• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Welcome to the Brig Miele - 100% accurate reps?

Miele

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/5/15
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm wondering if there's any reps that could even fool a watchmaker. I've searched pure time and seen some amazing quality watches on there, ones that have taken years to replicate fully. (http://www.pure-time.com/product/planet-ocean-42mm-liquidmetal-limited-edition-11-noob-best-edition/)

So, can you fool a watchmaker with the highest grade replica? (the best quality replica of any brand) Any opinions are welcome, thanks :)

Edit: I don't actually want to scam my 73 year old local watch maker, this is just out of interest (I'm sure many have wondered it)

xpletiv

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/10
Gah! Really?!
You can tell that you haven't read a thing, mainly for the fact that this is NOT the 'no flame zone'!

So before hell gets raised, do some reading, do ALOT of reading!

Why is the sky blue?

David0944

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/11
Ok. There are ALWAYS differences. While a lot of the price of high end Gens is,for marketing and reputation, there is still a vast difference in quality of materials and QC. Any competent watchmaker will know the differences, especially on inspection of the Movement. There is simply no way to rep a Patek, Rolex , Omega , etc movement. These companies spend years and millions investing in the design and manufacturing of their movements. If they could be copied by some unskilled labor in a mobile warehouse that easily, the luxury watch industry would collapse. Even "genuine" Swiss ETA movements are usually old, rebuilt unreliable movements. Most gen companies, even if they use stock ETA's do a lot of customization to the movements.
Spend just a little time reading here and you'll understand the differences better than I can state them in such a short time.

Miele

INMATE
8/5/15
Gah! Really?!
You can tell that you haven't read a thing, mainly for the fact that this is NOT the 'no flame zone'!

So before hell gets raised, do some reading, do ALOT of reading!

Why is the sky blue?
Everyone's entitiled to their opinion, some people like myself don't have enough time to dedicate to this hobby (even though I really would like to) however still want the highest grade possible.

Miele

INMATE
8/5/15
Ok. There are ALWAYS differences. While a lot of the price of high end Gens is,for marketing and reputation, there is still a vast difference in quality of materials and QC. Any competent watchmaker will know the differences, especially on inspection of the Movement. There is simply no way to rep a Patek, Rolex , Omega , etc movement. These companies spend years and millions investing in the design and manufacturing of their movements. If the could be copied by some unskilled labor in a mobile warehouse that easily, the luxury watch industry would collapse.
Thanks for the sensible reply! You hit the nail on the head and saved me hours of research.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Well, since you don't have time to do any research for yourself. There are lots of sites on the Internet that offer "Swiss Made Replicas that are indistinguishable from the genuine watch".

Miele

INMATE
8/5/15
Well, since you don't have time to do any research for yourself. There are lots of sites on the Internet that offer "Swiss Made Replicas that are indistinguishable from the genuine watch".
Haha, I know it sounds a bit idiotic that I don't have time but want the best I can get without putting in the effort and research but If you don't ask, you don't get.

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm wondering if there's any reps that could even fool a watchmaker. I've searched pure time and seen some amazing quality watches on there, ones that have taken years to replicate fully. (http://www.pure-time.com/product/planet-ocean-42mm-liquidmetal-limited-edition-11-noob-best-edition/)

So, can you fool a watchmaker with the highest grade replica? (the best quality replica of any brand) Any opinions are welcome, thanks :)

Edit: I don't actually want to scam my 73 year old local watch maker, this is just out of interest (I'm sure many have wondered it)

Hey man, just read the forums for a few weeks. I have learned a lot and asking minimal questions. Seriously just take the time. You will thank yourself later on. Trust Me. :thumbup:

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Haha, I know it sounds a bit idiotic that I don't have time but want the best I can get without putting in the effort and research but If you don't ask, you don't get.
At least you're honest.

But unfortunately reps that can fool watchmakers require a FRANKEN to be built and that requires LOTS of time which you don't have.

The real danger is that UNLESS you do LOTS of research (IE invest time), you may very well order the correct item, upon advise of a wise man here, but you may not receive the correct item, and you'll never know, because you didn't put in a couple of hours reading.

FoboS

Horology Curious
9/2/15
A bit condescending don't you think... And it sounds like you know what you want to get... Tough your question doesn't really make any sense... Deep down before you wrote it did you really think that there is a chance that there is 100% accurate watch?

prefuse07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/15
I'm not trying to offend you OP, but what you are asking is the typical n00b attitude of wanting the best without putting in the effort yourself... in other words, you would like someone here, who has already "put in time" to recommend you something that fits your standards -- that is simply not going to happen... it's just not the way it works.

As a fellow n00b to this hobby, I suggest you put off buying the rep you are searching for and take a tip from this thread, do a ton of reading, then make your purchase. It will pan out, trust me.

And also, just in case you aren't already aware of this, there is no such thing as a perfect 1:1 rep. (another n00b fantasy, that you will learn with time/reading on here).

:cheers:

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
The real danger is that UNLESS you do LOTS of research (IE invest time), you may very well order the correct item, upon advise of a wise man here, but you may not receive the correct item, and you'll never know, because you didn't put in a couple of hours reading.
+1. Well said Capt.

Op, you don't have to spend a lot of time and read a lot in a single seating, you may spend 15 mins a day and eventually, in time, you'll be able to learn alot. I myself haven't read a lot as much as I wanted to, but I make sure that I educate myself enough to know the basics, it took me 3 months of reading before buying my first rep. Some may take more, some less, but the more you educate yourself, the happier you'll be in this hobby.

D

d4m.test

Hi Miele, the question requires some lite modification: "Are there visually 98% accurate reps? Such that if I showed it to my watchmaker at 50cm distance, without him using a lupe and without touching it could mistake it for the gen?"
Reps are like façades in a western movie - as long as You don´t touch them or look behind, some of the best will pass for the real thing.
You will need a super-rep and from these You will need a specific sample that is the best out of ten.

Take 2: What are tells? Oh, there are many, for instance how the datewheel looks - so take a watch without date:) How the subdial is placed - take off the subdial:) How the seconds hand looks and ticks - take off the seconds How the markers are placed - take off as many markers as possible...... How the backcase is engraved - choose a model that has no backcase engravings etc. - You see where this is heading?

Headstart:
gen vs. rep reviews - these are very enjoyable;
Ale´s pam guide - a masterpiece, You can well spend the first 15 minutes there:)
have fun researching