• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproof or not?: Guide to helping your reps survive water

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
I have a GMT IIc and a JLC NSD that both have a few (~5) bubbles that excape from around the edge of the crystal when I test to 6atm. This isn't a steady stream just approximately 5 bubbles leaking out. This happens during the initial pressure bleed off for the first few seconds after releasing chamber pressure. Is this something I should be worried about? There were no other bubbles coming from any part of the watch other than the crystal.

Pop out your crystal, and run a thin bead of resi-bond around the gasket, and refit your crystal. Resi-bond is a clear bonding agent, and any excess can be wiped aft with a little cap cod, or acetone.

maroon

Known Member
3/11/13
i too love the post ... brilliant ...

how about another watch ... anything diff with a Pam?

Armypsych

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/13
Very good write up I will look into this with my first once it gets here.

mutazjab

Looking Around
12/2/15
I am new here . Thank you I am happy to join and get such a useful information .

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Have any total modding novices given this mod a try? I'm thinking of trying it on my GMT II v2 that should be arriving soon

Sonil

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
17/3/15
What a fantastic tutorial! This write-up is absolutely fantastic...

I'm a modding noob and while the crown-stem release scared me, I did attempt this mod...managed to remove the movement and fill the HEV hole before greasing all the gaskets. And I made it through to tell the story with a beating watch!

I did this mod on the new Noob Seadweller 116600 v2 and I can't wait to get it pressure tested by local watchsmith during the week. Only other thing I can think of to make this even more waterproof is to remove the crystal and re-cement it - not sure it's worth doing though, because I understand the crystals are already applied very well from the factory.

While I had the movement out, I tried to gently prod the 6 marker on the dial so as to re-align it perfectly - it's a QC issue on most Noob SDs...and indeed, a little nudge and it is now perfectly aligned.

I had a "hold-your-breath" moment, when I put the crown-stem back in during re-assembly and the watch didn't start beating...I keep hearing warnings about damaging the "keyless works" - needless to say that as a complete noob I have no idea what it was...but I could see that the crown wasn't perfectly engaging with one of the first gears - so I kept gently fiddling around with it...until 20 mins later, it clicked into place and the watch started beating again. The winding/time- and date-setting seems to be a bit dodgy now and I am having to be very gentle with the crown, but at least it is fully functional again.

Anyway, thanks again to the OP and feel free to let me have any constructive comments on the above.

Reactions: Sub7

jer2911tx2

Known Member
22/6/15
great post, but I don't trust myself to crack open any of my watches and attempt to do anything with them.
do we have any members who can waterproof watches for people (preferably in the U.S.)?

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
My Noob Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was able to be waterproofed by Vac to 5ATM.

Floyd

18/9/15
This is such a great post. I think I'll try this with one of my cheap watches before doing it with one I care about. [MENTION=98736]Sonil[/MENTION] freaked me out about the keyless works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterSplinter

24/4/15
I think I'm going to take my watch to local watch shop to see if I can have it tested. I don't trust myself to take apart my watch to water proof it

undercoverz

17/9/15
Great post! Is the OMEGA SMP Chrono gen or no? It certainly looks very gen-like I'd day.

moscamara

Horology Curious
6/12/15
great post, I am going to bookmark it. This question comes up almost every day from our noobs.

thelittleprince

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/7/16
Since seeing a great deal of posts over time regarding this issue, here's a bit of a layman's tutorial on how to help waterproof your watches. :)

Contrary to popular belief, these rep watches are more waterproof than they're given credit for--the sports models, mind you--not the more refined "banker's" watches like Vacheron Constantin, Patek, etc. It's worth the extra $15, or whatever your area watch repair shops currently charge to have it pressure tested (if you're state-side, google the stores Fast Fix, Precision Time, etc.--they test any watch on site, for cheap--Precision Time even uses the good 6-10 ATM vacuum tester, not the Bergeon water one).

I've yet to have one of my own pieces (or one I've tested for somebody else) that failed waterproofing, and living on the water in Florida, I swim & shower in all of mine, constantly. There's nothing I can think of more horologically absurd looking than the guys with the multi-thousand dollar sports watches who take them off before stepping into the pool. Genuine or not, nothing screams "fake" faster than a diving watch that can't get wet...

I've always tried to do my homework to make sure the reps I purchased were well researched (i.e. closest to gen as I could get), and even went through good measure to modify them even more so--including religiously re-greasing & testing my watches a minimum of twice a year simply so that I can swim and dive in them...without worry.

Some examples of what's possible to achieve with proper treatment:

My SS Sub 16610 always tested solid to 6 ATMs & was swam in chlorine pools regularly.

IMG_0019.jpg

My 16610 LV tested the same and hit both the pool and the ocean for snorkeling.

IMG_0040.jpg

My SMP chrono tested to 10 ATMs & also went down to nearly 100 ft, and was in the pool on almost a daily basis.

IMG_0004.jpg

My PAM 051 also tested to 6 ATMs and was also in the pool almost every day I had it.

IMG_0005.jpg

My SSD V2 tested to 6 ATMs but for some reason it never managed to see anything more than the inside of a shower.

IMG_0262.jpg

My DSSD V3 tested to 10 ATMs as well.

rtdfgerg.jpg

My V5 also tested to 10 ATMs and has been down to around 80 feet; it also sees daily showers and the occasional lap swim.

IMG_1352.jpg

Keep in mind--as stated earlier--these have all been treated with silicon grease and sealed up tighter than a crab's ass. I would NEVER take a rep straight from the box into the water.Never.
I don't care if you actually paid extra for your dealer to supposedly "waterproof" the piece for you; I can guarantee you through personal experience it didn't happen. QC is simply non-existent for reps when it comes to water-damage--loose case-backs, incorrectly seated crystal gaskets, no grease on the O-rings, etc.

