• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why choose expensive automatics over quartz?

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
I have a burning question:

Why do you guys bother with the expensive automatic watches? Surely the quartz is a better option (with the same high quality exterior) .... given that its less maintenance and most people wouldn't realise its a replica anyway?

Why do you go for the more expensive automatics?

All your reasons and explanaitions will be appreciated :)!

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
I can see you getting flamed for this but I see it as a valid question.

I have a 45mm PO quartz chrono and, if brutally honest, it's the most solid and trustworthy watch in my entire collection.

Do not dismiss quartz. As for the other question.......I've had a (good) drink so I'll let others answer.

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
One reason would be that quartz reps aren't available for most watches and the reps that do come in quartz usually aren't the quality of the better reps anyway.

The main reason though is that the high price gen watches aren't quartz either.
People who spend $5000+ on a watch (or people who buy a rep of a $5000+ watch) tend to equate high price with high quality and think of anything cheap as inferior.

Quartz is accurate and reliable but there's a lot of predjudice against quartz across the whole fine watch community rep or gen.
They see quartz as seen as cheap, factory produced modern technology as opposed to the fine craftsmanship of an expensive traditional timepiece.

You put this in the Omega section so it's interesting to note that Omega themselves make some very fine quartz Seamaster watches with the same quality as their automatics.
They are great for the general public that wants a quality watch and the accuracy and convenience of quartz and doesn't mind paying a little less for it.
But no-one makes a rep quartz Seamaster - you have to buy a gen if that's what you want.

JC7

15/6/10
tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic, tic

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
One reason would be that quartz reps aren't available for most watches and the reps that do come in quartz usually aren't the quality of the better reps anyway.

The main reason though is that the high price gen watches aren't quartz either.
People who spend $5000+ on a watch (or people who buy a rep of a $5000+ watch) tend to equate high price with high quality and think of anything cheap as inferior.

Quartz is accurate and reliable but there's a lot of predjudice against quartz across the whole fine watch community rep or gen.
They see quartz as seen as cheap, factory produced modern technology as opposed to the fine craftsmanship of an expensive traditional timepiece.

You put this in the Omega section so it's interesting to note that Omega themselves make some very fine quartz Seamaster watches with the same quality as their automatics.
They are great for the general public that wants a quality watch and the accuracy and convenience of quartz and doesn't mind paying a little less for it.
But no-one makes a rep quartz Seamaster - you have to buy a gen if that's what you want.

A big thank you for that response :) helped cleared things up.

I am looking for the omega seamaster UPO. Wouldnt mind if it were high quality quartz for less money.. as its also more convenient.

Auto's look classier though.

but as you said nobody makes them. :(

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
With regards to the omega PO replica.. is there a big difference in appearance and quality between the UPO and the standard $100 replicas? Apart from the automatic factor, I want to know how good the appearance of the watch is compared to the original.

Has anybody compared them?

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
One BIG valid visual reason. Other than that it is a matter of prejudice and bias. Quartz watches are better in many ways. But the high priced gens are automatic mechanical movements. Watch snobs have a bias in favor of mechanical movements as being more a work of art and a prejudice against quartz as "cheap." But the one real valid reason reps use automatic mechanical movements is because they are trying to replicate that "sweeping" second hand. A quartz second hand moves once each second. A mechanical second had moves from 5 yo 8 times each second creating the visual appearance of a "sweeping" movement as opposed to the quartz "jerking" movement. If you want your rep Rolex to look like a real Rolex the last thing you want to see is a jerking second hand. Same with all other reps of high ticket watches. I have always said it is ok to use a quartz movement in a rep chrono when the seconds are running in a small subdial because you won't see that jerking second hand as the first thing you notice when you look at the watch. But when the second hand is large it is a real visual distraction unless the gen was also quartz.

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
One BIG valid visual reason. Other than that it is a matter of prejudice and bias. Quartz watches are better in many ways. But the high priced gens are automatic mechanical movements. Watch snobs have a bias in favor of mechanical movements as being more a work of art and a prejudice against quartz as "cheap." But the one real valid reason reps use automatic mechanical movements is because they are trying to replicate that "sweeping" second hand. A quartz second hand moves once each second. A mechanical second had moves from 5 yo 8 times each second creating the visual appearance of a "sweeping" movement as opposed to the quartz "jerking" movement. If you want your rep Rolex to look like a real Rolex the last thing you want to see is a jerking second hand. Same with all other reps of high ticket watches. I have always said it is ok to use a quartz movement in a rep chrono when the seconds are running in a small subdial because you won't see that jerking second hand as the first thing you notice when you look at the watch. But when the second hand is large it is a real visual distraction unless the gen was also quartz.

