• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why choose expensive automatics over quartz?

appled

Known Member
26/8/10
I may be wrong (just ask the wife) but doesn't the Tag Indy 500 have a quartx movement with a sweeping (not tic-tic-tic) seconds hand?

Fortey

21/7/10
I may be wrong (just ask the wife) but doesn't the Tag Indy 500 have a quartx movement with a sweeping (not tic-tic-tic) seconds hand?

I also thought there were quartz movements with sweeping hands, but if there are I have no idea why anyone would make a quartz without it. Please rep makers, use these as standard from now on..

/end pissing in wind

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I think the Indy 500 tics.
The most common sweeping quartz found these days is in the Bulova Accutron Precision line. They advertise it as the most accurate movement in the world. Who knows...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The mechanical movements are more interesting to me. They are cool little machines.

That is a very vague and personal statement on my part. A quartz powered movement is a machine, too. But it's the equivalent of a modern subway as compared to, I don't know, maybe a steam locomotive. I find the latter to be more appealing, even though both are useful.

Since I rarely wear the same watch on two consecutive days, its accuracy is not important.

I use one of my two quartz watches (a Tissot T-Touch in this case, with no center seconds hand) to indicate the time and date when I set my chosen mechanical watch each morning.

Just my $0.02 USD.

MJL

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/5/10
I own 2 quartz watches, all the rest are mechanical, and most future watch purchases by me will be mechanical. I absolutely can't stand a one-tick-per-second second hand. I think it looks jerky and incredibly cheap, especially on an expensive watch. Plus, I don't like changing batteries. Plus, I prefer gears and springs to power my watch - it just has a much larger cool factor.

There are exceptions to my preference for low tech though - The Bulova Accutron (1962-1977 anyway) is electronic but not quartz, and has a perfect sweeping hand. I believe only with super high speed film can one see it ticking.

YouTube - 1963 Bulova Accutron Spaceview Wristwatch

The Rolex 5100 was a quartz movement. I forget exactly when they made these.

YouTube - Rolex 5100 sweep second

And, if I had the money for a 69 Camaro, no way could I have a sputtering carburetor under the hood - I'd have to go with EFI and OBDII or a Duramax.

silvercat

Horology Curious
6/6/09
The reason why I like automatic watches is because.... I'm too poor to afford the batteries. :)

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
1. For me, if a nuclear bomb went off over my head, I'll be able to tell time much longer than the quartz watch wearers. I won't be as accurate, but at that point, does it really matter?

2. It gives me a reason to wake up every day. If I don't provide the energy to keep it going, who will? Nobody in my house.

This explains the paranoia we all share....

Watch and learn.... watch and learn.

:popcorn:

Jeez ThinkBachs, I'd be looking to invest in some auto-winders for my Reps if I were you.:rotors:

Enjoyed the vids, thanks you.

Good luck, Phil

=

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
My 2 cents are, on top of the sweep of the seconds hand, that an automatic just feels right on the wrist. The rotor moving its weight around makes the watch feel a little bit like it is alive.

Having said that, I buy what I can afford which are either 21js or quartz's, and given my predilection for chrono's, I gravitate towards quartz versions. They replicate the appearance better than a 21j with false subdials (1-7 for the day drives me crazy) and are reliable and cheap. I cant drop 200-400 on each rep that I want, so Ill be going 80-120 on several and maybe 250-300 on 1 or 2 special pieces.

I'd agree totally with this. There are some great quartz chrono reps about (not enough of them unfortunately) if you wade through the junk on the lower priced stuff they can be found. I think some who go dearer and get the a7750 version of certain watches like to convince themselves that they've got the superior finish aswell (most of the time its true). Although there are few gems around with same finishes as A7750 with a quartz soul inside and they can be built like a tank for 1/3 of the price. Its a pity the factories don't do it more often on chronos. The factories have a fascination with A7750 and chronos. If its uncomplicated its not too bad a movement but A7750 modified can be 'ticking' timebombs at a heafty cost to the rep buyer.

Also somebody mentioned a seamaster quartz....a decent seamaster quartz would've been a great rep but sadly it never materialised. There are also some lovely new seamaster aqua terra's out recently enough and sadly the factories don't want to know about replicating them properly, they'd be great candidates for a good quartz in them....its all PO this and PO that lately ;)

Also just to add I find it fairly funny when rep owners get purist critical about quartz, they are as annoying as gen snobs at times! I do realise we are all in it to get accurate replications as much as possible but quartz has its place or at least should have, its quite funny when 300 dollar rep owners look down on 120 dollar reps owners cos the small dial is ticking ;)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
if quartz watches could do sweeping seconds hands, we'd all own many more of them.
Here you go, all you nay-sayers:

champlain.jpg

Quartz accuracy and a perfectly smooth sweeping second hand. All for less than $500 WITH warranty, guaranteed water tight, QC, etc. Many models available.
16 beats per second (thats 57,600 vph) and accurate to +/- 10 seconds per YEAR.
A link to their page:
http://www.bulovaprecisionist.com/en

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Um,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBTXgksr4s&feature=fvsr"]YouTube - Grand Seiko : SPRING DRIVE[/ame]

granted, a LITTLE more than the Bulova, lol

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Um,
YouTube - Grand Seiko : SPRING DRIVE

granted, a LITTLE more than the Bulova, lol

Clever, but it is not a quartz movement.
This is an automatic mechanical movement which uses a very ingenious system of electro-magnets to control the release of the main spring, vs. using the standard escapement.
It is very clever and quite unique, but not quartz, which this thread is about.

