• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Will there ever be a NWBIG RM?

christosstav_

Horology Curious
23/6/21
Ive heard differing opinions on the question to whether we will ever see RM reps which are NWBIG or difficult to spot with the naked eye. Some people say that it is impossible to manufacture a fully exposed RM movement for such a low price whereas others believe the quality will continue to improve at a constant rate.

With the release of the new superclone movements in the RM035 and RM055, the industry is heading in the right direction however the machining and finishing on the components is no where near the standard of the gens. If a Rolex daytona can be almost perfectly repped for under 800USD then why cant we see that for an RM?

Obviously the demand for RM reps is a fraction of what it is for Rolex or other popular brands so I'm wondering how long you guys think it will take for NWBIG's to be released or if it is even possible for them to be manufactured?

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Quite frankly, as much as people hate RM, their movements are already leagues above Rolex.

Rolex movements have been cloned because Rolex is most popular watch brand, demand is high, but also their movements are nothing special.

RM movements are pretty insane from a horological/watch making perspective, suspended movements, composite materials in them, and some pretty insane complications (watches you can play golf in??). If a Chinese factory can even get close then what are they doing producing fakes, they should just go make a real brand.

Reactions: christosstav_

christosstav_

Horology Curious
23/6/21
Quite frankly, as much as people hate RM, their movements are already leagues above Rolex.

Rolex movements have been cloned because Rolex is most popular watch brand, demand is high, but also their movements are nothing special.

RM movements are pretty insane from a horological/watch making perspective, suspended movements, composite materials in them, and some pretty insane complications (watches you can play golf in??). If a Chinese factory can even get close then what are they doing producing fakes, they should just go make a real brand.
Thats fair but I do feel like most of the flaws in the reps today can be fixed quite easily. Im mainly talking about things like colour and polishing differences. Also most of the cost of production for these insane watches would go into their research and development which rep factorys dont need to do. Of course they will never be perfect but if they can eventually make reliable superclone movements that aren't time-bombs then I don't see why they can't look very close to gen.

Also the more basic RM's have few components which would make it easier to manufacture.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Thats fair but I do feel like most of the flaws in the reps today can be fixed quite easily. Im mainly talking about things like colour and polishing differences. Also most of the cost of production for these insane watches would go into their research and development which rep factorys dont need to do. Of course they will never be perfect but if they can eventually make reliable superclone movements that aren't time-bombs then I don't see why they can't look very close to gen.

Also the more basic RM's have few components which would make it easier to manufacture.
I think you and I have different definitions of NWBIG and what "superclone" is. Each to their own.

For me, its not simply about the looks but the movement if NWBIG has to be plug and play with gen and function exactly like gen. Since RM has always visible movements, then it needs to look 90% like gen as well.

I doubt we will ever get there, but I'll be the first to buy a RM NWBIG rep if they ever release one.

Reactions: christosstav_

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
If it is technically doable, demand sets off supply.... IF there is enough profit potential.

Reactions: Karbon74

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
There is a RM which can be copied 1:1. The 010. Just don't understand why they haven't done it yet.

Reactions: GiantSquid

christosstav_

Horology Curious
23/6/21
If it is technically doable, demand sets off supply.... IF there is enough profit potential.
That’s true, but as they inevitably get better the demand should increase with the quality.

I would imagine that most potential buyers won’t pull the trigger because they are waiting for the quality to improve

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
That’s true, but as they inevitably get better the demand should increase with the quality.

I would imagine that most potential buyers won’t pull the trigger because they are waiting for the quality to improve
I don't think so.
RM is pretty niche in gen, plus a bit tacky.

Rolex cheapies sell well. So quality is not the factor. As above, lack of core demand is the key

christosstav_

Horology Curious
23/6/21
I don't think so.

Rolex cheapies sell well. So quality is not the factor. As above, lack of core demand is the key
I feel like the lack of demand will definitely slow down the improvement of quality in RM reps. However they will definitely improve to some extent.

If brands such as Breitling and IWC, which are comparable to the popularity of RM reps, are replicated to a super rep teir quality, then we should get RMs which are at least at the same level as these brands.

Fingers crossed because I’ve been itching to buy an RM055 for a while however I want it to have a reliable super cloned movement. I’ve heard that the bbrf one can have issues.

christosstav_

Horology Curious
23/6/21
I don't think so.

I feel like the lack of demand will definitely slow down the improvement of quality in RM reps. However they will definitely improve to some extent.

If brands such as Breitling and IWC, which are comparable to the popularity of RM reps, are replicated to a super rep teir quality, then we should get RMs which are at least at the same level as these brands.

Fingers crossed because I’ve been itching to buy an RM055 for a while however I want it to have a reliable super cloned movement. I’ve heard that the bbrf one can have issues.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22

Quite frankly, with all reps, if you like it, buy it. Waiting for a better version to come out means you might wait 1000 years, espefially with RM. Worried about reliability go ZF but BBR just go for it.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
There is a RM which can be copied 1:1. The 010. Just don't understand why they haven't done it yet.
The 010 and the round ones (33, 28, 32, etc) would be easily doable but no one wants the round ones and the 010 just isn't flashy enough. I wish they would make any of those at the highest level but I guess the market must not be there because they just...don't.

Reactions: Stuvetjee

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
The 010 and the round ones (33, 28, 32, etc) would be easily doable but no one wants the round ones and the 010 just isn't flashy enough. I wish they would make any of those at the highest level but I guess the market must not be there because they just...don't.
And the 010 casesize is really chefskiss. Will fit everyone beautifully

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
And the 010 casesize is really chefskiss. Will fit everyone beautifully
It might be pretty close to their "perfect" design. It fits great, the size works on a variety of wrists, and it's lowkey (at least the SS/Ti version) enough to be daily wearable while still being recognizable and really captures (I think) all of RM's design elements without going overboard.