• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why does everyone say "mate"?

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
Local forum over at my side here, many would like to call one another "bro" as a friendly way and i use to address someone as bro too. But ever since i been more frequent to this forum, i have also change the word from bro to mate.:lol:

Xtian

Renowned Member
13/4/12
Just curious. A funny little observation I notice more as I spend way too much time here.

Feels like everyone I talk to is somewhere in Europe. But even when I talk with CONUS members, "mate" is throw around quite a bit.

Is it just a thing we do here?

not sure why home skillet:maty:

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Mate should only be used by the Brits and the Aussies. Americans should use buddy, pal or sir.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
FYI

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuPH2A7PWOA"]RIGHT SAID FRED - YOU'RE MY MATE - ACOUSTIC - NIGHT OF THE LIVING FRED TOUR | OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO - YouTube[/ame]

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
spent some time down unda, mate became part of my language...try to blend in with them down there.

oh and listening to bbc.co.uk/1xtra on a regular got me on the UK mate

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
...... maybe you mis"heard" it?

:D

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNiR5ZTb_MA[/AME]

Crappymonkey

Renowned Member
17/9/12
I thought it was because we're the pirates of the watch universe

arrrr-matey.jpg

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Local forum over at my side here, many would like to call one another "bro" as a friendly way and i use to address someone as bro too. But ever since i been more frequent to this forum, i have also change the word from bro to mate.:lol:

Ever since the Captain Morgan fiasco "bro" is a no no. ;)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
yeah, "bro" tends to ring alarm bells ya don't wanna ring these days.

carlton

2/10/11
Ever since the Captain Morgan fiasco "bro" is a no no. ;)

Captain Morgan? Not sure what have happen but i think should be some big issue........

Ever since i have been more active on here, i have notice that bro is not commonly use so i change myself to follow the culture of using mate or buddy.:maty:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Do a search on Maugomez and Captain Morgan, discover you will.

carlton

2/10/11
Do a search on Maugomez and Captain Morgan, discover you will.

Wow..... sounds like someone who scam others for a living, waking up everyday thinking about how to scam for money.

Hopefully we won't see people like him again here.

CoolRob

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/10
I was wondering the same thing and though it maybe something from Australia. Now I know and I can say it with confident: GOOD DAY MAAATE :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Wow..... sounds like someone who scam others for a living, waking up everyday thinking about how to scam for money.

Hopefully we won't see people like him again here.

He's been discovered and removed a half dozen times since then, he doesn't
give up easy our Cap'n Morgan and neither do four or five other serial scammers. The price of a scammer free forum is indeed eternal vigilance and the RWI Team put a lot of work into keeping these asshats out.