Nash

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/10
Ive got 2 gen quartz SMP 300ms and yea it's great being able to just leave them because I honestly dont wear them anymore these days. The quartz gens are cheaper so there's more "prestige" in buying the mechanical.

It's something like 2.5 for a mechanic SMP vs 1.7 for a quartz SMP, they do look identical minus the "CHRONOMETER" label and no COSC certificate obviously, again the prestige.

There's no reason for the factories to make a rep of the gen quartz, they cant get the mechanical looking right anyway much less start selling a rep of the cheaper model no one would probably want.

As for quartz movt in watches that should be auto, ugh.

The Goldeneye watch was a genuine quartz SMP 300, none of the ones since have been though. Also you have watches like the Planet Ocean where the company just want to show off their movt's, they could do a cheaper quartz SMP PO 600m but what's in it for them?

It comes down to the Swiss companies don't want to sell cheaper quartz watches.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Ive got 2 gen quartz SMP 300ms and yea it's great being able to just leave them because I honestly dont wear them anymore these days. The quartz gens are cheaper so there's more "prestige" in buying the mechanical.

It's something like 2.5 for a mechanic SMP vs 1.7 for a quartz SMP, they do look identical minus the "CHRONOMETER" label and no COSC certificate obviously, again the prestige.

There's no reason for the factories to make a rep of the gen quartz, they cant get the mechanical looking right anyway much less start selling a rep of the cheaper model no one would probably want.

As for quartz movt in watches that should be auto, ugh.

The Goldeneye watch was a genuine quartz SMP 300, none of the ones since have been though. Also you have watches like the Planet Ocean where the company just want to show off their movt's, they could do a cheaper quartz SMP PO 600m but what's in it for them?

It comes down to the Swiss companies don't want to sell cheaper quartz watches.

The quartz gen smp has been probably the greatest 'beater' of the past 15 years...and was an absolutely enormous seller for omega...even for the 'purist' mechanical only buyers, many picked up one! They need at least one ultra reliable quartz to set all their mechanicals to! :D and many choose to stay with the brand. Anyway you can bet your ass that a quality rep of the smp would've sold enormously over the past 5 years, never has been one unfortunately.
You can't confuse what rep factories do with logic or sales potential...they are only getting around to a decent 42mm PO now after 5 years since the release of the gen PO. Sure there was a few other weak generation 42mm POs from the factories. The 4th gen came and they stopped producing it...even though demand was massive...no logic in what they do!

Sure we all get the fact that Swiss companies want to distance themselves from quartz for the most part. That's not under dispute, but is a big discussion probably bigger than we can get into here. Its fairly obvious that the domain of quality workmanship of complicated mechanicals is where the swiss companies want to position themselves. That's not to say that they all or almost all havent dabbled in quartz on one occasion or other and done well out of it. Don't under estimate the selling potential of quartz....It very nearly brought several massive swiss companies to their knees back in the 80's when they had to really examine their position in the market and where mechanicals where going in the future. Fortunately mechanicals will always be wanted otherwise we were very close to seeing the end of quite a few swiss companies!

"they cant get mechanical looking right anyway"

Most of the time agreed :D

"As for quartz movt in watches that should be auto, ugh."

Thats purely subjective, its a small ticking hand on Chronographs...not a big deal or massively noticeable...no worse than crap pearl/shoddy finishing/poor detailed dial/shiite lume etc...
A lot of people don't particularly want ten A7750 which basically are ticking timebombs...sometimes they can be ok after a service or you may just get lucky and have no bother out of the box....in general though, play with the chronos enough and it will fail!

"The Goldeneye watch was a genuine quartz SMP 300, none of the ones since have been though. Also you have watches like the Planet Ocean where the company just want to show off their movt's, they could do a cheaper quartz SMP PO 600m but what's in it for them?"

Haven't you seen any of the new black/blue bond quartz selling like hotcakes in the gen market...2254 with sword hands quartz.....absolutely huge demand for these both auto and quartz in the gen market! They are for a slightly different market than the PO. The PO rep doesn't need to be quartz as they can at least put a more reliable ETA/Asian 2824 in these. The chrono PO rep is another watch, not as in demand tbh! The truth is that the gen PO is being lined up as a direct competitor to the Rolex sub in the next few years...you can expect to see a price hike of about 2K on these and some new features such as liquid metal bezel and inhouse calibre 8500 movement becoming the norm....A quartz would not cut it in a direct competition obviously.