• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why go Gen ?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
while everyone can afford one, not everyone will think that dropping $8k on a watch is worth it.

That's the key thing to me. You can buy any watch and pay it over 1, 2, 4 years, anything like that. That will set you off what, £60 - £120 a month? That's nothing, you spend more in a used car. Now, the question is not if you can afford one, but given the quality of some reps would you still use that money on a watch instead of a new car. Or how much money do you need to have saved and incoming, to feel happy with spending 8k on a watch. Especially knowing that for $500 you can get a really nice rep. Or even double that and get a gen Omega SpeedMaster Reduced. I mean, to me it's a no brainer.

Dammit, now I want that Speedy. I hate you guys.

lcsrep11

19/8/17
Difference is that a Patek is actually a handmade, low-production luxury item, while a steel Rolex is a mass-production, machine-made tool watch. Stop drinking the Kool Aid

So that warrants a 20 to 25k premium over list for a nautilus 5711 think you should put down the Kool aid pal.

lcsrep11

19/8/17
100% correct. Rolex’s value is in the brand more than the product. Some of the comments in this thread - ‘A year to make’, ‘Rolex make their own gold’ - are straight off Hodinkee.

Obviously this is exactly the same for all luxury brands patek, AP, LV.

That kind of information comes from rolex itself and why would it not be true, parts are machine made and the watch is assembled by hand its not hand made in totality.

Makes me laugh how a lot of people slag Rolex off as a brand in these forums saying there "mass produced" not worth the money etc but everyone is in here trying to find the perfect imitation. If these people don't like the brand and don't agree with how they operate then why does everyone want a rep rolex?

Last edited:

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
So that warrants a 20 to 25k premium over list for a nautilus 5711 think you should put down the Kool aid pal.

Steel Daytona (mass-market, machine made): retail 13k$, secondary 18k$ (+38%). Steel Nautilus (limited production, hand-made): retail 26k$, secondary 35$k (+34%).

Where is this 20 to 25k premium?

Again a Nautilus can reasonably take one year to make, a Daytona for sure does not, and in terms of economies of scale Patek cannot amortize their costs in the way that Rolex does. Also, while I'm sure that also Patek is reducing supply and manipulating the market, they are in no way doing it to the extent that Rolex does because they are simply not able to produce as many pieces per year.

I'll let you hold my bottle, pal, it's still full

RepJelly

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/18
LOL please find me a Nautilus for $34k! More like $45k for white dial and $55k for blue dial!

These companies do what Ferrari does with production. Limit it to protect the brand and pricing. Omega (Swatch) makes as many as they can so secondary prices are a 30% less than MSRP.

I bought a rep 116500 because I want to wear a good looking watch now, don't want to wait 10 years on an ADs waiting list and refuse to pay double MSRP for one.

If I could buy a 98% accurate Ferrari with a working replica engine, I would. And you probably would too!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Makes me laugh how a lot of people slag Rolex off as a brand in these forums saying there "mass produced" not worth the money etc but everyone is in here trying to find the perfect imitation. If these people don't like the brand and don't agree with how they operate then why does everyone want a rep rolex?

I must have missed the bit where I ‘slagged Rolex off’ care to highlight it for me? Also, where I said they weren’t worth the money?

Oh, wait - I didn’t say either ...

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
Warranty, reliability, resale value, accuracy, the very fact that it's the actual real deal made by the brand on the dial.

Warranty on most watches are 1 year. Some are longer, but not many.

Reliability ; I have owned many gens over the last 35 years of interest in watches. They are really not what I would call generally reliable.

Resale value , well if you are a sports Rolex fanatic, you may do OK, If you buy the right Pateks , you may do OK. All the others, forget it! Watch collectors love to talk about the weddings and ignore the funerals.

Accuracy . Buy a Casio. We have a saying back home" If you want to know the time ask a policeman"

Made by the brand on the dial. Actually i would translate that to Made buy a large Swiss conglomerate who bought the rights to put that brand on the dial, after the brand got screwed in the quartz crisis and they then bought it. Yes there are exceptions to that, but again, not many.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Made by a large Swiss conglomerate who bought the rights to put that brand on the dial, after the brand got screwed in the quartz crisis and they then bought it.

^^^ This

And just to add, for a watch to bear the "Swiss Made" brand, only 60% of the components have to be made in Switzerland. And given how global economy goes, I can tell you where is the other 40% made: Ni hao ma!

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
^^^ This

And just to add, for a watch to bear the "Swiss Made" brand, only 60% of the components have to be made in Switzerland. And given how global economy goes, I can tell you where is the other 40% made: Ni hao ma!

Actually 60% of the watches cost value needs to be generated from Switzerland, and that includes R&D and Marketing. Given that the Swiss generated value will be intrinsically expensive, it seems unlikely that even as much as 60% will actually be Swiss.

However I have visited several Swiss watch factories and can confirm that with many of the Hi end names a great deal of the components (the vast majority) are Swiss.
On the other hand I know a case making company here in Thailand who make all of Tag's cases, here in Thailand. Also there is still an ETA factory in Thailand, not sure yet exactly what they make.
It was quite some time ago that it was discovered that Omega bracelets were made in the majority in China.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

lcsrep11

19/8/17
Steel Daytona (mass-market, machine made): retail 13k$, secondary 18k$ (+38%). Steel Nautilus (limited production, hand-made): retail 26k$, secondary 35$k (+34%).

Where is this 20 to 25k premium?

Again a Nautilus can reasonably take one year to make, a Daytona for sure does not, and in terms of economies of scale Patek cannot amortize their costs in the way that Rolex does. Also, while I'm sure that also Patek is reducing supply and manipulating the market, they are in no way doing it to the extent that Rolex does because they are simply not able to produce as many pieces per year.

