• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
I have a very old school MBW-case AP ROO franken. I'd like to get rid of the case as it has a many flaws compared to a JF case. I've already lost three pusher covers, I cannot fit a good looking bracelet, the tachymeter has about a 1mm difference from where it should sit, and I also need to change a couple of components on the inside to gen parts. All of that makes me think a "transfer" of the components to a JF case will solve the majority of these problems.

The original franken is a "white themes" ROO. A dial like that gives me two choices:
1) Convert it to a JF "White Themes" ROO
2) Convert it to a JF "Rubberclad White Themes" ROO

I really like both solutions: The white themes has a very clean and classy design, but I love the colour contrast and sportiness of a White Themes Rubberclad.

What would you personally and subjectively do if you were me? In case I want to trade it for another franken after a couple of years (or months), which one of these builds would appeal more to people and therefore have a highest trade value?

I think it’s a personal preference but I saw both Watches at Domi, the white Rubberclad and the white Themes with SS Bezel.

For me the color Contrast with the black Rubber Bezel and the Bezel Screws is amazing in live.
Your right, it’s a little bit more sporty look. just with me with the wide Diver Strap.

Personally, I would always choose the Rubberclad, but like I said, it's my taste.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have a very old school MBW-case AP ROO franken. I'd like to get rid of the case as it has a many flaws compared to a JF case. I've already lost three pusher covers, I cannot fit a good looking bracelet, the tachymeter has about a 1mm difference from where it should sit, and I also need to change a couple of components on the inside to gen parts. All of that makes me think a "transfer" of the components to a JF case will solve the majority of these problems.

The original franken is a "white themes" ROO. A dial like that gives me two choices:
1) Convert it to a JF "White Themes" ROO
2) Convert it to a JF "Rubberclad White Themes" ROO

I really like both solutions: The white themes has a very clean and classy design, but I love the colour contrast and sportiness of a White Themes Rubberclad.

What would you personally and subjectively do if you were me? In case I want to trade it for another franken after a couple of years (or months), which one of these builds would appeal more to people and therefore have a highest trade value?

I’ll offer you a slightly different perspective with regard to your options:

1. The gen white themes uses a 3126/3840 movement, has a steel bezel and costs slightly more than the gen rubberclad and is available until the H series.

2. The gen white rubberclad uses a 2326 or 2226/2840 movement, and a steel bezel “clad” in hard rubber (and hence the name) and is available till the G series. H series exists for the black dial and i series for the RG versions and these use the 3126 movements.

Aesthetics aside, I will recommend you build the rubberclad. The LWO283 movement is more accurate to the 2326/2840 movement and both have a rectangular date window on the movement. The 3126/3840 movements uses a square window and that’s a visible difference. Take note also that the F,G and H date fonts all vary, with the G and H fonts being closer. Likewise the cyclop also varies for all 3 series. You can experiment for combinations for either model you’re building.
Mikey hands are also better suited for the older AP models because the stack, finish and bevel are different from the H series ROOs. You can get away more in terms of accuracy by going for the rubberclad if you’re using Mikey hands.
Personally I also prefer the look of the rubberclad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I’ll offer you a slightly different perspective with regard to your options:

1. The gen white themes uses a 3126/3840 movement, has a steel bezel and costs slightly more than the gen rubberclad and is available until the H series.

2. The gen white rubberclad uses a 2326 or 2226/2840 movement, and a steel bezel “clad” in hard rubber (and hence the name) and is available till the G series. H series exists for the black dial and i series for the RG versions and these use the 3126 movements.

Aesthetics aside, I will recommend you build the rubberclad. The LWO283 movement is more accurate to the 2326/2840 movement and both have a rectangular date window on the movement. The 3126/3840 movements uses a square window and that’s a visible difference. Take note also that the F,G and H date fonts all vary, with the G and H fonts being closer. Likewise the cyclop also varies for all 3 series. You can experiment for combinations for either model you’re building.
Mikey hands are also better suited for the older AP models because the stack, finish and bevel are different from the H series ROOs. You can get away more in terms of accuracy by going for the rubberclad if you’re using Mikey hands.
Personally I also prefer the look of the rubberclad.

These are amazing insights.

Does the 2326 affect anything else besides date window shape?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
These are amazing insights.

Does the 2326 affect anything else besides date window shape?

The 2326 (or 2226)/2840 is a predecessor of the 3126/3840. Visually, the date font, cyclop and yes date window shape on the movement will differ from the 3126 movement.
Of course, the power reserve of the movement is shorter too (38-40hrs vs 50-55hrs for the 3126/3840) and the rotor looks different. An example of a model which uses the 2326/2840 movement is the ROO Ruben Barrichello 2.

