RM ? The hands jump all over the place.
The dead spot on the crown is huge, they are 2k movements in the end, reworded but Vaucher based.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
The dead spot on the crown is huge, they are 2k movements in the end, reworded but Vaucher based.
Yup. The biggest thing they flaunt is the way the movement is suspended within the case which is supposed to allow for use in high shock activities. But you can't even take it in the water as there are many examples of them being ruined by moisture. I can appreciate the beauty some of their pieces bring to the table. They also have some models that look like they came out of a vending machine.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Yup. The biggest thing they flaunt is the way the movement is suspended within the case which is supposed to allow for use in high shock activities. But you can't even take it in the water as there are many examples of them being ruined by moisture. I can appreciate the beauty some of their pieces bring to the table. They also have some models that look like they came out of a vending machine.
I personally like them, specially 35, 55 and 67, but their movements are simple 3 handers (not taking into account new versions with detachable rotors etc) very well reworked, but they are not perpetual calendars or split seconds.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
The water resistance thing is kinda ridiculous to me. They spend all this time engineering titanium movement bridges just because titanium is a pain in the ass to work with, and then they don't bother threading the crown or gasketing the stem and crystal? I'm a hobbyist making cases in my living room and mine seem to be exactly as waterproof as gen. I've seen so many pics of RMs steamed up or ruined because of water intrusion, and it looks like they just sorta ignored that on all the tonneau case models until the RM35-03

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Yeah, that is crazy. If I dropped 200k on a watch I'd at least think that I'd be able to swim in my pool with it.

Out of all the ones I've tried on, this one was my favorite.

Screenshot_20230301_181614_Photobucket.jpg

Reactions: GiantSquid

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Yeah, that is crazy. If I dropped 200k on a watch I'd at least think that I'd be able to swim in my pool with it.

If you like those, and specially you can pull off the size of them you are lucky, this ones go below retail haha

Reactions: TESLA760

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
I personally like them, specially 35, 55 and 67, but their movements are simple 3 handers (not taking into account new versions with detachable rotors etc) very well reworked, but they are not perpetual calendars or split seconds.
Even their split-second/split second tourbillon is just an AP R&P movement that AP is starting to use more and more in their Concept line. I know they went in-house with the RM65 (and the secondary winding barrel is kinda trick, I gotta say) and the RM72 but still, a lot of their top-shelf movements are just Renaud and Papi seeds with RM bridges

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19

I love the round ones, they're chunky as fuck but they look super cool, but I think there are about a dozen of us on earth who like them, judging by market value

Paul Newman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
31/3/15
Even their split-second/split second tourbillon is just an AP R&P movement that AP is starting to use more and more in their Concept line. I know they went in-house with the RM65 (and the secondary winding barrel is kinda trick, I gotta say) and the RM72 but still, a lot of their top-shelf movements are just Renaud and Papi seeds with RM bridges
Yes but well this happens with almost every big brand, R&P are kings in his side.

What I mean, if we got 25 people (I think that was minimum order) in here to order Vaucher movements and find someone to rework them (I'm sure Oascom could do it), you would have almost the same as gen 35 or 55s.

I don't know which caliber 67s use.

Big complications is another story to get supply haha, 65 is an awesome watch to be honest and 72 same.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The water resistance thing is kinda ridiculous to me.
The only watch above 100k (well above in these cases) that has any right not to be waterproof to at least swimming levels is the Lang 1
For a watch designed as a sports watch to get foggy in a heavy rain shower like some RMs I've seen is, in my mind at least, quite insane.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The water resistance thing is kinda ridiculous to me.
The only watch above 100k (well above in these cases) that has any right not to be waterproof to at least swimming levels is the Lang 1
For a watch designed as a sports watch to get foggy in a heavy rain shower like some RMs I've seen is, in my mind at least, quite insane.