I'll let you hold my bottle, pal, it's still full

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...96/item/116606

Theres ya premium pal....sip up.

Granted watchfinder are expinsive here in the UK but seriously its hard to find a nautilus for £35k pounds no chance for $35k dollars. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Actually 60% of the watches cost value needs to be generated from Switzerland, and that includes R&D and Marketing. Given that the Swiss generated value will be intrinsically expensive, it seems unlikely that even as much as 60% will actually be Swiss.

However I have visited several Swiss watch factories and can confirm that with many of the Hi end names a great deal of the components (the vast majority) are Swiss.
On the other hand I know a case making company here in Thailand who make all of Tag's cases, here in Thailand. Also there is still an ETA factory in Thailand, not sure yet exactly what they make.
It was quite some time ago that it was discovered that Omega bracelets were made in the majority in China.

That's the thing, most of the Geneva, Valle de Joux, etc, high end ones are mostly done there. Hence the low production and mostly hand made, because you have the parts done somewhere, but hand finished and assembled by a highly skilled + accordingly paid watchsmith in Switzerland.

On the other hand... Don't make me talk about Tag Heuer mate... Why would someone spend several thousand pounds on a Carrera is beyond me.

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
That's the thing, most of the Geneva, Valle de Joux, etc, high end ones are mostly done there. Hence the low production and mostly hand made, because you have the parts done somewhere, but hand finished and assembled by a highly skilled + accordingly paid watchsmith in Switzerland.

On the other hand... Don't make me talk about Tag Heuer mate... Why would someone spend several thousand pounds on a Carrera is beyond me.

And beyond me too.

machim

19/7/17
This thread can go longer.

But after all here are couple reason for me “why go gen”

1. For me, as a guy, the most “jewelry” type of thing I would like to buy is watch. And if you want to buy something as sentiment for me is watch. You can’t just buy rep for sentiment. It makes no sense.

2. There are gen watches that rep can’t ever good enough.

I think, I would only need 1 gen watch which I like.

Then enjoy all my rep/franken as a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lcsrep11

lcsrep11

19/8/17
RepJelly LOL please find me a Nautilus for $34k! More like $45k for white dial and $55k for blue dial!

Exactly !! Someones been asleep for a few years i think.

lcsrep11

19/8/17
I must have missed the bit where I ‘slagged Rolex off’ care to highlight it for me? Also, where I said they weren’t worth the money?

Oh, wait - I didn’t say either ...

Sorry.....I wasn't aware I was referring to you ??? Is your name "a lot of people" ?

Oh wait...I never mentioned your name....

I never referred to you or mentioned you. Read the post again.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...96/item/116606

Theres ya premium pal....sip up.

Granted watchfinder are expinsive here in the UK but seriously its hard to find a nautilus for £35k pounds no chance for $35k dollars. Good luck with that.

There you go: according to Google this one was sold on 22.07.2018 for 28.995,00 £

https://www.xupes.com/watches/produ...ppe/nautilus-stainless-steel-5711-1a-010.html

I just searched "nautilus 5711 price" an this popped up on the first page of results.

But this is beside my point: I was focusing on the fact that Rolex is severely overpriced from the moment it leaves the factory, much more than any other watch brand out there, and you are just trying to divert the attention from this simple, indisputable fact.

A Rolex watch is exactly like a diamond from De Beers, as someone intelligently pointed out before. The only difference is that those buying diamonds would never think about re-selling an engagement ring and therefore remain blissfully ignorant of having been duped. You on the other side (alongside all other "investors") see the secondary market go up and don't realize you are sitting on a huge bubble about to burst.

lcsrep11

19/8/17
There you go: according to Google this one was sold on 22.07.2018 for 28.995,00 £

https://www.xupes.com/watches/produc...11-1a-010.html

I just searched "nautilus 5711 price" an this popped up on the first page of results.

But this is beside my point: I was focusing on the fact that Rolex is severely overpriced from the moment it leaves the factory, much more than any other watch brand out there, and you are just trying to divert the attention from this simple, indisputable fact.

A Rolex watch is exactly like a diamond from De Beers, as someone intelligently pointed out before. The only difference is that those buying diamonds would never think about re-selling an engagement ring and therefore remain blissfully ignorant of having been duped. You on the other side (alongside all other "investors") see the secondary market go up and don't realize you are sitting on a huge bubble about to burst.

No where on that page as far as I can see does it give the sold price it says SOLD and the RRP. £19,960 not a mention of what it sold for.

FYI....I also never claimed to be an investor as I stated in many previous comments. I've been fortunate to have a couple of pieces that have gone up in value considerably, if you care to read the thread you would know this before jumping to conclusions about me as a person of whom you know absolutely nothing about. I would never buy a ring from De Beers either. I purchased my wife's wedding and engagement rings from the gold and diamond park in Dubai for around a quarter of their UK accredited insurance valuation and what you could purchase them in a jewellers here. In essence we got a free holiday, great experience designing the ring and selecting stones and also a lot of change left out of what they should have cost me here in the UK.

Finally please explain to me how i'm going to get caught up in any bubble when my 116520 black face daytona cost me £6000 and my GMT Master ii 16710 cost me nothing as it was a gift from a company that i used to work for. In 2005/6 when I was gifted the watch it cost them £2900 pre owned with box and papers. Both watches are now discontinued so numbers naturally will be dwindling over time. Maybe your just hoping it's a bubble and will burst i don't know. Anyway ill be just fine thank you.

Last edited: