• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why choose expensive automatics over quartz?

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
the only quartz in my collection...
2010-04-21164140.jpg

2010-04-21164156.jpg

i buy gens and reps for a few reasons...

1. overall Looks (style)

2. the automatic movements, all of them...

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
The mechanical movements are more interesting to me. They are cool little machines.

I am actually surprised that more people did not comment on Tommyboys statement. In my job I work with a lot of people with gen watches. Of course there are a few that are wearing them just because they can afford it, but every one of the guys you would call enthusiasts are attracted to watches because of what amazing little machines they are. That is what attracted me originally. For gear heads and gadget guys I would have thought this would have been the most common appeal.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I am actually surprised that more people did not comment on Tommyboys statement. In my job I work with a lot of people with gen watches. Of course there are a few that are wearing them just because they can afford it, but every one of the guys you would call enthusiasts are attracted to watches because of what amazing little machines they are. That is what attracted me originally. For gear heads and gadget guys I would have thought this would have been the most common appeal.

I agree with you and tommyboy brtelec but this is the rep game, not the gen game!...ultimate priority in the rep game is getting aesthetics correct?(I assume this is why for years on all rep sites every number/detail on the dial is analysed over and over again until we get something from the factories that closely 'resembles' the real deal!

Lets face it the regardless of how good ETA 2824 or A7750 is in our reps movement is never going to be equal to say a heavily modified inhouse. Thats why I find it a little surprising when we get auto snobs getting a little overly sentimental about a bloody off the shelve clone and then turn their nose up at quartz reps.

We all appreciate mechanical here but these aren't Patak calibre 89's we are talking about. Not trying to be argumentative but just saying that quartz has its place in the gen game and at least should have in the rep game...It may not cut it in 5K plus gen watches but that doesnt mean I'm going to look down on quartz because it is 'soulless'!

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I do not remember at any point even mentioning quartz watches. The question was why choose an automatic over quartz. Not, why don't you like quartz watches. I own quartz watches and they have their place. I prefer autos because whether it is an asian 21j or a Patek Phillipe. They are amazing works of miniture engineering. Do not put words in my mouth.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I didn't put words in your mouth! I am answering to the thread and having a little stab at those that look down on quartz in reps because it is ticking when there are bigger flaws in that rep that need addressing. I see it alot in the rep game and to me it comes across as a little ironic and hypocritical at the same time. We all appreciate mechanicals....most of mine are auto rep and gen. It's just a pity that factories concentrate on getting the A7750 in there and then do an inferior finished/detailed quartz version when it could easily be equal in finish to the auto. It not because there isn't any demand either!?!?

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Well from the factory point of view it has nothing to do with demand. The factory knows that if they produce a really good rep with a quartz movement it will cut into their auto sales. Why would they want to offer that option when they know the hard core rep people will continue paying top dollar for the autos. Does not make sense from their point of view, as soon as they can hold the same profit margin on quartz you will see a flood of top end reps in quartz.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Well thats exactly what I'm getting at! And you are right! It comes down to money and what's good for them rather than what is good for rep buyers!....the ability to product a quartz rep equal in finish to the a7750s is there but as long as people keep paying 3/4/5 times as much for the a7750 they are more than happy to oblige! Its a pity! the odd few quartz with decent finishing get through the net and on to the market but not nearly enough unfortunatly!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Ok. Now we've veered to "why aren't there more and better quartz reps?"
The answer is because by and large the gen watches people want but can't afford are auto or mechanical.
And because the movements are so different, you often need different hands, dials, and even cases for each movement.
Since they know 95% of the buyers will want the gen-like movement, they don't put much effort into the quartz ones.
Why do people buy mechanical reps? Because Rolex, Panerai, JLC, AP, etc don't tic.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I would say 95% of buyers want pefect pearl and decent lume :)
Sure auto is where its at but many (alot more than 5%) would want and would buy decently finished quartz chrono equal aesthetically to the auto if it were available at say half or less than half the auto price? The factories are not bothered because the money is in a7750.

Sure the sweeping is very important on a plain jane non chrono, but not the ultimate attraction on a small hand on a chronograph.

If we are getting into frankening thats a different ball game but in fairness not too many rep buyers do...they want an out of the box almost equal looking to gen rep

brtelec

Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I do not think the biggest detractor in a quartz chrono is the second hand, most people can not see it because of the size. the real problem with most of them is the subdial spacing.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Any watch costing more than 25 bucks is either a tool watch or jewelry, IMO. Rep or gen, no matter.

Just my two cents.

(Said the guy with a bunch of watches costing much more than $25, LOL)

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Sure. Who wants crappy tools!

The fit, quality of materials and QC are worth paying for when you need them!

But sometimes a trip to Harbor Freight will do the trick. My digital calipers came from there. Sixteen bucks, I think. Heckuva deal!

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
I've come to appreciate quartz more and more ever since getting into this hobby. They keep running. I like smooth sweep also although there's a tradeoff in having to wind it. So basically I like both fairly equally. It's just too bad they don't make a decent Omega SMP Pierce Brosnan 007 300M GoldenEye watch in Quartz. If they made an ultimate of that, I'd be the first one to place an order. I think automatic is way overdone in that 300M to be honest. My opinion. I held the black gen at the AD and it was like being a kid in a candy factory. It's a very nice piece. Feels almost like a toy. I like it.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Automatics are, as donaldejose mentioned, works of art. They are a refinement of a craft that has, at it's core, remained unchanged for nearly 500 years. Quartz can keep banging away VERY reliably until you need a new battery but automatics require nuance. They are an extension of a man's (or woman's) character and they make a statement. James Bond, Steve McQueen, George Clooney, et al.; their watches are as much about their accomplishments and the cars they drove or the women they've pursued as the men themselves. Autos are just f-ing cool.
icon6.gif

Don't get me wrong, I do own quartz watches. Got a Maratac AQC, made by Timex of all damned things. I've got a CWC Special Boat Service diver. It's a military issue watch made in the UK. Super reliable, goes years without a battery change and costs about $600. In fact, it replaced the Rolex sub back in the early 80's as the British issue watch. I should also note that autos were superseded by quartz as those changes were being made. Go figure. Back then the Rolex sub cost the same to, until the yuppies started driving the price up. And that my friends is one of the reasons why we have this collective mind-trust of ours.