• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which watches earn you the most complements?

Nraphael

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/15
Which watch gets you the most complements? Extra points if you break it down into: office, bar and weekend casual.

I think context is critical with watches. The blancpain FF is impressive but is ott in the office (imagine a uboat... Oh man). Mont Blanc is sleek and professional but isn't appropriate for the beach.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Most people never notice your watch. But if they do its usually a compliment. But its rare that someone notices. Unless they are a watch person too. Pretty much most well made good quality rep would get you a compliment if someone does happen to notice. I've probably got the most compliments on my date just because that's what I've mostly worn for the past 25 years or so until I joined here and discovered a whole new world.

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
Big watches get noticed and complimented. My JSAR gets noticed the most. My gen PO doesn't get a second look. Rolex probably gets the second most just because someone sees the name.

Matt1989

20/2/15
I find that lots of people have sly glances at your watch, not many say anything but I think about 50% of guys have a look.

I used to manage a workshop in a very expensive area, 1/20 guys would comment "nice watch" when I was wearing my beater Tissot prc200. A conversation about how well it withstood workshop life would usually follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt1989

20/2/15
6 years of workshop abuse, 5 broken pins, ss still looks 90% from arms length and not one mark on the crystal!

c9eb8363b3bb3712be5a60bda6c5786b.jpg

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Only three times have I gotten random compliments about a watch. All three are no longer in my watch box. Go figure. :D

A two-tone Invicta Sub wanna be, A Seamaster 50th Anniversary, and a Hanhart 1939 fliegerchronograph, now in the capable hands of LHOOQ.

It's pretty rare that anybody looks at and comments on watches, based on my experience and the discussions I've read here and on the gen forums.

When you make statements like "context is important" you are talking to a small group of watch enthusiasts. Probably best not to expect too much horological attention from the unwashed masses. ;)

egroegart

1/7/13
Agreed. And that's the exact experience I've had too. Don't expect anyone to notice because its rare.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Was told I was gonna have my arm cut off when I was wearing a yellow gold day date. Recently got a compliment on a Pam but my IWC big pilot got the most attention.

D

d4m.test

Out of all of my watches - strangely or not - only 2 ever got noticed and commented/asked upon a lot:

by men: Bond Seamaster

1024_N9783cr.jpg

by women: Datejust II
DD_0464c.jpg

the Blackbay rarely catches a look but was never asked about it, everything else just seems non-existant:)

TUD_3373.jpg

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Yep I always admired that Waltham. It would be very hard for me to let that one go, a one of a kind watch and one that should get noticed.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
It went to a great home! I already ordered up the parts to make a couple more!

D

d4m.test

These Walthams in a casing with cg are simply gorgeous. Some of the most interesting and attractive transformations I have seen. They are just amazingly beautiful:)

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
My boy...always got the shit...nice!

Jacket ain't bad either.

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
I'd say the only one of mine that has captured any compliments has been my Explorer II polar face. I wear it to work a lot (I sell cars) and have had two customers comment on it. Both said they would buy the car if I threw the watch in. Kinda laughed a bit inside.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
I'd say the only one of mine that has captured any compliments has been my Explorer II polar face. I wear it to work a lot (I sell cars) and have had two customers comment on it. Both said they would buy the car if I threw the watch in. Kinda laughed a bit inside.

The person who told me I was gonna get my arm cut off was a customer buying a car. I stopped wearing the day date to work after that.