• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Dressy Watch Would You Pick?

mss22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/09
For business casual/suit and tie, which dressy watch would you pick from these:

pic.php

1966-3315_sml1.jpg

http://www.timeshops.net/Patek_Philippe_Geneve_Auto_Moonface_500.htm

kendog870

30/6/09
I would think a leather band has a more casual look, so either one of those i think would be casual. Oh nice watches :)

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
If it's between those two watches, the VC is the more "dressy" watch. Although I have a preference to the PAMs in general, I would not classify them as "dressy" watches.

mss22

7/7/09
Fiddo said:
If it's between those two watches, the VC is the more "dressy" watch. Although I have a preference to the PAMs in general, I would not classify them as "dressy" watches.

Oh interesting, I was under the impression that leather bands were typically for "dressy" watches.

How then can I tell if I'm getting a dress watch or not?

Thanks!

Hogan

Renowned Member
26/1/09
As much as I love that PAM, I think the VC might be the way to go. But I do wear my PAM with a suit and I get a lot of compliments.

RANDALL

Looking Around
9/7/09
I like the VC..but I gotta tell ya..I just purchased a Hublot Big Bang in rose gold and I can wear that one in the pool or the nicest place in town..the rubber strap is very versatile and after spending a few days in the winder..It has kept perfect time for two months now.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I like the VC as well.
There are sooooo many other options though.
Why did you pick these two?

mss22

7/7/09
q5? said:
I like the VC as well.
No reason in particular, I'm glad to hear other popular options.

I just really want a dressy watch that is actual replica of a real genuine watch. Half the watches I like I cant find corresponding real models.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i have that vc in rose gold. it is stunning. you might keep in mind the pam is less than 5,000.00 and the vc is 25,000.00. :shock:

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Hmm... strange to hear your comment that you can't find half of the collection in genuine world. I would say it's the opposite end of the spectrum. You can almost find the gen counterparts of the rep that you see these days.

Same here, the VC will be my choice for dress watch. Just FYI, that Panerai is huge at 47mm. It won't fit cufflinks, business dresses.

mss22

7/7/09
One of the posters said that they feel that leather is more casual, I was under the impression that most of the classic dress watches are leather bands and not metal.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
The Vacheron Constantin, that Panerai is in no way a dress watch, it might look good with a Suit, but it's not a dress watch.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
mss22 said:
q5? said:
I like the VC as well.

I just really want a dressy watch that is actual replica of a real genuine watch. Half the watches I like I cant find corresponding real models.

Well, there are a lot of very good dress reps out there that are better than that VC, to be blunt. With the exception of the VC Overseas (which is a truly great rep), most of the VC reps aren't that great. Understandably so, since most of the VC movements are incredibly complicated and impossible to reproduce in any way.

If you're really interested in a good dress rep, I would spend some time looking at Cartier. They do basically nothing but dress watches. And because the designs are somewhat simple, the reps are all pretty good. Personally, I'd look at the Tank Francaise (if you have small wrists), the Santos 100 or Roadster (if you have larger wrists), or the 42mm Ballon Bleu (ETA only-- do NOT get the 21j of that watch. It has had nothing but problems).

One final thing. Leather is not more or less casual. That's kind of like saying that a "shirt" is casual. It depends on the strap and the watch. If you've got a huge thick strap attached to a large watch like a PAM, that's not formal. It's casual. By contrast, a thin elegant alligator black strap paired with a Patek looks very elegant. All depends. But bear in mind one thing. If you buy a rep with a leather strap, regardless of how expensive it is, the "leather" strap will look and feel like garbage. Without exception.

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Check this link out- I asked a similar question re "dress watches" a week or so ago. Some nice pics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55081

BTW Fakey what would be YOUR dress watch?
cheers

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
seanf said:
If you're really interested in a good dress rep, I would spend some time looking at Cartier. They do basically nothing but dress watches.

Have you noticed that Cartier makes pink men's watches? Where would you put those on the dressiness scale?

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
ahw676 said:
Have you noticed that Cartier makes pink men's watches? Where would you put those on the dressiness scale?

That's not pink. That's salmon. Men don't wear pink. :D

mss22

7/7/09
seanf said:
mss22 said:
q5? said:
I like the VC as well.

Well, there are a lot of very good dress reps out there that are better than that VC, to be blunt. With the exception of the VC Overseas (which is a truly great rep), most of the VC reps aren't that great. Understandably so, since most of the VC movements are incredibly complicated and impossible to reproduce in any way.

If you're really interested in a good dress rep, I would spend some time looking at Cartier. They do basically nothing but dress watches. And because the designs are somewhat simple, the reps are all pretty good. Personally, I'd look at the Tank Francaise (if you have small wrists), the Santos 100 or Roadster (if you have larger wrists), or the 42mm Ballon Bleu (ETA only-- do NOT get the 21j of that watch. It has had nothing but problems).

One final thing. Leather is not more or less casual. That's kind of like saying that a "shirt" is casual. It depends on the strap and the watch. If you've got a huge thick strap attached to a large watch like a PAM, that's not formal. It's casual. By contrast, a thin elegant alligator black strap paired with a Patek looks very elegant. All depends. But bear in mind one thing. If you buy a rep with a leather strap, regardless of how expensive it is, the "leather" strap will look and feel like garbage. Without exception.

So basically I'm going to have to buy a real good quality leather strap for any replica I get. How much do those run?

The only watch I own right now is a Tissot prc200 so I really dont have much experience with watch styles etc.

I'm looking for a watch that would work perfect with business casual or a suit.