• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Where to get an ETA 2824-2 date disc with serif font (Tudor)

Don_Draper419

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/21
I'm doing a Tudor 79090 Submariner build. I own a genuine 1988 Tudor Prince Oysterdate that I'm harvesting the movement from, but while the date disc has the correct serif font, it is from a linen dial watch and the date disc is champagne in color.

I've spent the last hour searching the internet and I can't find anything. Nearly all of the date discs out there have non-serif fonts as that is the standard ETA font. I've found date discs that have serif 1's but it's not the proper font and only the 1's appear to have serifs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don_Draper419

14/1/21
Sweetness. I'm really looking forward to this build. I have everything on the way except the bracelet, which I still need to source. Since I know I have non-Tudor bracelets that will work I think I'm going to wait until everything is put together. If it looks as good as I hope, I'll probably spring for a genuine bracelet.

jp3007_1

Supporter
Certified
17/10/18
So start sharing some pictures then, mate!

Don_Draper419

14/1/21
Just picked up a viet case from bivintage on ebay

That's the same vendor I used for the case I have on order. Except I'm doing blue.

Have you by any chance water pressure tested the case? I'm hoping I can get mine water safe but will not be surprised if it's a no go.

Iceberg99

Supporter
Certified
10/9/19
I only just ordered the case yesterday, so Im unsure, what are you planning for the rest of the build? Im going for top grade eta 2824, yuki dial, just order tudor engraved movt rotor, and bracelet from raffles, and I have faded a bezel insert already and hands from ebay too

Don_Draper419

14/1/21
I only just ordered the case yesterday, so Im unsure, what are you planning for the rest of the build? Im going for top grade eta 2824, yuki dial, just order tudor engraved movt rotor, and bracelet from raffles, and I have faded a bezel insert already and hands from ebay too

Movement is a Tudor/ETA 2824-2 out of a 1988 Tudor Prince Oysterdate I bought several years ago. It has the Tudor rotor. I'm certain it would have been the highest grade ETA offered in 1988.

Hands and dial from Phong.

Bracelet from Raffles. However, if the build becomes a daily wear watch for me (and I hope it will be), I will order a new 93150 Tudor bracelet from my Tudor AD. It's $725 so I will only do it if the build comes out perfect and it becomes my primary watch.

I'm going to stick with the bivintage bezel insert at first. But may switch it out later.

Iceberg99

Supporter
Certified
10/9/19
Movement is a Tudor/ETA 2824-2 out of a 1988 Tudor Prince Oysterdate I bought several years ago. It has the Tudor rotor. I'm certain it would have been the highest grade ETA offered in 1988.

Hands and dial from Phong.

Bracelet from Raffles. However, if the build becomes a daily wear watch for me (and I hope it will be), I will order a new 93150 Tudor bracelet from my Tudor AD. It's $725 so I will only do it if the build comes out perfect and it becomes my primary watch.

I'm going to stick with the bivintage bezel insert at first. But may switch it out later.
My bezel is very hard to move and my bezel insert popped out and somehow no longer fits in the bezel did you have any of these issues?

nickelodeon

DIY and vintage enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
5/4/22
I'm doing a similar build, based on the viet case from bivintage. Thanks for the datedisc link, very useful. How are your builds going? I need to wait some time for the parts to arrive. Will update once I have them in hand.

dax007

12/4/23
Usa
I envy you guys for starting these TUDOR projects! I would love to try but i have to many hand issues...
I did order a complete 79090 build from Bivintage.. It was just shipped.. I will post pictures when i get it.. My only complaint is
they would not source a GEN SWISS 2824 vs using a rep 2824.. Also limited in bezel inserts. I wanted a more gen like
insert.. I will prob send to yodog after a while for a engine swap and new insert if i decide to make it my daily
wear... PICS will be posted soon!!

Iceberg99

Supporter
Certified
10/9/19
I'm doing a similar build, based on the viet case from bivintage. Thanks for the datedisc link, very useful. How are your builds going? I need to wait some time for the parts to arrive. Will update once I have them in hand.
I haven’t made any progress in fact im planning to sell all the parts cheap atm

jp3007_1

Supporter
Certified
17/10/18
I haven’t made any progress in fact im planning to sell all the parts cheap atm
Can you send me a DM with the parts you're selling? Maybe there's something I could be interested in. My 79090 build is close to completion, but having some spare parts can never hurt