• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What languages do you speak?

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
My first language was Taiwanese, but I lost most of it when I started speaking English for school. I grew up in the midwest where Chinese schools did not exist as on the coasts. My mother tried to teach Chinese to my sister and me but we were pretty stubborn about it. As a result, our Mandarin is such that we are, stlil today, the shame of our family. :) Mind you, my experience is that of the current generation, a lot of our adolescents don't even speak English and it's their only language.

So my English is my only fluent language. I can get by on limited Mandarin and even more limited Taiwanese. People that are fluent in multiple languages always fascinate me to no end.

So which of you out there are multilingual?

Cloudhopper

7/6/09
English, french and german.
Dutch only passive(listening and reading), but i'm trying to learn to speak.

Would love to learn arabic or mandarin, but not to let anyone know :D

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Other than my butchery of the English language, I was pretty fluent in German when I was living there 26+ years ago. I speak oilfield Spanish, basically a very bad form of ghetto Mexican Spanish. ( mostly cursing and crane signals ) :D

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Foul and gibberish...oh and the Queens English but with a dialect not dissimilar to The Beatles... :lol:

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
English, Mandarin and some mandarin dialects like hokkien and teochew.
I can speak some malay and I learnt french in university, but forgotten most of it :)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
German, English and I get get around with Italiano... :D

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. I grew up in a place where languages really mattered... I hated it as a kid, of course!

BOSS

Renowned Member
29/10/06
Dutch, English (my English teacher would not agree and call it American), a little German and French.
On top of that a little restaurant Spanish and Greek and some really bad words in Swedish......

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
rooster133 said:
English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. I grew up in a place where languages really mattered... I hated it as a kid, of course!

Ooh, now I know whom I want to take with me if I ever get to spend any time in Europe. I might even consider sending you that nude mods poster that you're always bugging me about. Really, the problem is getting all of the mods together TO take a naked mods poster. :)

Positive

Known Member
3/3/09
I'm an English teacher who lives in Ireland and spend a lot of my time teaching English as an additional language to students from Eastern Europe. As a result I speak some Irish, French, Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, Hungarian and Serbian. English, Irish, French and Polish would be my strongest.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
It seems we all speak English to some extent here :)
That's the foreign language I practice most in my job.
I'm trying to keep a good level of German (I live 5 km from the border), and also practice it daily, although not as well as English.
My native language is French.
I've some basic level in italian (my father's language) but never really developped the skills (learnt it late at the university, and no practice at all)

I'd love to learn Spanish.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
ahw676 said:
rooster133 said:

Ooh, now I know whom I want to take with me if I ever get to spend any time in Europe. I might even consider sending you that nude mods poster that you're always bugging me about. Really, the problem is getting all of the mods together TO take a naked mods poster. :)

Well, these days as long as you know English you can get around pretty much anywhere in Europe, which is kind of good and sad at the same time. As for the poster, I said it before and I'll say it again. As long as it's the one with Sillix and the coconuts, you don't have to get all the mods together for it... Just one or two of them will do. ;)

Cloudhopper

7/6/09
guru said:
why is that?

The polish are the largest "minority" here in Ireland, i heard estimates as high as 500.000 polish in Ireland (that would be about 10% of the overall population). But it's said to be on the decline atm.

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
My first language was German..
did not speak a word of english until I was 8 years old..
now I don't speak a word of German ...
pff..

Anyways other then English.
I can speak the queens English..

speak w/ either an Irish or Scottish accent and broken English giving the effect of being a foreigner... works well for night clubs...

also can do a pretty good Portuguese, Indian, Italian and Japanese accents.
again pair that with poor English and I can pass it off pretty well. ...
until of course I meet someone who can actually speak the language
:lol:

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Pix said:
It seems we all speak English to some extent here :)

Well, I think that part of it is because if you didn't understand English, you wouldn't have understood the question. :)