Reactions: Allure

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Thanks for that!
It looks like the black dial early series rubberclad might also use the 2326/2840 based on this reference from watchbase? Is this actually correct? It looks like they used it intermittently through 2011 on a bunch of models including RB. The levels of refinement, higher PR and bidirectional winding on the 3126, just for starters, make it so much more desirable. And consequently low beat vs high beat movements are also tells on AP ROO, depending on the model! mind, blown.

https://watchbase.com/audemars-piguet/caliber/ap-2326-2840

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for that!
It looks like the black dial early series rubberclad might also use the 2326/2840 based on this reference from watchbase? Is this actually correct? It looks like they used it intermittently through 2011 on a bunch of models including RB. The levels of refinement, higher PR and bidirectional winding on the 3126, just for starters, make it so much more desirable. And consequently low beat vs high beat movements are also tells on AP ROO, depending on the model! mind, blown.

https://watchbase.com/audemars-piguet/caliber/ap-2326-2840

To be honest, I am not sure when the 3126/3840 replaces the 2326/2840 movement. There seems to be, as you rightfully pointed out, transition-period models which can be found with both movements. The black RC could be one model, and the Navy is another, both of which could be found with both the new and old movements. Of course the 3126/3840 cal. is much preferred, as the older movement offered no advantage at all.

Reactions: Allure and Jurgenk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Finally arrived from Vic, black Hornback with black Stiching
Amazing quality

219d015219c72e9b1e6db654945b060c.jpg

3173676e8be8d2b653538c53ddb1dcd5.jpg

f3f998e37cc243333f8be0ac60e3939b.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
634d5a16b2bf872d928b3fe79bd07624.jpg

2346f5c5b893dd28a30d130c1570c93c.jpg

Not bad looking flying-tommy but try to get gen hands to complete the build. The hands you have are more accurate VS the F series ROO but a little out of place on the H series as it is a little flat. I will check if I have a set of gen H series hands for this model. Seeing your watch reminds me that I could have one for this model stashed somewhere in my spares box.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Not bad looking flying-tommy but try to get gen hands to complete the build. The hands you have are more accurate VS the F series ROO but a little out of place on the H series as it is a little flat. I will check if I have a set of gen H series hands for this model. Seeing your watch reminds me that I could have one for this model stashed somewhere in my spares box.

Hey Legend, thanks for your good input. You are absolutely right and I would love to buy a Set from the H Series from you!

Thanks again
Thomas

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hey Legend, thanks for your good input. You are absolutely right and I would love to buy a Set from the H Series from you!

Thanks again
Thomas

I’ll have a look and PM you Thomas. Just to confirm yours is the H series black rubberclad right? Chrome central chrono hand, black subdial hands and of course the gen H series hour and min hands. I really think I have a set lying around thanks to your wonderful pics. :)
Let me get back to you on this sir.

Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I’ll have a look and PM you Thomas. Just to confirm yours is the H series black rubberclad right? Chrome central chrono hand, black subdial hands and of course the gen H series hour and min hands. I really think I have a set lying around thanks to your wonderful pics. :)

Yep, that's it brother.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12

It’s the last generation from the black Rubberclad with the Chrome in the Hands for Chrono Hands.

bc214110748cd825e54a50f0215b5443.jpg

Reactions: TimeValue

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
To be honest, I am not sure when the 3126/3840 replaces the 2326/2840 movement. There seems to be, as you rightfully pointed out, transition-period models which can be found with both movements. The black RC could be one model, and the Navy is another, both of which could be found with both the new and old movements. Of course the 3126/3840 cal. is much preferred, as the older movement offered no advantage at all.

Been away for a few weeks and this old thread has got a serious lifeline :)

On a more serious note, frankenists like myself would appreciate the older JLC based 2840 calibre as something that can actually be serviced outside of AP’s service centres. For gen owners that’s not apparently a concern, although I know for a fact that people complain about AP’s service fees (and timeframes). But all in all, I sold all my 3120/26
movements and replaced them with a sparkling brand new 2840 for my new GP build even if not reference correct for that model. But hey, that’s me ;)

Reactions: legend and Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07

On a more serious note, frankenists like myself would appreciate the older JLC based 2840 calibre as something that can actually be serviced outside of AP’s service centres. For gen owners that’s not apparently a concern, although I know for a fact that people complain about AP’s service fees (and timeframes). But all in all, I sold all my 3120/26
movements and replaced them with a sparkling brand new 2840 for my new GP build even if not reference correct for that model. But hey, that’s me ;)

Not only did it revive this thread, it rescued the self-esteem of my G and H series Franken RCs powered by LWO283s and Mikey Hands and DWs. We’re just gonna call them 2840s from now on.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Welcome back T and I’m looking forward to admire that GP franken! ;)

Reactions: Allure and Jurgenk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Two new Projects coming soon.

AP 42mm Safari with:

- Gen Dial and Tachy (brand new foiled from AP)
- Gen Hands Full Set
- Gen Cyclopes
- Gen Deployment Clasp
- Mikey Datewheel

AP 42mm RG Rubberclad with:

- Gen Dial and Tachy (brand new foiled from AP)
- Gen Hands Full Set (Hour and Minute Hands needs to Gold plated)
- Gen Cyclopes
- Mikey Datewheel
- all RG Parts (Case, Crown, Plots, H/M Hands) needs to gold plated after Domis Case work.

This Project will need much time. I got a last Rubberclad RG Watch from a TD. 6 TD‘s and PT don’t get the Watch, it’s out of Production.

Pictures coming in the next days.

Reactions: legend and Jurgenk