• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which, if any, parts cannot be replaced with gen counterparts in an APSF Royal Oak 15400?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Forgive my inexperience with watchmaking terminology. I think the actual watchmaking term is Date Driving Wheel.
Nothing to forgive. @j21 can be really annoying but he’s a dear friend and as usual he’s right.

The instant date change mod consists of 3 parts which can be ordered and installed in any clone 3120 movement to create the intended eponymous effect.

• Haha
Reactions: j21 and wherewatch

wherewatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/2/24
I think you have already received replies pertaining to “visually gen” aspects of the build. It’s subjective.
Also your conclusion isn’t correct. The balance wheel of the gen and rep still looks different and if you know what you’re looking for you can see it at a glance. Its best you invest in a gen movement if you’re after both aesthetically accuracy and reliable functionality. It’ll save you a lot of headache down the road.
Deep down, I know you're right about buying the gen but I don't want to believe it. Lol.

I know the plate and bridges aren't the only visually noticeable parts. That's why I mentioned
...aside from the rotor and some wheels, these are pretty much the only parts visible from the caseback.

in my initial conclusion (which may also be incorrect terminology, again please forgive my inexperience).

I guess I can settle for a happiness tier right below gen, which is getting a good rep with the gen parts you recommended. Getting the hands is going to be a pain though.

wherewatch

15/2/24
Nothing to forgive. @j21 can be really annoying but he’s a dear friend and as usual he’s right.

The instant date change mod consists of 3 parts which can be ordered and installed in any clone 3120 movement to create the intended eponymous effect.
Haha you two go back?

And neat! If I may trouble you for yet more of your wisdom and patience, would you happen to know where those 3 parts can be sourced from?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Haha you two go back?

And neat! If I may trouble you for yet more of your wisdom and patience, would you happen to know where those 3 parts can be sourced from?
Yes. I stole his pasta once and he has yet to forgive me totally. I mean surely you would have thought that 1 of the 5 plates which he was tucking into wasn’t unreasonable 😆

I can order the parts if required. Just PM me. And then wait for my response. I’m coincidentally having pasta for lunch (not @j21 ’s this time)

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
4/5 gen bridge/plate parts ordered.

I am aware of a mod that @legend has successfully performed, but I confirmed that the gen instant date change wheel is not compatible with this rep via @j21. Reference linked below:

There is no need to consider the gen part for the quick date change no matter if it does or doesn't fit

Thankfully there is a aftermarket part now that gives you the instant date change

Legend makes this modification all the time so he is the one to contact to make it happen

Well in my defence, Legend chose "coincidentally" to eat the crab pasta and not from the pesto ones, so yes forgive me that I got mad...

wherewatch

15/2/24
Yes. I stole his pasta once and he has yet to forgive me totally. I mean surely you would have thought that 1 of the 5 plates which he was tucking into wasn’t unreasonable 😆

I can order the parts if required. Just PM me. And then wait for my response. I’m coincidentally having pasta for lunch (not @j21’s this time)
I probably would have indeed thought the same based on that context. Lol. I bet that made @j21...crabby.

I think I'll go to bed now. Just PM'd @legend for the parts. Thanks again!

• Love
Reactions: j21

wherewatch

15/2/24
UPDATE for those following. I have decided to address the parts that are probably the most immediate tells with the watch on the wrist. In addition to the instant date change mod parts discussed, I have sourced the following gen parts:
  • Black Dial
  • Hands
  • Date Wheel
After those parts are swapped, the next step is to get this watch refinished. That will probably be a comfortable stopping point for a good long while, because I will likely have paid less than $5k for a watch that when worn looks close enough the gen which currently goes for at least $30k.

Huge thanks to @legend, who after getting to know better I have come to respect not just as a watch expert, but a friend.

wherewatch

15/2/24
Was disappointed in QC pics received today. Multiple indices were not straight. I know I plan to replace the dial, but I would like to keep the old dial should I ever want a backup, to sell it, or use it for another project.

wherewatch

15/2/24
They fixed the 9 o'clock marker but the 12 o'clock is still crooked! Hopefully the third time's the charm.

wherewatch

15/2/24
Accepted QC and received delivery today. Pics do not do it justice, but I did my best to capture the absolute majesty of the way the light simply glides on the dial with my smartphone camera.

If this is how it looks on a non-gen dial, I cannot begin to fathom how amazing the gen sunburst must be!

Reactions: grillbrill

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21
stunning!

take it from me, do not chase the details. It is a never ending cycle. Enjoy the watch !

99.5% of people won't notice the accuracy of the dial, hands, etc etc :ROFLMAO:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Accepted QC and received delivery today. Pics do not do it justice, but I did my best to capture the absolute majesty of the way the light simply glides on the dial with my smartphone camera.

If this is how it looks on a non-gen dial, I cannot begin to fathom how amazing the gen sunburst must be!

The rep dial is very different. The size and shape of the raised tapisseries are different to begin with. Having said that, I think that the dial color and finish are lovely and in real life the watch will look good.
There’s no need to compare the rep and gen dials, as the prices of the watches are vastly different. There is a lot of watch to enjoy for the price you paid for this one and you definitely have a winner on the wrist. Congrats.

Reactions: GeneralRep