+1 Chronos are a different animal.

MMs

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/10
if quartz watches could do sweeping seconds hands, we'd all own many more of them.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I love this question, and I think it is always valid for a new watch lover.

Personally, I really like (maybe even prefer) quartz. I have several gen and several rep quartz - probably about 60% of my collection are quartz.

It is such a personal choice. Much of it is based on passion for the history and design of an auto. For example, if you were a classic car guy - how could you have a '69 Camaro, '65 Corvette, Shelby Cobra, etc... without a carburetor.

Many people like autos for a similar reason. In the 70's people thought the quartz watch was going to totally replace the auto. I think many non-WIS are probably suprised at the new surge in auto watches. Even cheap gen makers are getting into it.

I guess it boils down to what you are looking for. Autos certainly have "heart and soul," but quartz have reliability, lower cost, and above all convenience.

I love them both equally for opposite reasons.

jkwhyd

30/5/07
The Bulova Precisionist watches have sweeping second hands and the quartz movement is accurate to ten seconds a year!

jk

ck6459

11/9/10
I have a burning question:

Why do you guys bother with the expensive automatic watches? Surely the quartz is a better option (with the same high quality exterior) .... given that its less maintenance and most people wouldn't realise its a replica anyway?

Why do you go for the more expensive automatics?

All your reasons and explanaitions will be appreciated :)!
As for me, the smooth sweeping second hand of a automatic watch make the watch look more elegant as compare to a quartz movement which tick every second. It does not required any battery. If you have a look at the gen watch, the automatic version is always more expensive than the quartz version, sometimes up to a couple thousand dollars.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
1. For me, if a nuclear bomb went off over my head, I'll be able to tell time much longer than the quartz watch wearers. I won't be as accurate, but at that point, does it really matter?

2. It gives me a reason to wake up every day. If I don't provide the energy to keep it going, who will? Nobody in my house.

This explains the paranoia we all share....

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGHVBXyxCU[/AME]

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgrq200gkg[/AME]

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBoBDU-SrUU[/AME]

Watch and learn.... watch and learn.

:popcorn:

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
thanks all of you for your input :)

Can I just confirm that there is no quartz version of the Omega UPO?

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
My 2 cents are, on top of the sweep of the seconds hand, that an automatic just feels right on the wrist. The rotor moving its weight around makes the watch feel a little bit like it is alive.

Having said that, I buy what I can afford which are either 21js or quartz's, and given my predilection for chrono's, I gravitate towards quartz versions. They replicate the appearance better than a 21j with false subdials (1-7 for the day drives me crazy) and are reliable and cheap. I cant drop 200-400 on each rep that I want, so Ill be going 80-120 on several and maybe 250-300 on 1 or 2 special pieces.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I love this question, and I think it is always valid for a new watch lover. Much of it is based on passion for the history and design of an auto. For example, if you were a classic car guy - how could you have a '69 Camaro, '65 Corvette, Shelby Cobra, etc... without a carburetor.

A better example would be to take a 69 Camaro and hybrid it out like a Prius. :)

69 Camero, Small Block, naturally aspirated or the same model with Prius Guts.

Well since your in the Omega section, I would admit, the SMP quartz would be a top notch watch to have. ;) Of course they are now claiming 7 -10 years for a service on the co-axial so... :thinking: How many batteries can you use in 10 years? :)

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
A better example would be to take a 69 Camaro and hybrid it out like a Prius. :)

69 Camero, Small Block, naturally aspirated or the same model with Prius Guts.

:rofl: :rofl: Perfectly said.....

Well since your in the Omega section, I would admit, the SMP quartz would be a top notch watch to have. ;)

+1

I have the 2264 and a Black Bond with the reps of both in auto. I must say, I love being able to pick them up and put one on without any winding, date change, etc... .

Yes.....I'll admit it..... I LOVE QUARTZ...... whew....that felt goooooddd.