• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

***What Patek Philippe do you have on your wrist today? PP Picture thread***

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
I wish they’d give this watch another try, I love the 5980 so much but even modded it just falls short of being good enough for me. The colour is the main bugbear, and should be sunburst!

Come on factories!!!

DC

to be very honest, after wearing the gen for a good few hours although not able to compare them side by side the rep colour is really not bad but room for improvement for sure.

The sunburst is a main tell, but its really not that noticeable on your wrist.

And the awkward greenish tint you can only see it in certain lighting, let me try to get my hands on the gen again soon and do a side by side.

Last edited:

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
vqVHrLD.jpg

Reactions: theREALgoat

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I like that 5370..I just wish the factory would fix the 8 & 4 markers.

When you say “fix them” I assume you mean get rid of them, since the gen doesn’t have them! But that’s coz the subdials are lower on the gen... so actually it’s the subdials they’d need to fix!

DC

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
That is proper nice, is this V1 or V2 (undecorated or decorated movement)?

DC

V1 undeco, same as yours. You should get the big sec hand painted, it transforms the whole watch more than you think.

You need to do a double take to make sure its a 5980 rep don't you? lol

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
V1 undeco, same as yours. You should get the big sec hand painted, it transforms the whole watch more than you think.

You need to do a double take to make sure its a 5980 rep don't you? lol

Unfortunately I sold my 5980 quite a while ago! The main tell is the dial isn’t sunburst like gen, but it’s pretty good other that!

DC

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
Unfortunately I sold my 5980 quite a while ago! The main tell is the dial isn’t sunburst like gen, but it’s pretty good other that!

DC

Yeah but tbh i think unless you own the gen blue dial specifically, i don't think its a one glance tell. Plus the crystal is reflective.

I was on a poker table with a gen owner of the 5980R-001 just this last week (not on his wrist at the time) and he complemented my watch lol, didn't think he knew that its a rep.

Cristobal

Renowned Member
10/6/15
When you say “fix them” I assume you mean get rid of them, since the gen doesn’t have them! But that’s coz the subdials are lower on the gen... so actually it’s the subdials they’d need to fix!

DC

Yea I meant get rid of the 8 & 4 or like you said lower the subdials. I would pull the trigger quick if they did that.