The only pieces I've ever had that didn't hit the water were my Presidential, the DateJust, and my 116520.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

And they were all tested, and my smith didn't exactly say they completely failed, but did say he "wouldn't trust them". Not having a triple-lock crown is reason enough to stay out of the drink (i.e. Datejusts, DayDates, etc.) The Daytona I never took swimming as I was paranoid about how tight the pushers were seated.

That being said, metal on metal is impossible to water-proof; it's all about the O-rings & gaskets. And the more points of entry you have to a watch--HEVs, chrono-pushers, crystals, casebacks, etc.--the more possibilities you have for leakage.

Short story:

All three parts of the triple-lock system (non-Rolex models will probably only have two of the following three) and case-back will need to be greased:

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

1) The crown's inside gasket
2) the tube's outer gasket, and
3) the tube's inner gasket

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

If you have silicon grease, at least apply some to the back gasket & tube gaskets if you can't get it pressure tested. This is the trick to water-tightness; well lubricated gaskets. It's actually the rubber that seals the watch--metal on metal does absolutely nothing for waterproofing. Also make sure the crown is screwed down tight (not too tight--as in not wrenching it down with all your might), and make sure the caseback is on tight as well. No offense to anyone who's tried, but please don't try those ridiculous homemade pressure tests like dropping your rep in a glass of hot water looking for bubbles...

*sigh*

No need to fear the anti-rep wrath of an AD either--go to your local el-cheapo watch or jewelry repair store/kiosk; almost all have pressure testers for watches and generally charge between $10-$20 dollars to test it. I can't stress enough how important this is if you want proof-positive assurance that your piece is now sealed properly. And a $15 test is a lot cheaper than a movement overhaul.

And the not-so-short story:

If you want to go the full monty and seal your fake HEV from the inside and completely mod out the watch, check out my DSSD mod-tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51221

If you only want to seal the HEV & grease it, then here it is...

Buy some two-ply marine waterproofing epoxy (colors and brands will vary)

IMG_1027.jpg

Remove your case-back and crown--since there is no 36.5mm die on the open market until 2010, the DSSDs require an adjustable case-back wrench (easily and inexpensively found on Amazon or eBay)

IMG_1073.jpg

Regular 40mm Rolex cases will simply take a normal 29.5 mm die

IMG_0025-3.jpg

Release the crown by GENTLY depressing this button with nothing smaller than a 1.1mm flathead screwdriver--pull the crown out from the time-set position while depressing the release button--take care to NOT push the release all the down, unless you like rebuilding keyless works or paying someone else to do it.

IMG_0026-1.jpg

Remove the screws holding the movement and set the movement aside.

Mix a small amount of equal portions of the epoxy

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

With a sharp point, apply enough to fill the HEV's hole, and just slightly past the hole to insure against seepage

IMG_1035.jpg

Allow this to completely cure before putting the movement back in--drying time will vary from hours to overnight, depending on brand.

After putting the movement back in, be sure to grease the case-back gasket:

IMG_1004.jpg

And all three parts of the triple-lock system (non-Rolex models will probably only have two of the following three):

1) The crown's inside gasket
2) the tube's outer gasket, and
3) the tube's inner gasket

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

Now, simply reinsert the crown and tighten down the case-back. Your watch should now be tighter than a Neverland Ranch visitor.

However, as people often do, if you do wind up swimming or even showering in the watch without greasing it, and it does wind up fogging under the crystal, it's leaking--IMMEDIATELY remove the case-back, and pull the crown all the way out to the time-set position (this will also stop the movement from running on those movements with hacking features--2836-2, 7750s, etc.). Find a bucket of Damp-rid (Calcium Chloride):

5005882_5.jpg

...and place the watch inside as soon as you can. Open the package, seal the watch inside with the lid, and leave it overnight; it will completely remove any moisture in the watch. Of course, because of the leakage, you'll eventually have to find someone to oil the watch. Light, non-salt water leaks aren't too serious, but for longevity's sake, they'll probably need an oiling sooner than they would without a leak

http://www.damprid.com/

NOTE:

On the subject, there's sort of a catch-22 to water leakage...

In a swimming pool or spa, you're in contact with chlorine, which shrinks gaskets and could lead to leaking (rare, and usually if it's been a while since the gaskets were greased); but chlorine water won't rust or completely destroy the movement like salt-water will. But with swimming in the ocean there's obviously no chlorine, so the salt-water is fine on the gaskets, but salt-water completely destroys movements. So your piece might be water-tight from the box, but please grease it first, because if it leaks, it's damned if you do & damned if you don't.

It only takes a few minutes; then you can pay a visit to your local watch repair shop and they should be able to test it for you for about $15. It only takes five minutes and will save you hundreds of dollars/pounds/Euros/Yuan/Yen. :)

Hope this helps you take a bit of weight off your shoulders and maybe procure a well-deserved dip, as well (I hope it's been entertaining at the very least).

Good luck, and take care!

Im really sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead i just cant help but as where you got that beautiful presidential, ive been looking for a day date watch for a while and that is by far the best looking one that i have ever seen!!! Is it a 36mm?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
If you ever want to "extreme test" your watches without any risk of dammage ... get a GREINER POSEIDON LT 100 + accessories
All the ultimate pressure and vacumm (no water) kit for "only" 6000 USD.
If you're both compulsive buyer, watch-switcher and diver that could be worthy ... Just throw 20 of your beloved reps on RWI Sales and that's it :laugh:

LT100.jpg
550101t.jpg
550102t.jpg